Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Gather around children, and let me be blunt...

In Canada, the cost of operating a drone is expensive. Transport Canada is very difficult to get flight approvals from, insurance rates are high, and the laws are looking like they will be tightened up. I am fortunate that the drone aspect is an added value to my work. That said the video production and photography world is filled with amateurs and semi amateurs, or those that just are not good at their craft. The reality is McDonalds sells hamburgers, while others offer and sell expensive steaks.
What is my point? You need search out niche market opportunities, be well above average in your abilities, and professional. Best of luck everyone.

Last edited:
The only way you stay in business, ANY business, is with repeat clients -- which you have to cultivate -- and that takes time. There are plenty of other providers that will undercut you just to start that relationship and plant their "seeds" before you do. You often need to play that same game and take a hit in the wallet until the time comes (ideally only a few projects into the relationship) where the client prefers to use you over the competition each time and values the quality of your work over your competitors. Once a strong client relationship is established, the client is often more understanding when you slowly increase your pricing -- or they ask more from you which then justifies an increase in your pricing model. Of course, you may lose the client at that point. But if your service is more reliable and your product is of higher caliber than the competition, you will often find that client calling you back in time.

My point is, it takes more than just buying a drone to start a business. Starting a business involves quite a bit of pain and patience at the start. Considering the competition in some areas (like real estate), you will most likely be lucky to break even at the start until a client gets to know you and prefers to use you over the amateurs.
Well said. There is also the additional opportunity cost of pursuing a drone based business to the exclusion of many far more lucrative businesses with less competition and a much greater upside, rather than a race to the bottom. Some passions are often best kept as hobbies, rather than trying to make a business out of them. Don't quit your day jobs just yet! ;)

I'd happily do $75 jobs if there were many of them clustered together and if they were on a regular basis. But once-in-awhile, no.

Hi there.

First time in a long time I've been here, because my first experience was with a thread about who wants to be called a "pilot" or not.

But lets forget that childish thread.

How about this?- "I want to make money, how do I do it?"

<BEGIN RANT>

The answer to this kiddies, is to NOT ***EVER*** TAKE THE PRICE THAT SOMEONE OFFERS.

I had a recent experience that shows me a couple things;

1. People are more concerned with flying drones "and getting paid for it", than making A REAL, SUSTAINABLE, BUSINESS MODEL INCOME.

2. People don't know JACK about business, and will come out of the woodwork to undercut others so that CUSTOMERS WILL EXPECT NO NEGOTIATION, AND CAN GET AWAY WITH STATING WHAT THEY WILL PAY, RATHER THAN BEING TOLD THEY NEED TO PAY A PRICE, THAT IS A SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS MODEL FEE.

3. People answering ads ARE LARGELY NOT PART 107 RATED, HAVE NO LIABILITY INSURANCE, AND ARE GETTING AWAY WITH IT SO AS TO FEED #1 and #2 ABOVE.

----------------

1. Watch this YouTube. WATCH ALL OF IT. Try to UNDERSTAND your work is VALUABLE. You WILL NOT "make money" by letting customers TELL YOU WHAT THEY WILL PAY. And PAY ATTENTION to the LAST part about NOT UNDERCUTTING THE OTHERS IN THE INDUSTRY.

2. My incident surrounded a blind cattle call by a MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR development corporation for "Drone Pilots" to send them pictures of their properties statewide for $75! I contacted them, told them my fee, and they told me "We have had such a response that we don't need you." I responded that;

"With even minimal travel time, the cost of liability insurance, and equipment, $75 in not a sustainable business model for ANYONE."

*** This is because IT IS NOT. Unless you get constant jobs outside the back door of your house, $75 is NOT sustainable. You know what it REALLY IS? CHUMP CHANGE, and this corporation and others like them KNOW THAT.

*** Those of you ACTUALLY PROPERLY LICENSED AND INSURED ***NEED TO INSTRUCT ALL CUSTOMERS*** they need to ASK for properly licensed individuals, they NEED to REQUIRE copies of their Part 107 licenses, and they NEED to REQUIRE copies of certificates of liability, just as ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL CONTRACTOR. You kids with drones need to understand that SOMEDAY, your drone WILL fly-away, or otherwise drop on somebody, something, or worse, and EVERYONE will be sued. You, the multi-million dollar corporation that told you that they would pay $75, and ANYONE ELSE they can.

Is THAT worth $75?

People- LET'S MAKE SOME MONEY OUT HERE. We CAN do it, but NOT acting like teenagers with drones, undercutting each other, letting customers set the price (have you ever gotten away with that at a store yourself?), and NOT REQUIRING proper credentials.

ACT LIKE YOU'RE IN BUSINESS, not that like you JUST WANT TO FLY YOUR DRONE.

</END RANT>
I agree with you. I'm waiting for Amway or some other pyramid business model to pop up and start 'ground floor' opportunities...As I'm not looking around too hard, they may already be out there. I am blessed in that I fly as part of my regular job. Insurance etc. is not my concern. All I need to do is acquire the data we need safely in a timely manner and in compliance with Part 107.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B0054890