Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Ideas on drone use in construction Company

Roy

Reaction score
I am new to construction business and would like to learn some ideas on what and where can we utilize our drone (Phantom 4 & 2 sets of Inspire 2) on different phases of Construction.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Advexure
Hello and welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

Allen

2 inspire 2s! Woah money money money moooooney!

I use mine for a manner of progress reports on the site. The options in how to relay progress in a job site are quite vast. Photos, video, 3d renders

A little for quantity survey work and inspecting things out of reach.

Welcome to the forum, @Roy. Some construction uses where we have clients using Phantoms, Inspires and Matrice units on construction projects for use applications as listed and not limited to the below:
  • Building topographic maps
  • Orthomosaics
  • 3D virtual models
  • Progress reporting (document trails in the case of problems/insurance), also used for sales/marketing of site to clients and investors
  • Calculating volumetrics of stockpiles
  • Thermal inspections for heat loss in siding and roofing
Safe flying and we hope you can fully leverage the capabilities of your UAV fleet!

2 inspire 2s! Woah money money money moooooney!

I use mine for a manner of progress reports on the site. The options in how to relay progress in a job site are quite vast. Photos, video, 3d renders

A little for quantity survey work and inspecting things out of reach.

Haha, but its just on our company, not mine. :D but enjoying on using it and also for redundancy purposes so that we won't have any downtime when something happens unexpectedly on one of the unit.

Last edited:
We use our drones to relay pictures of the construction site back to the owners of the property, who're in a different state and can only make it out once a month. We also run a mapping program to show week to week progress of the jobs and can show the various stockpiles of materials used.

These services are actually quite in demand, so they're a good way to market yourself to clients

Hope this helps!

I would recommend using litchi and setting up a couple of missions mapping out the construction site. I am doing a elderly housing project and convenience store right now and what I do is run the mission whenever there is a noticeable change. In this manner each flight path is exactly the same and in post you can merge the clips into a flying time lapse and include stills and ground video.

Reactions: rand49er
Welcome to the forum, @Roy. Some construction uses where we have clients using Phantoms, Inspires and Matrice units on construction projects for use applications as listed and not limited to the below:
  • Building topographic maps
  • Orthomosaics
  • 3D virtual models
  • Progress reporting (document trails in the case of problems/insurance), also used for sales/marketing of site to clients and investors
  • Calculating volumetrics of stockpiles
  • Thermal inspections for heat loss in siding and roofing
Safe flying and we hope you can fully leverage the capabilities of your UAV fleet!
How are you calculating stock piles?

I to am doing time line video for several constructions sites which now include a well known fast food restaurant. I use POI same height and distance. But only go out as Norm mentioned "noticeable change".

@AH-1G personally I think you and @Norm Kokes might be leaving some $$ on the table. When we "discuss" with the group hiring us we set up a time frame for taking pictures. We sit down and come up with a set time frame and fly those times regardless of progress. Some projects are weekly, some every other week and some monthly. Regardless of what they've done they need to see that the job site is clean, SAFE, and the project is moving along as anticipated.

We use Litchi and have for a long time now. This way after the first flight they are all identical in terms of height, angle, direction, and position. I spend a LOT of time on-scene the first time with blueprints etc to make sure my flight is safe and efficient and will be able to be done throughout the project. Once in a while I may "tweak" it mid project or have to increase altitude as the construction gets higher but the majority of the flights are identical start to finish.

I just got a contract in the mail yesterday with a national grocery store that is being built about 2 min from my office.

UCMerced1.JPG On my project we use drone photography on all exterior work. To me the biggest thing is communication with the construction people and delivering what they want to see. I learned very quickly what I thought they wanted and what they actually wanted was two different things. I do mapping, panos, and progressions on this job site. Mapping once a month and the others twice a week.

Reactions: BigAl07
View attachment 161 We use Drone Deploy and have had good success with it. See attached photo of Gravel Stock pile. We can share this file in multiple formats including 3D. The key is collaboration for our clients. You can see a 3D version of this at our web site; mountainskyaerial.com under construction.
You work for United? I'm in the Plastics division for "The other guys"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM