Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

How to get business

R.Perry

Reaction score
Someone asked me how I manage to find jobs. It isn’t from job brokers that is for sure. I’ve heard it said, sometimes it isn’t what you know, it is who you know. I have received a few jobs from previous clients, but most come from knocking on doors, getting to know people and businesses. Most of all developing a reputation for honesty and quality of work. I have spent many unpaid hours soliciting business, but that cost needs to be factored into your entire business plan, or basically what you charge for your services. The idea of business is to make money, not have a hobby to get out of the house.

There are probably more experienced drone operators, and definitely more knowledgeable photographers than myself, but you need to be competent enough to do a decent job. If you make a mistake, own it and be honest about it. We are human, humans make mistakes.

One thing don’t make a potential client believe your just attempting to sell your service, but that you can provide a useful service for the client. Communication is critical, show them how you can make their life easier and more productive. Why would you buy or pay for something you don’t need, your potential client won't either.

If you don’t look professional, you won’t be perceived as professional. If you show up at a construction job site, have your PPE gear on. One lad showed up with tennis shoes on, big red flag to anyone in construction.

Whatever your target market is know as much about it as possible and don’t be afraid to admit you don’t know something. If you're going after the AG market, you better know farming and what they are looking for, and that applies to all professions.

Now I know many of you on this forum are probably a lot more knowledgeable about marketing, and business in general and I would appreciate other useful advice for this thread so we all can learn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy