Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

how to get started?

Bob

Reaction score
OK, you pass the 107 (will be taking soon) so then what do you do? I live in Texas and will be mostly taking still pics and some video for real estate agents who are friends of mine. I am not looking to make this a full time business but I do not want to break any laws either. Do I need to have a company name? What about paying sales tax? Do I keep all drone related expenses and payments separate from my retirement income, or file all together? I am retired and I love flying my drone so this is mostly just a way to earn extra income to keep my drone flying. I am not planning to advertise, this is just for several friends in the real estate industry. We have lots of rural acreage as well as water front properties they wish to showcase and the drone give a unique view. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

You’ll need to keep records seperate. Can be filed with your regular income tax return. Yes you’ll need a sales tax certificate from Comptroller. Their website explains. Records will include; Income, Receipts, Sales tax which must be reported for you on a quarterly basis to the Comptroller. Suggest you speak with a tax preparation firm or accountant. Be sure to have insurance when you fly ‘commercially’. WELCOME.

Congrats Bob. I think a company name makes sense and definitely separate expenses, income, etc. Do you have much background in photography or video prior to drones?

OK, you pass the 107 (will be taking soon) so then what do you do? I live in Texas and will be mostly taking still pics and some video for real estate agents who are friends of mine. I am not looking to make this a full time business but I do not want to break any laws either. Do I need to have a company name? What about paying sales tax? Do I keep all drone related expenses and payments separate from my retirement income, or file all together? I am retired and I love flying my drone so this is mostly just a way to earn extra income to keep my drone flying. I am not planning to advertise, this is just for several friends in the real estate industry. We have lots of rural acreage as well as water front properties they wish to showcase and the drone give a unique view. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I have my own business and the best thing I did was hire a book keeping service, they will keep you out of trouble with the government. I do home inspections and real estate photography. I'm also doing construction photography and that is a very good paying business.
I went with a S corporation for several reasons. Talk to a good tax person and they will help you set up your books. I'm also semi retired and with a pension so it does create a bit more accounting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM