Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hello from Northeast Georgia

Rich_H

Reaction score
Hello, all. I'm a long-time aviation enthusiast, having been a member of EAA for 16 years, and a member of the board of directors of one of the most active chapters for the past four years. One of these days I'll manage to get my Sport Pilot license, but for now I'm studying for my 107.

I don't have a real drone yet, but I have a Syma X5C that I'm using to work on my stick skills while I study for the 107. I've absorbed a lot of info hanging around airports and pilots for the past bunch of years, so I have no doubt that I could pass it right now (scored 87% on a practice test before I started studying), but I'm not that kind of guy. I want to go into it prepared. The online course I'm using for study is done by a CFI/CFII and 107 holder, so I am sure it is a good one. I'll be done soon, and will drive a mile down the road to the airport to take the test.

I haven't quite narrowed down what niche I want to squeeze into. I'm leaning toward either real estate work, or mapping / 3D modeling. I kind of like the modeling idea, as I've worked in the 3D world before, tinkering at home with a 3D printer that I built from a kit. The down side is that it sounds like drones capable of this work are going to be more expensive, and money is definitely an issue (I want to do this to make some side money to pay for flying real airplanes). Also, being a person who understands the rules, and how to abide by them, I don't really like the idea of being hobbled by a drone company that feels the need to lock me out of certain areas if I have authorization to be there. I've looked quite a bit at the Yuneec Typhoon H+, and that's really the most expensive that I would like to be able to go, but I'm torn by the fact that it can't be set up on a route in advance, like some others (good for mapping). I do like the camera, though, as well as the hex form factor.

Are there other drones I should be checking out? I realize that the P4P is popular, but I want to do a good comparison of what's available before sinking my money into anything, let alone a drone that might leave me high and dry when needed.

I look forward to learning a lot here. Thanks for having me!

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm a fan of the Yuneec H520 but that might be overkill starting out.

Hello, all. I'm a long-time aviation enthusiast, having been a member of EAA for 16 years, and a member of the board of directors of one of the most active chapters for the past four years. One of these days I'll manage to get my Sport Pilot license, but for now I'm studying for my 107.

I don't have a real drone yet, but I have a Syma X5C that I'm using to work on my stick skills while I study for the 107. I've absorbed a lot of info hanging around airports and pilots for the past bunch of years, so I have no doubt that I could pass it right now (scored 87% on a practice test before I started studying), but I'm not that kind of guy. I want to go into it prepared. The online course I'm using for study is done by a CFI/CFII and 107 holder, so I am sure it is a good one. I'll be done soon, and will drive a mile down the road to the airport to take the test.

I haven't quite narrowed down what niche I want to squeeze into. I'm leaning toward either real estate work, or mapping / 3D modeling. I kind of like the modeling idea, as I've worked in the 3D world before, tinkering at home with a 3D printer that I built from a kit. The down side is that it sounds like drones capable of this work are going to be more expensive, and money is definitely an issue (I want to do this to make some side money to pay for flying real airplanes). Also, being a person who understands the rules, and how to abide by them, I don't really like the idea of being hobbled by a drone company that feels the need to lock me out of certain areas if I have authorization to be there. I've looked quite a bit at the Yuneec Typhoon H+, and that's really the most expensive that I would like to be able to go, but I'm torn by the fact that it can't be set up on a route in advance, like some others (good for mapping). I do like the camera, though, as well as the hex form factor.

Are there other drones I should be checking out? I realize that the P4P is popular, but I want to do a good comparison of what's available before sinking my money into anything, let alone a drone that might leave me high and dry when needed.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ??

Welcome fellow flyer !
You have chosen a great landing pad for all of your aerial needs .
These guys stay on top of things and offer great , trustworthy advice .
We dust pooters love sharing what we know . ?

Rich,
typically, there is better pay for the "scientific" type services for mapping/modeling/surveying than traditional photography.
FYSA, the DJI P4Pro has been discontinued...the RTK ver. is selling well.
The challenge with Phantom line of drone is the fixed sensor and focal length...sensor with the ability to change lenses provides much greater flexibility and options; however, they are also more expensive...
Also, regarding getting locked out of places to fly, you have the ability to use unlock codes to fly...its pretty easy, we fly on and around airports with DJI products.
Frequently we have open boxes or slightly used equipment for those looking to save some money... regardless, it is better to understand your desired goal/mission prior to purchase.... if I wanted to purchase a car it is not very descriptive for my mission; will i be racing (i.e. sports car), hauling kids around (i.e. mini-van), off roading (i.e.truck) etc.

If you want/need additional information PM me and we can discuss your options.

Stephen M.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV