Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying inside new structural steel building construction - working through compass errors

2nd2non

Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone has been successful flying inside a new building construction with structural steel floors and beams. I’m trying to capture repeatable fly throughs as the building progresses. Obviously, the compass doesn’t like it.

I have a DJI Inspire2 which maintains altitude well and due to little wind blowing through, lateral roll control is manageable. But the camera yaw is just all over the place. I eventually just shut it down and used my handles to walk the path, but could get the exterior into interior transitions. I also tried a Mavic Pro, but it couldn’t maintain altitude nor was the lateral movement easy to keep from flying straight. This is with and without tripod mode.
Any suggestions?
Other drones that work better?

You have to fly without GPS activated, but be very careful. The steel will interfere with the radio frequency, been there done that. Very nerve racking!:eek:

Yes, know this very well [emoji37]

Reactions: AH-1G
I have flown inside quite a few different sports arenas with success. Using P4 and P3P in nonGPS mode.
The P4 VPS is much better and as the floor is unobstructed had very little issues.
Startup must done above the arena floor as the metal in the floor will give compass errors, but as long as it's started 3 feet above the floor it worked well. I would normally be more than 3 feet from any large metal internal structure and the compass is good.

Reactions: 2nd2non
Has anyone tried the Mavic air and flying through structures or buildings with lots of steel that typically interferes with the compass? I'm wondering how the mavic air performs in these situations.

I just shot video and stills, in 4k & 1080, from inside a very large & a small church, among other work. I used my P3P in Atti mode, GPS off and carefully pre-planned my path and maneuvers. Given that, it took several runs to get the "pull back, laterals and approaches" the client wanted. The large main area was over 40 feet high and had arched structural steel beams. The smaller area was very tight so I used my Spark in 1080 and it worked fine, again no GPS. I can only add that it takes a level of confidence and experience doing those kind of inside jobs. I use to practice my Atti mode flying in some abandoned buildings, with owner/developer permission, in those conditions. I always use prop guards with string between the guards when needed. Fly slow!

Reactions: eColumbia99
No and not sure why I didn't? My ST16 controller has the ability to utilize other forms of controlling the drone with out the joy sticks.
In other words a control with in my controller. I can fly extremely slow.
View attachment 228
Interested in how you did this, I have the H and had a flyaway whilst (unknowingly) I was on a road bridge with steel underneath.
So if you are flying without the sticks are you using the d pads? I didn't realise they could be used effectively without GPS?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM