Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Large Industrial Mapping

adm_geomatics

Reaction score
Website
www.admgeomatics.com
Just wanted to share a project I have been flying this year. I am sure you all like flying around cranes right? This project consists of a map of 230 acre that has to be flown in 3 pieces to maintain VLOS. The entire limits of the current phase is 570 acres! On top of that it is 1/4-mile 10 degrees west of a small airport flight path. This is where the cranes are helpful because manned aircraft typical don't even get close to them. Other deliverables are 24 progress photos, 7 videos and 31 panoramas. All in it takes about 2.5-3 hours of flight. Definitely a top 3 for 2023!

360 Panos on Kuula

View attachment Taylor Industrial 2.JPG

Last edited:
Are you producing an Ortho for this project as well? I'd love to see the model if you are.

In terms of PANOs, how do you determine where to do one & how high to do it? I usually include ONE but maybe I need to step up my game.

Are you producing an Ortho for this project as well? I'd love to see the model if you are.

In terms of PANOs, how do you determine where to do one & how high to do it? I usually include ONE but maybe I need to step up my game.
No I'm just capturing the images on this one. I did do a quick processing just to get a map for my future flight planning but they are doing their own processing in Pix4D. I have to fly at 360ft AGL because of the tower cranes and they only wanted nadir so I can't imagine the model look all that good. It's more for logistics and progress documentation for them. It comes in at about 1200 images but if I flew it the way I like that we have been talking about it would probably be 3x that and take my little machine at least 16 hours to process, lol. Here's a low-res ortho.

Industrial Ortho

No I'm just capturing the images on this one. I did do a quick processing just to get a map for my future flight planning but they are doing their own processing in Pix4D. I have to fly at 360ft AGL because of the tower cranes and they only wanted nadir so I can't imagine the model look all that good. It's more for logistics and progress documentation for them. It comes in at about 1200 images but if I flew it the way I like that we have been talking about it would probably be 3x that and take my little machine at least 16 hours to process, lol. Here's a low-res ortho.

Industrial Ortho
WOW! That's one heck of a construction site!!

Thank you for sharing. Here's my latest model of the build I'm working on. It's nothing compared to the site you're working on. I still need to work on getting more images etc but it's definitely improving with each trip and new practices added in each time.

WOW! That's one heck of a construction site!!

Thank you for sharing. Here's my latest model of the build I'm working on. It's nothing compared to the site you're working on. I still need to work on getting more images etc but it's definitely improving with each trip and new practices added in each time.

Lookin' good. That's great detail even with all the railing and plastic sheeting. There's definitely a lot of details there that take time to capture. Did you do your crabwalk around this one? You would probably have to do facade shots for every one of those freestanding walls. I wonder if there just wasn't enough overlap on the mapping portion because of the height of the structure? I know I always had trouble with the little parapet walls on the top of the building.

Attachments

• 2023-10-04_14-19-52.jpg
    2023-10-04_14-19-52.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 13
Lookin' good. That's great detail even with all the railing and plastic sheeting. There's definitely a lot of details there that take time to capture. Did you do your crabwalk around this one? You would probably have to do facade shots for every one of those freestanding walls. I wonder if there just wasn't enough overlap on the mapping portion because of the height of the structure? I know I always had trouble with the little parapet walls on the top of the building.

Yes I did but I should have taken another one lower (to capture some details covered by the entry etc) and then some showing the walls more clearly.

This is WAY more detail than the client has asked for but it's a great opportunity to tweak my processes and hopefully improve my product offering.

Appreciate your input GREATLY!!

Reactions: adm_geomatics
This is WAY more detail than the client has asked for
Always. I look at it the same way any time I come across a project that has some attribute that I don't always have access to or something I have never seen before. I think that is time well spent for sure. Plus sometimes when you can show a client an option of a next level they might like it.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just wanted to share a project I have been flying this year. I am sure you all like flying around cranes right? This project consists of a map of 230 acre that has to be flown in 3 pieces to maintain VLOS. The entire limits of the current phase is 570 acres! On top of that it is 1/4-mile 10 degrees west of a small airport flight path. This is where the cranes are helpful because manned aircraft typical don't even get close to them. Other deliverables are 24 progress photos, 7 videos and 31 panoramas. All in it takes about 2.5-3 hours of flight. Definitely a top 3 for 2023!

360 Panos on Kuula

View attachment 4178
Those panos are awesome! You got really close to that crane. What are you flying?

Thank you! Yeah it's crazy how cranes and things like that happen to sit exactly where scheduled progress captures are. The site was off though so it wasn't going anywhere. I fly the Mavic 3 Enterprise with RTK.
Just one more question - do you use a base station or NTRIP?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164