Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!
Sign up

Hello from the North Olympic Peninsula, Washington State

Christopher Enges

Active Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
36
Reaction score
28
Age
69
Location
Carlsborg, Washington
Website
spiritvisionfilms.com
Just wanted to say hi from the North Olympic Peninsula! I live in a little town called Carlsborg.
I started my business, Spirit Vision Films in 2015. I not only do aerial videography and photography with my Phantom 4 Pro and Phantom 3 Pro, but do ground-based documentary style work as well.

I took my CATS test for the FAA UAs pilots license on the morning it was offered and was probably one of the first to have the license in Washington state. I also worked under the Section 333 exemption since 2015. It went bye, bye in Oct. of 2017 and saw no need to continue with it.

I work with a local public access television station in Port Angeles, Washington called PAPA TV (Peninsula Area Public Access TV). We created a series called On the Road which highlights spots all over the beautiful Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Park. I use my UAVs when I can to add more dimension to the series. Unfortunately, the national park system has banned or made flying UAVs in national parks extremely hard to do.

I also work a lot with local governments, such as the city of Sequim, Clallam County, city of Port Angeles, Peninsula College, and local Native American tribes such as the Jamestown S'Klallam and Quileute tribes of the peninsula. I've created PSAs and short documentary films for them.

I am currently working on the deconstruction and re-construction of the McDonald Creek bridge project. It is an eight month project that I am documenting with my UAV and some ground-based photography. I'll create a short 5-7 video showing the progress of the bridge after the project is done in March.

At this point, I do not lack work and have worked right through the last two winters, which I found to be amazing.

About 40% of my work is aerial. The other 60% is ground-based.

But the aerial work helps me get that other 60% in most cases. I love this job!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: dirkclod

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
DSAR Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2018
Messages
2,671
Reaction score
2,287
Age
51
Location
Western North Carolina
Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Allen
 

dirkclod

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
1,003
Reaction score
486
Age
67
Location
Amory, MS . USA
Welcome to our newest forum .
Take a little time and look around all our subforums to find what suits you and besure to read our Guidelines and ask if you have any questions in a message to any of the staff .
Enjoy all the knowledge members have to offer .
0rojyyg-png.60

Also be sure and visit this thread CDP Giveaway - Phantom 4 Pro... :)
 

AH-1G

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2018
Messages
793
Reaction score
391
Location
Florida
Website
digitalphotographypainting.weebly.com
Just wanted to say hi from the North Olympic Peninsula! I live in a little town called Carlsborg.
I started my business, Spirit Vision Films in 2015. I not only do aerial videography and photography with my Phantom 4 Pro and Phantom 3 Pro, but do ground-based documentary style work as well.

I took my CATS test for the FAA UAs pilots license on the morning it was offered and was probably one of the first to have the license in Washington state. I also worked under the Section 333 exemption since 2015. It went bye, bye in Oct. of 2017 and saw no need to continue with it.

I work with a local public access television station in Port Angeles, Washington called PAPA TV (Peninsula Area Public Access TV). We created a series called On the Road which highlights spots all over the beautiful Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Park. I use my UAVs when I can to add more dimension to the series. Unfortunately, the national park system has banned or made flying UAVs in national parks extremely hard to do.

I also work a lot with local governments, such as the city of Sequim, Clallam County, city of Port Angeles, Peninsula College, and local Native American tribes such as the Jamestown S'Klallam and Quileute tribes of the peninsula. I've created PSAs and short documentary films for them.

I am currently working on the deconstruction and re-construction of the McDonald Creek bridge project. It is an eight month project that I am documenting with my UAV and some ground-based photography. I'll create a short 5-7 video showing the progress of the bridge after the project is done in March.

At this point, I do not lack work and have worked right through the last two winters, which I found to be amazing.

About 40% of my work is aerial. The other 60% is ground-based.

But the aerial work helps me get that other 60% in most cases. I love this job!

Chris, that's really cool what you are achieving. You must have a lot of great stories to share? :)
 

Christopher Enges

Active Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
36
Reaction score
28
Age
69
Location
Carlsborg, Washington
Website
spiritvisionfilms.com
Oh yeah! Lot's of good stories! Like losing my first Phantom 3 in Sequim Bay haha! You don't setup your starting waypoint over water ... at least I think that's why when I activated the waypoint route it descended into the water! Never really found out why it did it? Now, I usually manually fly it over water and I fly over water a lot here on the peninsula.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AH-1G

AH-1G

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2018
Messages
793
Reaction score
391
Location
Florida
Website
digitalphotographypainting.weebly.com
Oh yeah! Lot's of good stories! Like losing my first Phantom 3 in Sequim Bay haha! You don't setup your starting waypoint over water ... at least I think that's why when I activated the waypoint route it descended into the water! Never really found out why it did it? Now, I usually manually fly it over water and I fly over water a lot here on the peninsula.
Too funny, ouch. It's not the best way to start your drone deployment;)
 

Christopher Enges

Active Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
36
Reaction score
28
Age
69
Location
Carlsborg, Washington
Website
spiritvisionfilms.com
Yeah ..... sometimes you have to learn the hard way. I was terrified to fly over water for several months with my new phantom 3 pro, but I eventually got to the point where if I lost it again, I told myself, I would just buy another. Now, I will fly a mile or more into the Strait of Juan de Fuca, up rivers, across lakes with total confidence. My new phantom 4 pro I use for this purpose is truly an amazing tool! The phantom 3 is now a backup.
 

AH-1G

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2018
Messages
793
Reaction score
391
Location
Florida
Website
digitalphotographypainting.weebly.com
Yeah ..... sometimes you have to learn the hard way. I was terrified to fly over water for several months with my new phantom 3 pro, but I eventually got to the point where if I lost it again, I told myself, I would just buy another. Now, I will fly a mile or more into the Strait of Juan de Fuca, up rivers, across lakes with total confidence. My new phantom 4 pro I use for this purpose is truly an amazing tool! The phantom 3 is now a backup.
Why back when, 1969 my dad retired from the Army we spent the summer up in Bellingham, all I remember the water was COLD!, the smell of the pulp mill,:eek: and seeing a gigantic jet plane! Now I realize it was the 747, impressive! :cool:
 

Christopher Enges

Active Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
36
Reaction score
28
Age
69
Location
Carlsborg, Washington
Website
spiritvisionfilms.com
Yeah ... the water is most assuredly cold! Beautiful place to live if you can endure the gray. I remember a couple years back when we had 90 straight days of cloudy weather and didn't see the sun for that long. And I love the sun!
Flying from about November to April is always a challenge. We are waiting for an opening in the weather to fly a bridge project that is getting ready to pour the concrete deck. They have put it off now twice. Hopefully next week!
 

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
539
Reaction score
112
Location
Live! From New York!
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!
 

Christopher Enges

Active Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
36
Reaction score
28
Age
69
Location
Carlsborg, Washington
Website
spiritvisionfilms.com
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!
Thank you TJ! I have already been surfing around the forums and have found some really great advice. I also have put my two cents into a couple of conversations. Looking forward to many more! Thanks again.
 

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
3,723
Messages
34,492
Members
5,220
Latest member
dnareiss