Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Is Phantom 3 Standard 2K Good Enough

Meltonian

Reaction score
I was reading the thread asking the same question about a Phantom 4 Pro but I have a Phantom 3 Standard 2K and I was wondering if that produces what could be quality work for some/most instances? I know for professional camera work it probably won't do but what about inspections?

I would say that the answer is "it depends". It depends on what your client expects you to deliver. In terms of photo quality, the 12MP camera is decent, but for serious work like inspections or mapping, you probably want to get something with a better camera.

Even though the Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced/4K still has a 12MP camera, the results are better. You also have to keep in mind that your competition will likely be packing drones with better cameras. If you can spare the investment, get the best camera you can.

Another problem is customer perception. A lot of clients see the Phantom series as toys, even though they're quite capable. I have had to explain more than once that my P4 Advanced has a 20MP camera on it that provides serious capabilities for mapping, and explain that it's not merely a toy. This could be something that pops up if you show up to a job with a lower end bird.

TLDR: Get the best drone you can. While the P3S has a decent camera, it may or may not get the job done. I wouldn't take it to a job, but that's just me.

I started out with the P3s just because it was cheap and if I crashed it I would not be out too much financially. I did crash a few times but improved and moved on to the P4 and Mavic. Right now I am using the Mavic for the most part. The cameras on the P4 and MP are definatly better but if I make that move to doing commercial work I would probably upgrade to the P4P. Again as stated before it depends on what your customer need or want. If I get into Real Estate I may have to bounce up to the P4P. I think a lot has to do with camera setup and post production effects.

I definitely appreciate the replies and you guys are pretty much saying what I figured. My (refurbished) P3S was about $345 and the step up to a P4P is about $700+. I don't have a company so far but looking into individual projects that are or could be available in the hour so all purchases are out of pocket.

What about other brands with 4k cameras such as the UpAir One or would you suggest sticking with DJI?

Thanks!

Again it depends. If you want to do missions, for instance plan a route to map a farm or other large parcel then you would most likely use litchi which only works with the DJI phantoms and mavic. Otherwise you will have to use the app that comes with the drone. If you haven't used litchi then download it and try it. I just setup 3 missions along the Mazatlan MX coast (from my computer in MN) I use this app rather than DJIgo4 even for freeform flights.

I love Litchi, it's what I use most of the time flying now. I love its ability to turn the DJI into a FP drone with a cheap virtual headset that works with my phone. I haven't used the mission feature yet.

I definitely appreciate the replies and you guys are pretty much saying what I figured. My (refurbished) P3S was about $345 and the step up to a P4P is about $700+. I don't have a company so far but looking into individual projects that are or could be available in the hour so all purchases are out of pocket.

What about other brands with 4k cameras such as the UpAir One or would you suggest sticking with DJI?

Thanks!

To be honest, DJI is your best bet IMHO. I have flown Yuneec in the past, and the functionality of the different software for DJI drones is simply the difference maker. I love being able to use something like DroneDeploy, Pix4D, or Map Pilot for DJI to run a mapping mission. You don't get a lot of that with other drone companies. Those companies will close the gap in the future, but for now I'd recommend sticking with DJI, especially if you're new to the industry.

Reactions: R.Perry
I was reading the thread asking the same question about a Phantom 4 Pro but I have a Phantom 3 Standard 2K and I was wondering if that produces what could be quality work for some/most instances? I know for professional camera work it probably won't do but what about inspections?

Cyberfelt brings up some great points. Your question doesn't have a linear answer. What type of clients are you going after? Are you cinematic or a mapping pilot? That question even infers a bit of resolution dependency. But really it depends on your salesmanship. All Phantom series drones do have that toy look. But don't let that discourage you. The Standard is a good bird. Also it's not 2k its 2.7k. Thats actually a big difference. Its not just about the gear but having a good demo reel and maybe even great testimonials from other clients that will set you apart and give your customers confidence in your abilities regardless of the gear. Going back to the 2.7k point, Mapping isn't purely dependent on the resolution of the camera. Mapping has a bigger recipe to produce good results. In cinematic applications, good composition, slow buttery movements, good lighting, and if your involved in it, good story telling are all part of the cinematic recipe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy