Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hydrogen fuel cells - the future of heavy-lift drones?

jdouglassmith

Reaction score
Hey all,

came across this video and wondered what this forum thinks? First time posting but long time lurker.

I think this could potentially be the answer for delivery drones and solving the issue with flight times with large payloads. 12lb payload and an hour's flight time. What do you think?

I know Bobby Watts. He is a master level RC helicopter guy and has poured his heart and soul into this business. He makes some very nice large heavy lift aircraft. This is the next step in their evolution. We are going to have to figure a way past the relatively short flight times batteries offer us.

I stopped watching the video after 6 minutes of going nowhere. Having been associated with drone fuel cell development I got pretty tired of watching a guy talk that wasn’t telling us anything.

Fuel cells are pretty neat but they are not yet cost effective. Achieving 1 hour flight times from a multirotor is nothing new, we can obtain more for less using a combustion/electric hybrid system and carry similar weight. In essence, a hydrogen fuel cell is another form of a combustion/electric hybrid, but carries a higher risk factor and currently more expense.

I hope the guy achieves his goals but he needs to unload all the personal grand stand stuff if he wants people to sit though a video.

There are several high potential stored electricity "battery" technologies on the horizon, hydrogen fuel cell, is but one.
The market decides winners and losers, follow the industry and you will realize the "best" product doesn't always win.

Here's another hydrogen fuel cell drone video made by BFD Systems - a little less talking and more flying...

BFD and Ballard are looking for commercial operators that are flying every day to field test the system in different applications, weather conditions, and altitudes. The excel models show that if you're flying every day, the fuel cell system actually saves money - but the companies want to prove the models right or wrong. Reach out to BFD if you're interested in exploring...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905