Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Global Drone Policies? A Good Move

There could be an ISO for drones. But surely this will still only affect commercial pilots. It still wont impact illegal uses of drones.

First ever global drone standards aim to regulate the ‘wild west’ of airspace

I read this story earlier today. Everyone and their dog thinks they have The Answer to regulating drones. Our FAA is the agency tasked with regulating US airspace, I doubt this will go far in the US. Europe? Probably.

"Earlier this year, some drone models manufactured by Chinese giant DJI, the world's largest consumer drones company, were found to be shutting down mid-flight.
Amateur drone pilots have also come close to causing mid air collisions with commercial aircraft."

This type of false alarmist garbage doesn't help...

Reactions: NetDep
I read this story earlier today. Everyone and their dog thinks they have The Answer to regulating drones. Our FAA is the agency tasked with regulating US airspace, I doubt this will go far in the US. Europe? Probably.

"Earlier this year, some drone models manufactured by Chinese giant DJI, the world's largest consumer drones company, were found to be shutting down mid-flight.
Amateur drone pilots have also come close to causing mid air collisions with commercial aircraft."

This type of false alarmist garbage doesn't help...

True but ISO is recognised in 162 countries. It is inevitable that there will be an ISO for professional drone flight. It just all idiots who try to speed test their drone against a jumbo jet that are the problem.

True but ISO is recognised in 162 countries. It is inevitable that there will be an ISO for professional drone flight. It just all idiots who try to speed test their drone against a jumbo jet that are the problem.
Agreed, I'm not against any "best practices" document, they seem to procreate like roaches, lately.;)

Well, I simply disagree with your assessment. If you come to this country you are expected to abide by our laws, no ISO involved. And being a retired police officers, I can speak with some clarity on the issue. It's no different that letting the UN dictate to the US what laws we are going to follow.

If you someone from America went to a different country they would have to adopt different standards. With an ISO you wouldn't have to.

I am glad to, and always do, follow the rules/laws of a Country I visit. I also expect that those Countries that promulgate those laws/rules do the best for their Countries and respond to the voices of their populations. If my drone is not welcome in another jurisdiction - I won't take it. If I am not welcome to take photographs of a certain thing - I won't do it - which is sometimes the case when I travel.

Not making this more than it is - IMHO - local populations elect officials to carry out their will and make laws that represent their values and know best for their own interest.

I did a background check in CADORS for death and injury for UAV related deaths and or injuries in Canada, specifically relating to commercial operation. The result also brought in some reports form other countries. My intent was to find out if there was something of which I should be aware when operating my UAV commercially for real estate photography. And I wanted the results to be with the DJI type of Phantom 4 or equivalent in size and weight. What I found was a bit surprising. Worldwide I could only find a couple of incidents where a UAV caused a plane to crash killing the occupants of the manned aircraft. Injuries of reported incidents with UAV is also almost non existent world wide, and zero deaths or injuries according to Transport Canada documents of incidents in Canada. What I did find was a lot of idiots flying their UAV above the allowable height, and close to airports, runways and manned aircraft. What I did not find was any report where the UAV was reported to be out of control. This says to me, all the incidents I can find documented relate to controlled flight of a UAV, but not in accordance with rules or regulations. Simply put, almost all the incidents were from idiots flying their UAV in a reckless manner, and none of whom were commercial operators. I certainly don't want the press to publish this because it would embolden these idiots to say; "See we aren't dangerous, it is just other people don't like us doing what we are doing." I would like a bit of a break as a commercial operator from the bureaucratic idiots and regulations where I apply for a flight permit in a major city, and the idiot whom approved my permit says in all seriousness that the permit allows the flight, but I can't take off or land in a built up area, a requirement of the permit. There are thousands of real estate agents doing the same thing, with no permits, no insurance and no understanding of any aviation regulations.

Yes it would be nice to see an ISO for UAV commercial operation, and for any and all UAV operation in general. However with lying dictators in countries like the USA who would make it all about them, and nothing to do with safety, I don't see this really working. It would be like wishing for world peace; Everyone has an idea or plan, none of them will ever succeed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143