Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Going In House

R.Perry

Reaction score
A very large construction company that I have dealt with asked me to work with two of the civil engineers for a couple of days to get them familar with doing mappings, and panos. Both of the engineers have passed their 107 test. That seems to be the way many companies are going these days and I really can't blame them.
I'm beginning to think that the future is going to be drones incorperated with other skills. I understand PGE is now having their people do inspections with drones.
I'll bet cell tower inspections are going to go that way as well.
Two of the large corperate farms in my area now have their own people doing crop health reports.

I'm courious as to what others are experiencing?

Reactions: MikeA
That is what I have seen, most drone pilots get into it while employed by some company that needs it. General photos/videos is one thing, anyone could get into that without engineering background. The mapping side is different though, as the civil world wants "TIN" surfaces, not point clouds for typical design programs. Getting to that product while maintaining surface detail is a challenge. Then dealing with surface splicing and so on to keep thing lightweight is something I've seen most placed fail at. So getting the mapping drone data using in house people is super common, knowing what to do with the data varies a lot. Those without cad engineering design backgrounds will not even know they have not delivered what engineers use in their software. Its fun stuff, just find a good civil friend and pick their brain.

Reactions: MikeA
This has been the trend every since P107 came out lowering the bar. It's usually cheaper to train an existing in-house person to add UAS to their tool kit rather than hire a UAS company. That goes for Utility/Cellular, Construction, and Emergency Services across the board.

In my case, working for an environmental firm, I was initially hired as a drafter/cartographer. Over the years, design work, architectural plans, marketing graphics, court litigation graphics, presentations, etc. were added to my responsibilities. Then in 2014, the company owner came to me and said "I think we should buy a drone, and you can be the operator." My response was "HELL YEAH!!!" Since then, we've been using it for filming/photographing project field work for documentation and presentations -- both for our clients and public meetings. I also do occasional aerial mapping and have flown at several projects sites across the country (but mostly in the northeast). We have 11 office locations and it is just little ol' me who flies our drone when needed. We've had no need to hire an outside service.

Reactions: MikeA and BigAl07
In my case, working for an environmental firm, I was initially hired as a drafter/cartographer. Over the years, design work, architectural plans, marketing graphics, court litigation graphics, presentations, etc. were added to my responsibilities. Then in 2014, the company owner came to me and said "I think we should buy a drone, and you can be the operator." My response was "HELL YEAH!!!" Since then, we've been using it for filming/photographing project field work for documentation and presentations -- both for our clients and public meetings. I also do occasional aerial mapping and have flown at several projects sites across the country (but mostly in the northeast). We have 11 office locations and it is just little ol' me who flies our drone when needed. We've had no need to hire an outside service.
No kidding! Its like getting paid to fly RC planes. Then we get to come back and manipulate 3d models....whooo hooo! The good stuff kids go for.

Reactions: Gagey52
No kidding! Its like getting paid to fly RC planes. Then we get to come back and manipulate 3d models....whooo hooo! The good stuff kids go for.
Yep I get to do that too. But 90% of my time is still doing graphics for my company. The drone is basically an in-house side gig for me.

Actual_001.PNGsnapshot_model00.pngCapture.PNG

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM