Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Is a Network Based Remote ID Solution the Right One for the Drone Industry?

I can see the reasoning behind the debate but I think it is ridiculous that we as a nation have reached the point to think that they (the general public) can hold an industry to a double standard. By the same right should it be a requirement for everyone to constantly update a database to keep everyone else informed as to what they are doing at any given time of night or day? Of course that is taking the argument to an extreme but the concept is valid.

Assuming that this idea takes root, there are ways to implement it that make more sense that what was proposed in the article. Provide access to the database to law enforcement as a courtesy free of charge. If John Q Public feels that it is his or her right to know what your business (and it is my business) is then shift the cost of the system to the end-user. Directory information for phone service via the web is now a pay service. This proposed service should be the same. Let the curious fund the system. Do not expect the everyday operator to run a business, maintain and expand their fleet, insure themselves and their employee(s), maintain currency on their certification AND pay for a system that an entitled few feel that my right to privacy is trumped by their right to know.

Otherwise, get over yourselves and let us do what we do. You do what you do and mind your own business.

As an after thought, in order to obtain information about my activities you need to provide your own details that have been verified by an accepted process. I have a right to know who is asking for information about my activities. Sorry, but that is just me being me...

Remote ID, with the ability of LE to check on a drone if they wish is fine. Rather than design a system where joe public can find out what a drone is up to, why not educate the masses that sUAS are nothing more than what they are. Joe public has no way of knowing who the manned aircraft is over their head if they can't read the N#. Why do they need to know what the sUAS is doing down the street?

I'm not at all against RID. But it seems like in some ways it's trying to do some things that don't need done. RID could simply be accessible to LLE in real time, or recorded on a server for a period of time in order to be able to see who did what in the case of an incident. Otherwise the data is overwritten.

The entire population doesn't really have a need to know.

Reactions: R Martin and Grumpy
Remote ID, with the ability of LE to check on a drone if they wish is fine. Rather than design a system where joe public can find out what a drone is up to, why not educate the masses that sUAS are nothing more than what they are. Joe public has no way of knowing who the manned aircraft is over their head if they can't read the N#. Why do they need to know what the sUAS is doing down the street?

I'm not at all against RID. But it seems like in some ways it's trying to do some things that don't need done. RID could simply be accessible to LLE in real time, or recorded on a server for a period of time in order to be able to see who did what in the case of an incident. Otherwise the data is overwritten.

The entire population doesn't really have a need to know.

I honestly think it would be better for all involved if they just told the public to suck it up buttercup and developed a system that would be more useful in preventing contact with GA and allowed controllers to see where you are in relation to airport approaches and other aircraft. Let the millennials pound sand...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services