Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Integrated Solutions

Aerial Data

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was wondering which programs you use to fly agricultural missions? I use drone deploy and I've generally been happy, but there are times my bird and thier app don't play nice, so a formidable backup app would be nice to have.

Hi Aereal Map
When you want to do survey missions, which is the same as in agriculture but changing the sensor, you have several possibilities. These possibilities depend on the flight controller of the drone you are using. It's not the same to use a DJI or a drone with a PX4-based controller. There are some very interesting free programs such as Pix4DCapture or other payment programs. But it all depends on the drone you use.

Reactions: Outta Control
UGCS is a great option, it is $70 and requires a laptop for planning and flying but it has features like RAW capture and terrain following which are important when mapping ag projects for NDVI calculations. Pix4dcapture works and is free but I don't think you can turn off automatic camera settings and it bases the flight height off of the take off point and fly on a level plane which means you can end up with inconsistent imagery. There is also Map Pilot and DJI GSP if you use an iPad/iphone.

Reactions: dempseycreekkid
Great discussions. The biggest problem I see is that while Drone produce a lot of data, it needs to be actionable. In other words, what good is it to the farmer if they don't get the information they need to produce more yield. They need INFORMATION coupled with actionable prescription for their particular crop. We are still evaluating a number of packages, but were getting close to a solution that will really aid the farmer in their ROI.

Drone Made Easy offers a complete data collecting system. See information below.

The MAG100 AGRONAUT is integrated with their Map Pilot Flight control program. Once the Data is collected you can then use Pix4d AG to generate the maps, etc. Pix4Dag - Pix4D

Last year I used Micasense to generate the maps. They no longer offer this service, but have now partnered with Pix4d.

AgVault by Sentera may be something to look at also. They just made a new announcement yesterday.

SENTERA ANNOUNCES LAUNCH OF AGVAULT 2.0 SOFTWARE
Sentera Announces Launch of AgVault 2.0 Software

Open Source OpenDroneMapping may offer something in the future?

MAG100 AGRONAUT AGRICULTURAL DATA SYSTEM

The MAG100 Agronaut is the best and easiest to use way to fly the Parrot Sequoia NDVI camera. Map Pilot integration allows for easy to use flight planning and unlimited pro-processing of imagery which lets you track your data.

MAG100 Agronaut Bundle
Parrot Sequoia Camera
GoProfessional Case
4 x TB48D Batteries
2 x 180W Chargers
Marco Polo Tracker
H4-3D Gimbal
N1 Video Encoder
Battery Charging Hub

Onboard Computer Platform for safe switching of WiFi, communicating with Map Pilot, and preprocessing the images.

The heart of this system is the Onboard Computer (Ninja)

What is the Ninja On-Board Computer?

IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1386.JPG

UGCS is a great option, it is $70 and requires a laptop for planning and flying but it has features like RAW capture and terrain following which are important when mapping ag projects for NDVI calculations. Pix4dcapture works and is free but I don't think you can turn off automatic camera settings and it bases the flight height off of the take off point and fly on a level plane which means you can end up with inconsistent imagery. There is also Map Pilot and DJI GSP if you use an iPad/iphone.
Jesse G,

You mention UgCS. Have you used it yet? I have done a couple of test flights with my Phantom 3 Advance, then I will switch to the Matrice 100.

I really like the 3D planning, the vehicle profiles, and emulators. Here are a couple of plans I have put together. With one click of the mouse you can modify a single grid into a double grid.

Interesting flight planner. Ground Station Software | UgCS PC Mission PlanningUgCS Ex-0005.jpg UgCS Ex-0007.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t use Drone Deploy software to fly by. I use DJI Ground Station Pro. Then upload the pics to Drone Deploy. All works well.

Jesse G,

You mention UgCS. Have you used it yet? I have done a couple of test flights with my Phantom 3 Advance, then I will switch to the Matrice 100.

I really like the 3D planning, the vehicle profiles, and emulators. Here are a couple of plans I have put together. With one click of the mouse you can modify a single grid into a double grid.

Interesting flight planner. Ground Station Software | UgCS PC Mission PlanningView attachment 116 View attachment 117
Up late running some processing and just saw this.... I have been using UGCS for about 8 months, starter on a phantom 3 pro, and since have moved to an inspire 1 pro with the x5 and a mavic. All work great with UGCS. The flight planning and terrain following option has given me incredibly consistent results compared to other options I tried like dronedepoly and pix4d capture. That was the main selling point for me along with the ability to capture RAW dng format imagery which isnt even an option in the ones I mentioned. One thing that disappointed me was that when I started with UGCS the planning software and app allowed you to trigger shots at any time interval which meant you could capture jpegs at about 1.5 seconds and dngs at about 3 seconds and after version 11 and the accompanying app version they made it limited to every 3 seconds for jpegs and 10 seconds for dngs as per DJIs and guidelines. I dont know why they would implement such a limitation when other developers like dronedeploy and pix4d ignore it. I even reached out to them and they told me that was a hardware limitation as per DJI. I found a work around for this using earlier versions but being on version 11 I lost some small functionality like double grid missions but it takes 2 seconds to copy a route and rotate it 90 degrees so not a big deal. I've had a couple other hiccups along the way but they're support team has always been helpful and reply within about a day. All in all I have been very happy with it as it does what other control platforms don't.

I don’t use Drone Deploy software to fly by. I use DJI Ground Station Pro. Then upload the pics to Drone Deploy. All works well.
I've used Ground Station Pro and while it controlled the drones perfectly and was simple and had a good camera interface it falls short. The problem with it for me is that it keeps the drone facing in the same direction through all the flight paths so the drone is flying forward on the first line and then without turning goes sideways and then heads backwards down the next line. This can lead to some odd results since rollong shutter is then opposite for each line of photos next to each other and software accounts for RS heading in a forward direction. Also makes forward obstacle avoidance useless since over half the flight is flown backwards and sideways. Besides that it also means that to do a double grid oblique imagery flight plan I actually need to do 4 seperate flights to get all four sides at the oblique angle...with UGCS or even pix4d capture you only need 2 since the drone turns at the corners and always flies forward.

I use Agvault and they are releasing a whole newly built ap in the next month. Its called field agent now and I have done some beta testing of the 3.0 version, its awesome, simple and free!

I use Agvault and they are releasing a whole newly built ap in the next month. Its called field agent now and I have done some beta testing of the 3.0 version, its awesome, simple and free!

Peter Gagliardi; That's strange, I checked out Field Agent, and it is not free. Oh, you can download the app, but in order to use it you must pay $ 5.00+ per month to use it. How do you think that it's free? Or am I missing something here.?

Yea, sorry for the delays on our end. The old app had a cost for a non Sentera customer. If you bought any hardware from us the app came free. The new app (that I promise is coming out soon, there have been some DJI bugs in the last firmware) will be out soon and is totally free.

To clear up any issues. The old app is in the app store and is called FieldAgent. There will be an update from 2.8 something to 3. something very soon that is a complete rework. The app will be free and I have been flying with it for about a month now working out bugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
The new app is live and free. Sorry for the delays guys. Check it out! Let us know what you think and how we can improve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91