Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

GCP Targets

JOECNC2006

Reaction score
Here are some inexpensive targets which worked well for me, I can place the center hole over nails pins etc. and they are easy to see in pictures, depending on altitude.
Old CD's with Bright sign Vinyl.

What are you using for DIY GCP's other than commercial ones?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 20
they are easy to see in pictures, depending on altitude.
CDs?? You must be flying very, very low.
Here are some I made by cutting up some old cardboard packaging.
i-gBDTSWt-XL.jpg

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
cd size targets can work for low-level projects. My projects usually require 180 - 300'. I6" targets are my go-to with 24" available if needed. I get 18 targets out of a 4x8 sheet of 3/16" plywood (18$ at big box). Stiff enough to be able to place a rock on a corner if needed when breezy.

1.jpg2.jpg

I have a Vinyl Plotter and a heat press. Bought it for my business stuff and the wife has turned it into her own little business. I ordered some black Vinyl and some reflective orange. I was thinking about making some ground control points. Now if you do not have Centimeter GPS to get GCP locations is it worth having GCP?

I guess I can see where getting contracted by people with surveying equipment it could be a great thing to have. Maybe some here can fill me in on that. I have limited experience mapping, but have done some Orthomosaics using Agrisoft Metashape.

Dave

You have to collect the exact X/Y/Z of the GCP's to have acurate Orthorectified images with out them you are just generatting a picture which is not to scale and not an orthorectified image. We use Trimble R6 units right now and in my Ortho image I an within 0.05' to 0.1' when I import the Image into civil3D and measure from know collected points such as curbing and other physical features which my crew had collected with GPS equipment. And on hard surfaces the Z is within about 0.0' to 0.15' and grass areas a little higher in some places.

But then again it depends on what your mission objective is.

Reactions: R Martin
We use A4 coated targets, but for resting targets, that shall be available for more days, we use numbered crosses made with yellow paint cans. This yellow paint vanishes in a couple of weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143