Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hyperspectral sensor experience appreciated...

Acuity9

Reaction score
I'm looking for anyone who would share experience flying a hyperspectral sensor. Specifically, what sensor, what UAS platform, what post-processing software. I've had conversations with both Dow Corning and Preci$ion Hawk- the latter of which was extremely humorous. I had hoped to put together an M200 platform with the Shark 410, but am headed off at the pass by what Preci$ion Hawk thinks they will sell that for, purportedly, the only distributor of the Dow Corning Shark 410.

Any information specific to hyperspectral sensors will be greatly appreciated- feel free to message me.

Thank you...

Reactions: dempseycreekkid
I'm looking for anyone who would share experience flying a hyperspectral sensor. Specifically, what sensor, what UAS platform, what post-processing software. I've had conversations with both Dow Corning and Preci$ion Hawk- the latter of which was extremely humorous. I had hoped to put together an M200 platform with the Shark 410, but am headed off at the pass by what Preci$ion Hawk thinks they will sell that for, purportedly, the only distributor of the Dow Corning Shark 410.

Any information specific to hyperspectral sensors will be greatly appreciated- feel free to message me.

Thank you...

All good questions Acuity9. I like the DJI 210 for commercial work. It will handle multiple cameras including one on the top for bridge and overhead views. I also like the waterproof capability. However, it is a bit pricy. As far as multispectrial, I am using Sentera on our Phantom 4 Pros. They have adaptors for other DJI platforms (Inspire, etc). There's also Sequoia and Slantrange. Both I think are very good. It all depends on your budget. I do not like modified cameras for NIR, NDVI etc. Also, for thermal, I think FLIR is the one to look at right now. Again, its all about price. But from what I have researched and used, my ticket right now is Sentera and FLIR. Just me .002 worth.

All good questions Acuity9. I like the DJI 210 for commercial work. It will handle multiple cameras including one on the top for bridge and overhead views. I also like the waterproof capability. However, it is a bit pricy. As far as multispectrial, I am using Sentera on our Phantom 4 Pros. They have adaptors for other DJI platforms (Inspire, etc). There's also Sequoia and Slantrange. Both I think are very good. It all depends on your budget. I do not like modified cameras for NIR, NDVI etc. Also, for thermal, I think FLIR is the one to look at right now. Again, its all about price. But from what I have researched and used, my ticket right now is Sentera and FLIR. Just me .002 worth.

Good stuff Mike. I second most everything you have said. I am curious about your experience with converted NDVI cameras. We have sent out some for conversion and have done OK with them. What are your thoughts on this?

Just a couple of things regarding modification to existing cameras. First, this mod is typically not reversible (depending on who did it). Second, it affects the ability of the camera to read RGB. The camera was not designed to sense NIR it does not have the circuitry for it. Anytime you mess with the sensor (1 inch) in the case of the Phantom 4 Pro, you're looking for trouble. Case in point, would you modify your DLSR's sensor? I shudder when I clean mine, let alone modify it. Just my thoughts, if it works for you great, I will go for the dedicated camera like Sentera, that way I can take both RGB and NIR at the same time.

Before this thread degrades into an NDVI conversation, NDVI is NOT what I'm talking about here, nor hacked RGB cameras, and those topics are probably addressed ad nauseum elsewhere. I am NOT asking for multispectral experience, I an asking for information from people with experience with hyperspectral sensors.

People selling "NDVI" services with hacked camera are fooling themselves, this industry, and ripping off customers with inactionable data. Either you have a bonafide, calibrated sensor, or you do NOT. This is the second-most problem with this industry, right behind unlicensed and/or careless operators.

And again, multispectral is not what this thread is about.

Last edited:
Ummmm... Let me clarify the question...

Is anyone currently flying a hyperspectral sensor?

NOT A MULTISPECTRAL SENSOR FOR NDVI.

Ummmm... Let me clarify the question...

Is anyone currently flying a hyperspectral sensor?

NOT A MULTISPECTRAL SENSOR FOR NDVI.

Can I ask you focused on what you want to fly a hyperspectral sensor?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker