Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

In the field battery charging - Help

Nitz

Reaction score
I'm looking for input on what type of power station I will need to keep me flying in the field.
At first, I looked at an inverter for our truck, but I can't get our fleet manager to budge to install one (fear of too much load on alternator).
Next, was a gas generator but that was quickly removed because of policies regarding them.
Finally, I'm left with a portable power station.

Unfortunately, I'm not a smart man when it comes to conversions for power consumption, etc.

I will have TB55s with a CD PRCS so I will need to have a power station capable of charging for the day.

Example: how many charges would a 500W power station get me?
or this

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Volts x Amps= Watts. So 22.2 X 5.5 = 122.1 Watts, assuming “55” represents mA. Technically you could charge 4 batteries at a time, just once. Reality will likely be less.

Model:TB55
Capacity:7660 mAh
Voltage:22.8V
Battery Type:LiPo 6S
Energy:176.93Wh
Net Weight:Approx. 885g
Operating Temperature:-4° to 113°F (-20° to 45°C)
Storage Temperature:Less than 3 months: -20°C to 45°C
More than 3 months: 22°C to 28°C
Charging Temperature:41° to 104°F (5° to 40°C)
Max Charging Power:180 W

I'm looking for input on what type of power station I will need to keep me flying in the field.
At first, I looked at an inverter for our truck, but I can't get our fleet manager to budge to install one (fear of too much load on alternator).
Next, was a gas generator but that was quickly removed because of policies regarding them.
Finally, I'm left with a portable power station.

Unfortunately, I'm not a smart man when it comes to conversions for power consumption, etc.

I will have TB55s with a CD PRCS so I will need to have a power station capable of charging for the day.

Example: how many charges would a 500W power station get me?
or this

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

I use a Wen gas powered generator. It's heavy (~50#) but it runs the charger, the laptop and the fans with power to spare. It's also quiet.
WEN-56200i-2000-Watt-Generator- CARB Compliant

We had a dedicated Inverter hard wired into my "Tactical Subaru" (that's what they started calling my car from the IMT last year LOL). Honestly it's one of the best things I've ever done for this process. I can charge many items all day long and not even put a strain on my battery. We used this on a recent SAR op and it charged all day long (Mavics, Inspires, H520, iPads, Transmitters) and I started one time during the day and it never even hinted at getting a low battery. We were on-scene from 04:45 till 17:00 and probably started "utilizing" the inverter no later than 06:30.

We're not really pulling a LOT of juice at a time and it's pretty easy to install an "isolated" starter battery if you're afraid of running the main one dead from not running the engine.

Reactions: PatR and R Martin
People involved with a significant level of field work only have three ways of assuring a continuous supply of charged batteries for the day’s work;
Buy lots of batteries,
Install inverters,
Obtain and use a portable generator.

If company policies interfere with making use of any or all three of the above there is a need to change company policy or eliminate drones from the tool set.

Reactions: BigAl07
I use an inverter in my truck. I think I paid $50 for a slightly nicer inverter, but it stays plugged in 24 hrs a day and can charge 3 batteries. I have never had a problem with a "load on the alternator". Then again, Im driving a silverado with a slightly bigger alternator. Maybe get a high output alternator...

It is a Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center, which turned out to be overkill. I would just start with a regular battery box if I did it again.

I added the extra breakers and Anderson Powerpole Connectors for HAM radio and accessories, and I also use them to charge the battery with a Power Tender.

That is a nice case! Is that home made or store bought?

Reactions: SanCap
It is a Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center, which turned out to be overkill. I would just start with a regular battery box if I did it again.

I added the extra breakers and Anderson Powerpole Connectors for HAM radio and accessories, and I also use them to charge the battery with a Power Tender.
very nice. What's your field charging capability (battery type, how many?)

I usually go out with six batteries, and have four more that are backups for bigger projects like a movie or commercial where I burn through them faster than they can cool down and recharge. Those four have puffed a bit at least once before so I only use them when I have to.

The case transports the usual six, charging two at a time, and I have a third charger for the R/C or another battery as needed.

27E866DA-A76C-4948-9827-98579837C759.jpeg

very nice. What's your field charging capability (battery type, how many?)

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
My 2500HD has an oem inverter and works well.

Also, take a look at the Tailgator compressor at Harbor Freight. You won’t be sorry.

Our 2019 VW Transporter has a plug in inverter, I fly all day charging our Phantom & Mavic batteries & controllers without any issues. Nothing more than standard battery in the van..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM