Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

LE use on events

rvrrat14

Reaction score
Does anyone fly overwatch type missions for parades, special events, etc.

If so, please explain ops. Thanks!

We fly for our local LE depts for "Events".

It depends on the event but basically in general terms we establish the mission agenda up front and position the aircraft in a Safe Zone and live stream the video to our Command Trailer so the powers-to-be can watch it live. We've done several "Events" including parades, high interest ballgames and such. We've been doing this for a few years now.

We fly for our local LE depts for "Events".

It depends on the event but basically in general terms we establish the mission agenda up front and position the aircraft in a Safe Zone and live stream the video to our Command Trailer so the powers-to-be can watch it live. We've done several "Events" including parades, high interest ballgames and such. We've been doing this for a few years now.

Just curious...what do you use as your live stream software program and equipment? Uploading stream to AWS cloud via cell connection? Secure login to a website for viewing?

Thanks...

Just curious...what do you use as your live stream software program and equipment? Uploading stream to AWS cloud via cell connection? Secure login to a website for viewing?

Thanks...

It depends on who the viewing crowd is and how "sensitive" the data is. If it's just "Even Security" we have used YouTube Live. Most of the time we are using Apple iPad to Apple TV to stream it into the Command Trailer.
If we don't have the Command Trailer on hand (smaller events) we can stream to my laptop using LonelyScreen.

If it's sensitive and we DO have the Comm Trailer handy I have the ability to hard-wire to the trailer via HDMI cable but this is not my preferred method as I can't move around as much.

Reactions: rvrrat14
It depends on who the viewing crowd is and how "sensitive" the data is. If it's just "Even Security" we have used YouTube Live. Most of the time we are using Apple iPad to Apple TV to stream it into the Command Trailer.
If we don't have the Command Trailer on hand (smaller events) we can stream to my laptop using LonelyScreen.

If it's sensitive and we DO have the Comm Trailer handy I have the ability to hard-wire to the trailer via HDMI cable but this is not my preferred method as I can't move around as much.
Can you discuss YouTube live vs Facebook live. I’ve used FB Live with a special group created for ONLY those invoved. Haven’t tried YouTube Live. THANKS!

Can you discuss YouTube live vs Facebook live. I’ve used FB Live with a special group created for ONLY those invoved. Haven’t tried YouTube Live. THANKS!

It sounds just like YT Live. The only difference is the we do it PRIVATELY and the only people who can view the live feed are the ones we have emailed the link to. One thing to mention is Live Streaming to YT is built into the DJI Go App so it's pretty easy and straight forward if you're using DJI products.

Does anyone fly overwatch type missions for parades, special events, etc.

If so, please explain ops. Thanks!
It would help if you mention what country since laws are vastly different from country to country.

It sounds just like YT Live. The only difference is the we do it PRIVATELY and the only people who can view the live feed are the ones we have emailed the link to. One thing to mention is Live Streaming to YT is built into the DJI Go App so it's pretty easy and straight forward if you're using DJI products.

Thanks. FB Live is integrated into Go 4 as well. I’m a DJI guy, too. May need to give it a try and see if there are any noticeable differences between the two.

Reactions: BigAl07
Sorry. United States of America.
If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Reactions: The Editor

Thanks, I'll have to check out LonelyScreen. We currently use an AV out connection through a BlackMagic adapter to a separate laptop that has cell connectivity, use Adobe Flash Media software, to Amazon Web Service (AWS) and to a secure website. We can HDMI hardwire also, but you're right, that does restrict movement to the length of the wire. If we're doing a demo and want to set up a big screen TV in the back of the UAV SUV, that's when we'd hardwire, for the most part. The reason we use AWS is that if an event is or turns out to be sensitive, it's on their secure server - no worries on our end. Pretty slick, actually. For example, I was on the convention floor at AUVSI Atlanta, logged in to the stream website via my iPad, and could watch live video from a mission another pilot was flying at the same time.

But, always looking for another solution, thanks!

Would like to hear more on your experience with FlightHub.

Small number of birds I see doesn’t not allow live streaming. Seems off that ALL plans do not include this function.

I like flight hub for video streaming...that was it though. We were getting about a second of latency when streaming to Panasonic Tough Books on 4G LTE Verizon. Flight Hub required you to use Pilot App as well, which is missing some key functionality. We had our second controller running DJI Go 4 though, but it didn't solve all the issues such as the lack of detailed battery voltages which we routinely check in flight. The Beta has been closed and we no longer have access. I requested funds for it in the new budget year, so we'll see. The flight management side of it was garbage as was the logging.

Reactions: rvrrat14
We recently worked with a local LE agency on UAS operations overwatch for the Los Angeles Marathon. We ran multiple UAS posts with four operational aircraft on call to assist ground units. We also used DJI AeroScope for drone detection and monitoring as well as FlightHub which streamed our operations to the command post and LT's tablet. Our operations were a success on both our UAS front as well as the UAS monitoring side of rogue and civilian UAS flying in restricted airspace during the event.

Now that I did the part 107 examination, I can fly for my local pd when we have events, something the chief asked me about after he saw me flying in a local soccer field for fun, after the recent mass shooting at the Highland Park Illinois 4th of July parade. In fact next weekend they have an end of summer event in town and I have been asked to fly for the weekend. That will be awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM