Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Image Software - What are you using?

WJK

Reaction score
Is everyone using Adobe Photoshop or Lightbox? I have an older copy of Photoshop that does not seem to open the Mavik Pro Files.
Can anyone comment on FileViewerLight? I don't expect to be doing a lot of post production.

Most of the jobs seem to require DNG formatted files. Are you using filters when you are shooting raw format?
Thanks.

I use Lightroom (the last non-subscription version). GIMP is a very powerful editor basically comparable to Photoshop, but open source.

DNG is the raw format of DJI image files. I'm not sure what you mean by "filters"? If you mean ND filters, they are not usually used for still photography other than to blend moving objects like water or time-lapse twilight shots. For aerials, the more light/ faster shutter, the better for stills with the exceptions I mentioned.

Last edited:
I use ACDSee Photo Studio Professional. Smokes the others in batch editing, which I use for drone work, but if you don't mind subscription licensing then Lightroom is good as well. ACDSee is very inexpensive. Perpetual licensing is $80 right now. If you don't mind a subscription and do other kinds high-end graphics I would recommend Photoshop.

Thank you for the responses so far. As to the filters, yes I am talking about the filter attached to the cameras. Some of the youtube videos strongly suggest using these camera filters. In the case of the images that I recently shot, the detail was very dark on the JPG & DNG image. I was able to do wonders manipulating the image with software.

Gimp (latest version) does not open the DNG file format from DJI. They suggest using another program named "Raw Therapee. I am trying that free software at the moment. There was one other suggestion by Gimp for raw formatted pictures Downloading RawTherapee will install a plugin that will allow Gimp to open the files. So far, I don't like that plugin method. It does work.

I have enough answers to keep me going for the moment. Gotta get out and shoot more images and video! :)

Thank you, everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: adm_geomatics
Lightroom & Photoshop but not sold on the subscription versus older version of license copies. Still have older Lightroom 6 & Mst Suite CS6... But becoming harder to utilize on newer OS versions. Lightroom 6 & PS CS6 continue to work, but other CS6 apps are dropping out.

Looking more toward OnOne and Skylum Luminar... both great products not tied to subscriptions.

Aerial images can be massive in number of images; another tool is media management... focused totally on image & video files only.

Recently came across a great tool for images & video management, Kyno. Not focused on image editing, more media management. It‘s a popular tool, I just hadn’t known about it. In collecting large mass of aerial images & videos while learning photogrammetry & 3D modeling; keeping track or locating a set or project series was presenting itself as a management issue more than image editing.

Reactions: adm_geomatics
Lightroom & Photoshop but not sold on the subscription versus older version of license copies. Still have older Lightroom 6 & Mst Suite CS6... But becoming harder to utilize on newer OS versions. Lightroom 6 & PS CS6 continue to work, but other CS6 apps are dropping out.

Looking more toward OnOne and Skylum Luminar... both great products not tied to subscriptions.

Aerial images can be massive in number of images; another tool is media management... focused totally on image & video files only.

Recently came across a great tool for images & video management, Kyno. Not focused on image editing, more media management. It‘s a popular tool, I just hadn’t known about it. In collecting large mass of aerial images & videos while learning photogrammetry & 3D modeling; keeping track or locating a set or project series was presenting itself as a management issue more than image editing.

ACDSee does database management as well.

Reactions: dougcjohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM