Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Is a Phantom 4 Pro Professional Enough?

In my opinion, the P4P is one of the best drones out there for the money. Its camera is just awesome. The Yuneec typhoon H Pro has a good camera as well, but the drone probably doesn't have as much range.

i use the p4p for surveying purpose using photogrammetry. I am quite happy, it is cheap, has long flying time up to 30 min and the use is goof prooved.
I use a Mikrokopter Okto XL and Sony Alpha 6000 for the same job before. Pricing 5 times higher, flight time max. half of it and the use sophisticated.

Yes, the P4P is a professional tool, make good job and the best thing money can buy for photogrammetric survey.

Martin

I present my company as a "Professional" operation and we have a hanger full of all sorts of aircraft. 1200 Octos, Inspires, P4P's (2), 3DR Solo, Pixhawk Frames, 3m fixed wing and a Mavic Pro. When I send one of our guys out to do a job, he or she has to be very convincing before I let them take ANYTHING but a P4P.
In Australia a sub 2Kg aircraft is in the low risk category and for me that means I can relax. A competent licensed pilot with a serviceable P4P is VERY unlikely to break anything or anyone and for most jobs can capture what is required.
Being professional also includes risk mitigation at every level!
Just my two cents worth.
www.morrisonaerialrobotics.net
J:)

I've been a professional (as in paid, as @Wilson Lake Drone succinctly defined it) for over 35 years. So my clients must be happy enough with my work. Certainly, with medium and larger format cameras I used before digital (including a Linhof 5x4 cut film camera) I could guarantee quality, assuming I focused correctly, and the same is true of my high-end Canon digital bodies.

Although I've flown model aircraft (and real aircraft) and model helicopters in the past, I'm relatively new to drones. I bought the P4 Advanced, when I was informed it had the same camera as the P4 Pro, and that the camera I would have preferred, on the Inspire, was way out of my budget.

My first mistake was not getting the Pro, with rear sensors, and I reversed the Advanced into a cliff and lost it in the Atlantic Ocean, off the west of Ireland. I got a deal on my 2nd model, and stuck with the Advanced, but wish I'd got the Pro, to be honest.

In terms of image quality, I'm finding it a bit hit-and-miss. I shoot RAW and tend to set the aperture quite small (usually f10 or f11) and the ISO very low (100 if I can get it) for stills. In the days of film and less well made lenses, it was a no-no to set the aperture at the maximum widest and maximum smallest, as a fall off in quality could occur. I'd be interested to know what others think of this as it applies to the P4 Advanced / Pro lens?

Sometimes I can get very sharp images and other days they are softer at the same setting. I also get "ghosting"on the highlights, and have to reduce the highlights in Lightroom. Here's one of my sharper images with good contrast. The light may have helped.

ferry.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking of adding a P4 to my line-up. I currently use the Mavic Pro and couldn’t be happy right now.

I went to the DJI website a few days ago to order it when I saw that they are having a release on the 23rd. That made me wait. I’ll see what they are adding to the line before I buy anything.

We would like to chime in with another perspective here for consideration. Our thoughts are that it really depends on what you are doing with the drone. We have a large pilot network that can be contracted for work around the country and for some of the work, the P4 Pro is the minimum accepted drone. Our pilots who want to do cell phone tower inspection can bring a P4 Pro to training and also use it in the field on the towers. Many of our pilots will use Inspire and Matrice series drones, but the P4 Pro is an acceptable platform for tower inspections. From that standpoint one might interpret it as a professional drone. It has also done a very good job as a mapping drone for a number of clients.

On the other hand, if you were only doing cinematic work it probably would not be the right choice. Just ask a professional photographer how they would feel about having to take every single photo of every subject matter they ever shoot with a single wide angle lens. No zoom and no other lens choices - ever. From that regard you would probably have to step up to a different platform to get your work done properly or professionally. The same thing is true about the video format. Is a compressed h.264 file the right output for everything? No, but it will work for many of your clients - just not all of them.

So we feel it is the right drone for some professionals (or specific professions inside the industry) and for others it would not be the right tool.

We did however appreciate the comment related to the perception of being professional by putting it in a good case with a lot of batteries...:)

I’ve been looking to get into inspections. Do you have any recommendations on how to do it?

I use a P4 and it works good for me. Not enough difference in the P4pro for me to upgrade. The lighting makes all the difference. Sun behind the drone makes for great sharp high contrast images. If you're shooting into the sun, or the sun is hitting the lens then not as sharp and lower contrast is what I've found. Stopping down past about f8 will introduce diffraction, lowering sharpness. Remember this is a small size sensor compared to a DSLR camera.

Nice shot!

I've been a professional (as in paid, as @Wilson Lake Drone succinctly defined it) for over 35 years. So my clients must be happy enough with my work. Certainly, with medium and larger format cameras I used before digital (including a Linhof 5x4 cut film camera) I could guarantee quality, assuming I focused correctly, and the same is true of my high-end Canon digital bodies.

Although I've flown model aircraft (and real aircraft) and model helicopters in the past, I'm relatively new to drones. I bought the P4 Advanced, when I was informed it had the same camera as the P4 Pro, and that the camera I would have preferred, on the Inspire, was way out of my budget.

My first mistake was not getting the Pro, with rear sensors, and I reversed the Advanced into a cliff and lost it in the Atlantic Ocean, off the west of Ireland. I got a deal on my 2nd model, and stuck with the Advanced, but wish I'd got the Pro, to be honest.

In terms of image quality, I'm finding it a bit hit-and-miss. I shoot RAW and tend to set the aperture quite small (usually f10 or f11) and the ISO very low (100 if I can get it) for stills. In the days of film and less well made lenses, it was a no-no to set the aperture at the maximum widest and maximum smallest, as a fall off in quality could occur. I'd be interested to know what others think of this as it applies to the P4 Advanced / Pro lens?

Sometimes I can get very sharp images and other days they are softer at the same setting. I also get "ghosting"on the highlights, and have to reduce the highlights in Lightroom. Here's one of my sharper images with good contrast. The light may have helped.

ferry.jpg

Sun behind the drone makes for great sharp high contrast images. If you're shooting into the sun, or the sun is hitting the lens then not as sharp and lower contrast is what I've found. Stopping down past about f8 will introduce diffraction, lowering sharpness. Remember this is a small size sensor compared to a DSLR camera. Nice shot!

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I'd be very aware of contra-joure shooting and how it lowers contrast. However, I was referring to image sharpness, as in soft focus (slightly out of focus). It may be to do with focusing on the app. I had been considering trying shooting around f8 and comparing it to f10 and f11. I just never have enough free time to practice. The shot I posted was at f10.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I'd be very aware of contra-joure shooting and how it lowers contrast. However, I was referring to image sharpness, as in soft focus (slightly out of focus). It may be to do with focusing on the app. I had been considering trying shooting around f8 and comparing it to f10 and f11. I just never have enough free time to practice. The shot I posted was at f10.
Yes, free time to test it out....never enough. Just thought of another reason for softer images. If there is any atmospheric haze that would do it. You wouldn't see it at ground level, but it could be there at higher elevations.

Yes, free time to test it out....never enough. Just thought of another reason for softer images. If there is any atmospheric haze that would do it. You wouldn't see it at ground level, but it could be there at higher elevations.

