Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hello from the Pacific NW

James W Ewing

Reaction score
Hi All,

James here from Bainbridge Island, Washington. I'm currently building a video blog that will use a drone video as an aerial component of my episodes' narrative. Once I have that down I'm hoping to offer the aerial view as a service to other vloggers looking at things from a different perspective. Any and all help, suggestions, or conversation from other aerial storytellers would be more than welcome. Also looking forward to see what others are doing with their flying cameras to generate lunch money.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge, for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

Hi James, welcome to the forum. I live up in Sequim and travel through Bainbridge Island from time to time. Just wanted to give you a head's up that there is a bill at the state house, HB1049 which has been hanging around in committee for awhile. Please have a read (it's not long) and if you think it's a bad idea please let your state reps know your feelings.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1049.pdf

Best of luck with the v-blog!

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the link. I see the text is for the biennium just passed so it'll probably have to go through a couple of more iterations before the next session. On one hand I can see the benefit of flying adjacent to a property of interest for a photo shoot or survey. On the other I totally get how doing so could get that adjacent property owner's knickers all torqued up. Do you know if the committee has gotten to the request for comments phases yet? Or are they still just talking amongst themselves?

Hi James,

This is the third session it is being brought up in. It had 1 public comment meeting the first time it was introduced but hasn't gone anywhere yet. But it keeps getting reintroduced.

The bill first surfaced over a year ago and I sent in comment to my local reps and to the committee vice-chair (the committee chair is the author). It is really poorly written and I pointed it out to them. The fact is that the FAA does give permission so that makes much of the bill null.
He, the author, tries to exclude "remote controlled" aircraft that cannot "fly autonomously" from the bill. Problems again because autonomous flight can be disabled and now it's just an "RC". It's clear that it is written by someone that doesn't understand and has penned a knee-jerk reaction.

The goal of the bill is understandable, to give folks reasonable relief if there if someone that is being a nuisance. The problem is there are already ordinances against nuisance behavior with or without an rc drone.

You can subscribe to a bill and you will get an automated email if it moves. I would suggest giving it your honest assessment and sending off a copy to your local state reps and a copy to the vice-chair of the committee.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi All,

James here from Bainbridge Island, Washington. I'm currently building a video blog that will use a drone video as an aerial component of my episodes' narrative. Once I have that down I'm hoping to offer the aerial view as a service to other vloggers looking at things from a different perspective. Any and all help, suggestions, or conversation from other aerial storytellers would be more than welcome. Also looking forward to see what others are doing with their flying cameras to generate lunch money.

Welcome to the new forum, we think this one will gain some speed quickly.

Hello and welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

Allen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiweets Tool