Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying Near a Wildfire

aerialimagery

Reaction score
We've got some serious fires in our area, and I even heard a radio announcement reminder about the potential dangers of flying a drone near a wildfire, because of all the low-flying aircraft.

My house is about two miles away from a substantial fire and I just wanted to get a quick view of the situation, but I don't know how "near" is defined.

Is there a standard radius to determine a no-fly zone if there is a wildfire?

We've got some serious fires in our area, and I even heard a radio announcement reminder about the potential dangers of flying a drone near a wildfire, because of all the low-flying aircraft.

My house is about two miles away from a substantial fire and I just wanted to get a quick view of the situation, but I don't know how "near" is defined.

Is there a standard radius to determine a no-fly zone if there is a wildfire?

Check NOTAMS and TFR's for the area via the FAA. A TFR could be for 1 mile or 30 miles but unless you check it yourself you won't know. 2 miles from a wildfire is wickedly close in terms of Aerial traffic IMHO.

If my house was only 2 miles away from a significant wild fire, that's all the information I would need. I'd be busy packing the car, not launching a drone. Years ago, a friend of mine living in Laguna Beach was told to evacuate the area by the fire department. 30 minutes later his house was burning to the ground. Best of luck with the fire. It can move fast.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for the TFR info. I hadn't known about that. I checked and I am just outside of it by about a 3/4 mile. Where we are we are not being called to evacuate or even to be on alert to evacuate.

Even if there are no restrictions in place, it is a really bad idea. The pilots are focused on where there drop is, they are contending with unstable air, low viability, and flying low enough for an effective water or retardant drop. You don't know what direction they may be coming from and the last thing they need is a drone popping up, DON'T DO IT. I live very close to the Mariposa fire that is ragging right now, there is no way I would want to be flying around it.

Thanks for the TFR info. I hadn't known about that. I checked and I am just outside of it by about a 3/4 mile. Where we are we are not being called to evacuate or even to be on alert to evacuate.
"thanks for the TFR info. I hadn't known about that. " Are you 107?

Wildfire Pilots are flying in the worst possible conditions known to aviation... Low, Slow, heavy (and possibly heavier than designed), in nasty turbulent air, smoke filling the cockpit, and in an insanely HIGH STRESS situation. Why not go ahead and give them one more option to deal with?

Come on man.... seriously for the sake of their lives and our industry just don't do it. No drone flight, picture, video is worth the risk you'd be inducing for ALL OF US!!

Yes I have my 107.

No, I would not do anything hazardous to the pilots and crews. However, you don't know the situation, the paths the aircraft are flying, that I can hear the helicopters coming and going well in advance (though they don't fly over my house), that the wind changed and the air is clear between me and the fires, etc., and that I am well outside of the TFR and 3 miles from the actual fires.

Last edited:
Yes I have my 107.

No, I would not do anything hazardous to the pilots and crews. However, you don't know the situation, the paths the aircraft are flying, that I can hear the helicopters coming and going well in advance (though they don't fly over my house), that the wind changed and the air is clear between me and the fires, etc., and that I am well outside of the TFR and 3 miles from the actual fires.
What's the urgency to fly so close to a wild fire? Those pilots have enough to worry about.

What's the urgency to fly so close to a wild fire? Those pilots have enough to worry about.

Who said there was an "urgency," who said I would cause pilots to worry, and who says 3 miles is close to a wildfire? What regulation says we're supposed to enlarge a TFR and if so by how much?

I wanted to take a picture of an historic event near my house. I said I wanted to do it legally and safely. There are no aircraft flying over my house and the air is clear. I was asking for information and not to be preached a sermon about a situation that is not fully understood by those who are not here.

As it turns out there is a much better view a few miles further out from the ground.

It's very annoying sometimes on these boards when there are some posters just waiting to play drone police or to tell someone off.

I just wanted some information so I can make a reasonable and safe decision and stay out of trouble. I wasn't asking for orders or for guilt trips for something I was considering.

Last edited:
As someone who often works for the national news networks, let me reiterate that no-one should fly a drone anywhere remotely near a wildfire. If a drone is spotted, then the authorities will often pull all their aircraft from the fire scene until the drone situation is resolved. Please don't be an impediment to fire suppression. If it's a wildfire, then don't fly.

Who said there was an "urgency," who said I would cause pilots to worry, and who says 3 miles is close to a wildfire? What regulation says we're supposed to enlarge a TFR and if so by how much?

I wanted to take a picture of an historic event near my house. I said I wanted to do it legally and safely. There are no aircraft flying over my house and the air is clear. I was asking for information and not to be preached a sermon about a situation that is not fully understood by those who are not here.

As it turns out there is a much better view a few miles further out from the ground.

It's very annoying sometimes on these boards when there are some posters just waiting to play drone police or to tell someone off.

I just wanted some information so I can make a reasonable and safe decision and stay out of trouble. I wasn't asking for orders or for guilt trips for something I was considering.
Ask and you shall receive.:D

Not intended to lecture (or lay on a guilt trip) but inform: if you need regulatory clarification ALWAYS contact your local FISDO office; they're just a phone call away. (We're a nice bunch in here. But you can never be certain that the fella offering advice is any more knowledgable than you are.)

A couple of points to keep in mind though; while you mention 3 miles in the quote above, in your original post you stated "about two miles away from a substantial fire." Since "substantial fire" would imply dense smoke, you probably don't have the 3 mile minimum vis for legal flight anyway. And, as Colorado 4K pointed out above, fire bosses are grounding their fire bombers when unauthorized drones are detected in the area - which could put your own house (and those of your neighbors) at risk.

Is it worth risking your own home (and your family?) for a photo (historical or otherwise)? You're the PIC, the call is yours.

No one is preaching but if you are anywhere near a wildfire you should not fly a drone without express permission, which I can't imagine anyone receiving. Recently in Colorado at a massive fire, a drone was spotted and it requires that all responding aircraft return to base. For an air tanker, that could be hundreds of miles away. This can cause severe delays in fighting the fire. It's common sense. As one who's lived in fire country for several decades, I'd rather have air response up and working rather than letting a lookie lou get a view of the fire for their own personal or financial gain. End of story.

When you post a question ONLINE and on a forum where the members tend to take our livelihood and safety very seriously I can't believe you'd be surprised to get a less than favorable reaction to such a question.

I'll be perfectly honest, considering everything at stake and the high attention any sUAS operations tend to get, I'm frankly pretty shocked that a professional would even consider this type of activity let alone try to "justify it" repeatedly.

What really surprised me (floored me tbh) was when you stated:
"thanks for the TFR info. I hadn't known about that."
TFR's should have been clearly covered in your Part 107 training and subsequent testing.

Here's a link that should help put some of this into perspective:
No Drone Zone

This is directly from NIFC - the National Interagency Fire Center.

I think it directly answers the questions...and the reasons why.

No one is trying to lecture, but when it comes to natural events like wildfires, an irresponsible decision with a drone can cost someone their house, or even their life.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS or drones)
Drones are fun, but potentially deadly in the wrong place
brushfire.jpg
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), generally called drones, are gaining in popularity. Although drones are fun to fly, they can be deadly if flown near wildfires. Drones can interfere with wildland fire air traffic, such as air tankers, helicopters, and other firefighting aircraft that are necessary to suppress wildland fires. Aerial firefighting missions including aerial supervision, air tanker retardant drops, helicopter water drops, and smokejumper paracargo occur between ground level and 200 feet above ground level, which is the same altitude that many hobbyist drones fly.

Hobbyist drones and firefighting aircraft don't mix. All authorized aircraft on an incident maintain radio communication with each other to safely coordinate their missions, but aerial firefighting flight crews have no way to communicate with drone operators. Aerial firefighting aircraft have no way to detect drones other than by seeing them, and visual detection is nearly impossible due to the small size of most drones. These factors make a mid-air collision with an unauthorized drone a distinct possibility.

If You Fly, Someone Could Die
aircraft.jpg
Even a tiny drone can cause a serious or fatal accident if it collides with firefighting aircraft. In most situations, if drones are spotted near a wildfire, firefighting aircraft must land due to safety concerns. This prolongs firefighting operations; in many cases, wildfires become larger when aircraft are not able to drop fire retardant, water, monitor wildfires from above, or provide tactical information to firefighters. Homes and other values at risk could burn needlessly, firefighters or others could be injured, or worst of all, a fatal accident could occur.

Flying a Drone Near a Wildfire is Breaking the Law
heli.jpg
Per the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, 43 CFR 9212.1(f), it is illegal to resist or interfere with the efforts of firefighter(s) to extinguish a fire. Doing so can result in a significant fine and/or a mandatory court appearance. So, be smart and just don't fly your drone anywhere near a wildfire. No amount of video or photos are worth the consequences.

Please, don't fly your drone near a wildfire!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Igwe3