The light's good now, so I'm off to do some testing! Here is the same property shot, twice. The first without sharpening, and normal highlights - I think it shows the "ghosting" I mentioned. The second with 65% sharpening and reduced highlights. I welcome thoughts from you and other experienced P4A or P4P users as to whether I should expect higher image quality from that camera (putting the light aside). The light was quite diffused and from the RH side.

notsharpened.jpg

sharpened.jpg

The light's good now, so I'm off to do some testing! Here is the same property shot, twice. The first without sharpening, and normal highlights - I think it shows the "ghosting" I mentioned. The second with 65% sharpening and reduced highlights. I welcome thoughts from you and other experienced P4A or P4P users as to whether I should expect higher image quality from that camera (putting the light aside). The light was quite diffused and from the RH side.

notsharpened.jpg

sharpened.jpg
Same image processed differently or two separate images with different settings? I like the sharper one better. The sun could be hitting the lens of the camera. Another cause of ghosting is slow shutter speed and camera movement during the shot. May want to consider if you need to stop down past f5.6 as a wide angle lens has a lot of depth of field. I don't think you are going to get any better quality with these types of drones. I also think these a really good quality photos.

Reactions: Valentiaman
Same image processed differently or two separate images with different settings? I like the sharper one better. The sun could be hitting the lens of the camera. Another cause of ghosting is slow shutter speed and camera movement during the shot. May want to consider if you need to stop down past f5.6 as a wide angle lens has a lot of depth of field. I don't think you are going to get any better quality with these types of drones. I also think these a really good quality photos.

It's the same image, with exactly the same post processing, other than I added sharpening to the 2nd one (65%) and reduced the highlights on that one, to minus 70%. The first one has highlights at "zero" and sharpening at zero (no default sharpening in the software.)

Professional? Well yes and no. My P4Ps are workhorses. I do lots of work with both of mine and they offer very professional results but are not true professionals. We can go back and forth on this issue because a professional photographer will say in most cases that if you’re not using full frame you aren’t using a professional camera. I’ve seen some real awesome footage come from a crop sensor DSLR though. If your P4P is making your customers happy and your business growth trend line is heading in a positive direction, keep up the good work and make that money! When you’ve made enough money, then you can spring for an inspire 2 and sleep better at night.

In the end, it is up to you and your needs to decide if it is good enough for you. As a Mavic owner, the P4P would be a significant upgrade in image quality. Although the Mavic camera is pretty good, it just can't compare with the P4P.

What makes you professional primarily is what you can do with the camera and post processing. That being said, the camera and its sensors do assist in the overall quality, so let's get into that aspect.

I started with a Phantom 4, got decent enough photos and video, but realized the sensor was lacking. I upgraded to the Phantom 4 Pro for its higher dynamic range and better sensor. Photo quality improved, but still feel its sensor is lacking. Video compression can be quite bad at times as well, so I think it is adequate for most operations, but I would say that the Phantom series has not yet reached "professional quality" in terms of its sensors, but that doesn't mean you cannot get final images, or even video that look professional if you know what you are doing.

I still have my Phantom 4 Pro as it travels well around the world, but I have since upgraded to an Inspire 2 with an X5S. The quality of the camera and sensor (and not factoring in the drone itself) is quite an improvement. I have yet to buy the license to release the CineSSD capabilities, though that is planned in the next month or so, which I expect another dramatic increase in quality versus the H.264 and H.265 formats. I am already tempted to get the X7, but I think the X5S is plenty for my work, at least for now.

The bottom line is you only need the drone that meets the work you are doing. Real Estate photography, and many other jobs simply do not need a higher quality sensor than the P4P offers, if you know how to use it. I have even seen some great photos and video from my professional photographer friends using a Mavic. But, if you demand higher quality images and video, I would recommend saving up for an Inspire 2 and its associated cameras as your business builds.

I will leave you with an image from my P4 Pro which was pulled from a video clip...
Drone-Photography-1-5.jpg

Reactions: BLADE4
158F4800-CC05-468A-B8FB-0AE44AABCB70.jpeg
The P4P is as professional as most people need unless you need to get into IFR or something with a Zoom. P4P's still & video with a good post edit software can correct most any imperfections or color grading.
Absolutely

Reactions: Valentiaman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143