Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hangar/Lab Recommendations

dronie326

Reaction score
I'm curious to get everyone's feedback on the following topic. I have an opportunity to design a new "Hangar" at our company office. This will be a room that is dedicated to drones. Storage, battery charging, maintenance, etc. as well as a workstation and large monitor for processing and displaying data/picture/videos. I want it to have a very clean look almost like a surgery operating room or lab.

So I'm interested to know what everyone's setup looks like. Are there any items or storage solutions that you wish you had? Particular layouts that you think work best? Lessons learned from your own experiences? Perhaps some tech or gear that has made your like easier that I'm not aware of. Also if you have any pictures and care to share that would be great!

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: DallasDroneGuy
From my tiny sliver of experience: It is nice to have lots of room so projects don't need to be stacked on top of each other. I prefer work tables that are standing height because I'm often moving around to fetch a tool or a part as I'm working on things. It is nice to keep the clean stuff like electronics separate from the messy stuff (drilling, sanding, gluing, composites, etc.) Lots of power outlets along the walls ... you can never have too many power outlets. We have a gps repeater installed in our lab so we can get see gps satellites inside our steel frame building. One wall of our lab is shelves of pull out plastic storage bins for all our common stuff. This is also where we store all our aircraft which is less ideal, but space at a university is always at a premium so we try to make due. We were lucky enough to get office cubicles separate from (but adjacent to) our lab and that's really nice when you need to settle in to work on coding or writing or data. And then just culturally ... stay ahead of the mess. That's something I'm mostly able to do at work, but constantly fall further behind at home. (And since March I've been working from home so I hauled half the lab home to my basement and now I exist buried in crap until we can get back on campus full time.)

Avoid filling the space with metal, so don’t go for the “surgery operating room look” if that includes metal tables.

Reactions: Justcoz70
This was included in the weekly email to me from Commercial Drone Pilots as one of, "this week's most popular topics." Yet there are only two replies... so this is based on thumbs up numbers? or something else? If anyone has some insight, I'm just curious.

I think the term "Last week's most popular topics" is a proxy for "The most recent topics from last week".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljupco75