Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

I don't think so ...you?

Avocet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com
A Dronebase mission (this one came via email directly as it is somewhat local). It is in what could be a pretty sketchy part of town, an Insurance shoot, and they are paying $70.
The expected product list, very extensive, is below. As I can pick and choose what gigs to take and I do NOT condone vendors directly setting my rates (I realize the concept of market value, so relax), I'm gonna pass on this one.

SHOT LIST:
3D Model Images
RRI Roof Close Up

Roof Images: Context Overview of Roof Sides from the air (1-2 images per side)
Please capture entire facets in 100 percent of your frame. If you do not know what this means, please refer to the examples in the training. Reach out to [email protected]
Roof Image: Miscellaneous (Chimney and caps, gutters, etc)
Please make sure to get detailed images of the Chimney if there is one. We need to make sure that we are documenting the gutters well. The caps and appurtenances can be documented with 1 photo or so a piece.
Images - Address Of Property

Images - Front of Property in Frame

Wall Images (20-28 Images)

Backyard / Side Yard images (5-10 Images)

You accepting this gig?

The sad part is that someone will accept it and perpetuate the race to the bottom.

I had one offered a while back and declined it. They contacted me again later that day and doubled the price. I was already in the area (about 5 minutes from my front door) so I took it. No editing/processing just shoot, click, and upload. Took about 10 minutes and paid $180.

Reactions: Avocet and dirkclod
Put a zero behind that 70 and I'll do it. First of all 1 or 2 images per side of roof is not enough. Should be minimum of six pictures of chimney. You do not need Facets in 100 percent of frame if you have a 20 mp camera and good lens. On a typical home inspection we shoot between 80 and 150 photos, and standard price for a 2000 sq ft home is $400.00 and $75.00 for every 500 sq ft. beyond that. Average time on site is 1.5 to 2 hours. These are point and shoot pictures, nothing fancy.

Now many lenders want inspectors to go out and inspect foreclosed homes but they don't want to pay anything like in the above example, I had one call me and offer me 20.00 per house and he had 21 homes he needed pictures of, they were scattered out over a 150 mile area, I was polite when I said no, but it was hard.

All these sort of stories I have heard so many times as a pro photographer. Makes you want to weep the way that we as pilots are valued. Yes someone will surely take it and add to the downward drop, until one day it is recognised that these pilots who take this work cannot do a proper job.

It's like this in many service based businesses. These referral services such as drone base don't help matters. They are like the "angies list" or "home advisor" of the drone world. They exploit young businesses that don't have the marketing power or market presence, and give them peanuts in return. To add insult to injury these large entities don't really have much skin in the game. Its not their vehicle, their fuel, their time, or even their equipment in most cases. It likely also doesn't help that flying a drone is viewed as fun and cool so it's fairly easy to lure some rookie into chasing the low hanging fruit in the hopes they can get their foot in the door to something larger.

At the end of the day, if one can hold out, the way to a winning margin will be a qualitative standard. So, I just put most of my effort in flying, shooting, editing and creating a product that aims to be better than the next guy's. Sadly, John Q. Ihaveabudget cannot differentiate between a polaroid insta-matic shot and a 4 minute 4K video that I labored over for more than a couple of hours in FCPX.

Eventually, the cream will rise to the top, or so I have conveniently convinced myself.

Reactions: embayweather
At the end of the day, if one can hold out, the way to a winning margin will be a qualitative standard. So, I just put most of my effort in flying, shooting, editing and creating a product that aims to be better than the next guy's. Sadly, John Q. Ihaveabudget cannot differentiate between a polaroid insta-matic shot and a 4 minute 4K video that I labored over for more than a couple of hours in FCPX.

Eventually, the cream will rise to the top, or so I have conveniently convinced myself.

You make a very good point when you say that the average can't tell the difference between quality photography/video.

My client asked for a two to three minute video that was less the 1 gig, When I delivered he asked me why the resolution wasn't as good as the photos, photos shot at 20 mgp, video 1080 p 60fpm.

Reality is if the client can see what he wants, and it looks decent to him or her then the quality isn't a factor, it is our desire for the perfect photos or videos that we strive for that becomes a hindrance to ourselves.

Some of the photos I take (construction documentation) I must shoot at a scheduled time, the lighting is all wrong, but the client doesn't care, so he gets what he wants because he is paying the bill.

Reactions: Avocet and BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy