Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Fully autonomus landing demo (video) with augmented reality trajectory gates.

clolsonus

Reaction score
Just something fun I was fiddling around with this weekend ... drawing the trajectory gates for the AuraUAS autonomous [fixed wing] landing system. We are using it on an in-house built ag drone trying to sample/capture insects at different altitudes. The main beast of interest is the spotted wing drosophila (an invasive fruit fly) that decimates fruit and berry crops:

Reactions: JDSimpson

R.Perry

Reaction score
That is pretty cool, other than seemed like a pretty hard landing, might try programming a little flare.

clolsonus

Reaction score
Thanks for the checking out the video. :) The camera is angled down which contributes to making it look like it didn't flare much (and on roll out it's probably only 8" above the ground so that also probably looks weird to someone who is used to the full size picture.) The tail skid actually touched first, and also I don't have a radar altimeter installed and the gps/baro just isn't accurate to the cm in altitude. Anyway, for this particular airplane size/mass it's actually a nice safe plunk down.

clolsonus

Reaction score
I'm not lazy, I just apply my energies in less visible areas ... and at different times. :)

R.Perry

Reaction score
I'm not lazy, I just apply my energies in less visible areas ... and at different times. :)
I'm sorry, I wasn't implying you were lazy. I'm just an old school guy that learned to fly without all the digital help. I flown a few with glass panels and they are really cool, and makes instrument approaches almost idiot proof.

clolsonus

Reaction score
No worries, after I posted my reply I realized I might have implied I thought you were implying I was lazy which wasn't my intent at all. :) I'm an old school computer geek and pilot wanna-be that always found full scale aviation about 2-5x more expensive than I could afford, so I have fun with RC airplanes and managed to wiggle my way into a UAV related day job.

Reactions: BigAl07

R.Perry

Reaction score
Uncle Sam taught me to fly for free, wasn't that nice of him. RC aircraft seem like they would be fun, but if I get anymore expensive hobbies wife will shoot me.

Reactions: clolsonus

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
DSAR Member
Reaction score
Excellent work. Thanks for sharing your video.

How are you capturing insects etc in flight?

clolsonus

Reaction score
We have 4 petri dishes converted to traps (with sticky stuff on the flat surface). These are attached to brackets connected to retract mechanisms. At launch and landing the traps fold up flush with the wing, and once at altitude we extend the traps into the windstream. They caused a lot of drag so we only do 4 traps.

Reactions: BigAl07

clolsonus

Reaction score
I created another video of the UMN AEM auto-land system. This is an augmented reality hud overlaid on action cam footage. I draw trajectory gates in 3d. All in all the rendering is tool I use to evaluate how well the autopilot system is doing. If there are any imperfections (like the horizon doesn't line up exactly) this is good because it shows I'm not cheating and I have more room for improvement. Did you catch the nearly full moon that shows up on the downwind and base leg? Did you watch the end of the video where I pick the airplane up and look back up the approach where I just came from? You can see the trajectory gates along with my actual path threading through them. The actual landing approach starts about t=1:35 into the video. We can fly up to sunset +30 minutes if the aircraft is properly lit, so we have it decked out with bright led light strips. The purpose of the mission is to hang insect traps out in the air and catch insects at various altitudes ... which is why we are flying at dusk when the insects are most active.

The full 30 minute flight (along with many others) is available on my raw/boring flight video channel: AuraUAS

R.Perry

Reaction score
I find what your doing very interesting. Autonomous landing have been around for a while. As the technology progresses I can see a day when we only have one pilot on many airline flights. Reality is they don't have much to do now in most cases.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphnerd