Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Legal Demand of Autel Robotics Re: EVO II Enterprise Dual 640T (v3)

LoneStarISR

Reaction score
NOTE: If this problem cannot be solved, I will pursue a Qui Tam petition in the United States Federal Court, Southern District of Texas, citing the False Claims Act (FCA), 31 U.S.C. §§ 3729 – 3733, and Texas Title 2, Chapter 17, and the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Jurisdiction will be based on Diversity of location and Subject Matter since this involves the False Claims Act. If I seek remedy in court, I pursue a class status. That said, Autel should consider how many Autel EVO drones have been sold to Texas Parks and Wildlife alone and thus will involve the Texas Attorney General’s Office.

Also, note that Cody McCormick and Drone Nerds have performed as expected and that no conflict exists between myself, my company and Mr. McCormick or Drone Nerds.

This post is a request from myself to Autel Robotics to deliver the product which I purchased and supply to my company, the Enterprise Level Documentation of its product, Autel EVO II, Dual 640T, version 3, (The Drone or Drone), and cease all false advertising. I have already requested assistance via emails and telephone calls directly with Autel Robotics and via the distributor where I purchased the product.

My name is Tom Olson. I am the owner and chief pilot for Lone Star ISR. This is a new company working in the public safety and biology management space.

I chose Autel Robotics product based on: 1. Its advertisements (website); 2. Its retailers that the Drone purchased is an enterprise grade product; 3. That it installed the American made Teledyne FLIR Boson Core; 4. The features of its live deck product; 5. That it was not a geofenced product; and 5. The Drone’s price.

Autel has marketed its products to commercial and governmental consumers using false representations and without supplying the documentation necessary to operate this product.

What are Autel Robotics’ False Representations.
  • The Drone was built in Washington and equipped with a FLIR Boson Core camera installed.
  • The Drone can works in ranges of “15 km”, “9+ Miles”, and “9.3miles (15km) Maximum Transmission Range”.
  • The Drone was an Enterprise grade product.
  • The Drone has a 42-minute flight time.
Where are the False Representations Regarding the Camera Found?
See the following URLs:
Autel also propagated the false advertising down to its distributors, see the following URL:

boson 1.jpg boson 2.jpg boson 3.jpg

What Camera is Installed if not a Teledyne FLIR Boson Core?
On February 1, 2023, I emailed my sales representative, Cody McCormick, at Drone Nerds after seeing this video on YouTube:
while I was desperately trying to find documentation on the operations of the thermal camera. On the following day, Cody replied back to me, “Tom, Confirmed yours is not a FLIR thermal core.”. After deep digging, I have learned this is probably a thermal core manufactured by iRay, and IS NOT AN AMERICAN-BUILT THERMAL CAMERA, but actually made in China. See the following URL:
Where is the False Advertising Regarding the Distance?
The false statements about distance are found at the URL below where it states the drone is capable of operating at distances of “15 km”, “9+ Miles”, and “9.3miles”.
Simultaneously, stated in the Frequently Asked Questions, with the heading “Home / FAQs / Enterprise Products / EVO II Dual 640T”, under the subsection titled “Remote Controller”, it reads: “Under the FCC standard, the maximum image transmission distance is 9km; under the CE standard, the maximum image transmission distance is 5 km.”. This conflicting statement is located at the following URL:
Distance 1.jpg distance 2.jpg distance 3.jpg distance 4.jpg

What does it mean to be an Enterprise Product?
“Enterprise-grade” describes products that integrate into an infrastructure with a minimum of complexity and offer transparent proxy support – See Gartner. An Enterprise product provides: 1. Integration with other applications; 2. Lifetime Control; 3. Support the integration and use of enterprise-grade products at all stages of implementation and use; 4. Productivity tools like file-sharing or cloud connectivity; 5. Scalability to handle growth; 6. Deployability in multiple use cases;

The Drone purchased does not integrate with any other enterprise applications. The Autel Explorer sold to me is a closed software system without an application program interface (API), with a closed android operating system, unable to import KML files located in the cloud and unable to install 3rd-party software applications into the Smart Controller operating system. Professionally, as a Enterprise Software Architect, I have created a Developer Account at 道通开发者平台 and have been unable to create an application or even download the SDK.

Where is the False Advertising Regarding the Flight Time?
At the following URL, it reads: “42 Minutes of Flight Time Large propellers and revised flight algorithms provide the longest flight time in its category.” At no time has this Drone been able to hover for more than 36 minutes in zero winds at an altitude of 10’ AGL (65’ MSL) at a temperature of 68 degrees.
Documentation Deficiencies
All of the problems above were discovered while trying to obtain documentation on the thermal camera’s operation. Autel has failed to produce any documentation on the operation of its installed camera technology or the mission planning software. On January 31, 2023, I asked Autel Support via email for the documentation on the technical operations of the product. Additionally, I asked my sales representative to gain access to the documentation on the thermal camera’s operations and inquired to precisely what thermal camera was installed with the Drone I purchased if not manufactured by Teledyne FLIR. At this time, I only know this is not a FLIR Boson Core installed in the unit I purchased after relying on the representations made by Autel that it is was manufactured by Teledyne FLIR.

I have signed up to access the Autel Training website; when I have logged in, there is no training materials available to view at the following URL:
The only operational documentation that is available is the 62-page EVO II Dual 640T V3 User Manual-EN that was published on November 10, 2022. Therein, this document CONTAINS NO REFERENCE TO THE THERMAL CAMERA’S OPERATION and on page 30 reads: “HDMI port: Outputs image transmission signals.”, whereas the remote control HDMI Port outputs a mirror signal of the Smart Controller. This documentation is found at this URL:
The documentation that Autel is missing is related to its Autel Explorer software in its remote-control camera settings. These values include:
  • Detail Enhancement
  • Image Mode
  • Noise Reduction (self-explanatory)
  • Gain Mode
  • Thermal Imaging Emissivity (how far is this effective?, how much drain does this place on the battery)
  • Temperature Warning?
  • High and Low Temp threshold settings??
  • Isotherm
  • High and Low or Human Search? What are those values??
  • Overexposure warnings?
  • DeFog? (What are we defogging? Data received or are we defogging the camera lens?)
  • ROI???
Legal Liability Upon ALL Commercial Consumers. Why this is important?
All of Autel Robotics commercial consumers should be demanding that Autel produce proper documentation due to the civil liability which they may be subject to in a court of law.

For example, if an engineering company uses thermography data derived from an Autel Robotics Drone, which you have flown, you may be called into court to testify to the capabilities of the Drone which you used to collect that data. A prosecuting attorney will ask you how you received your training and what documentation you have which you used to support your findings. What will your answer be? You may find the liability becomes shifted to you, the operator, if you did not follow the manufacture's published guidelines… or worse, you made up the guidelines because you did not have the documentation.

In an another scenario, if you worked on a Search and Rescue operation that became a criminal investigation, the defense attorney has the right to question your effectiveness in using Autel Robotics product. If the Search and Rescue effort becomes a kidnapping case, the chain of evidence matters.

These are the reasons this post is important.

The Purpose of this Post. What am I seeking?
Since I cannot directly or indirectly reach anyone at Autel, I am hoping that someone from Autel will see this post here. My desire is that I receive the product that I purchased and all associated documentation.

If this does not happen, I will return the Drone to the seller and buy another product. If that does not happen, I will seek remedy in court.

Tom Olson
281-236-2506
[email protected]

Attachments

• boson 4.jpg
    boson 4.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 3
  • boson 5 - drone nerds.jpg
    boson 5 - drone nerds.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 3
  • boson 6.jpg
    boson 6.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 3
Good onya Tom, I’m over being screwed by big business. They know that the small guys don’t have the funds to seek recourse in the courts. Best of luck with your endeavours, I hope you get the outcome you’re looking for mate.
Regards

Reactions: LoneStarISR
Did anything ever come of this? I purchased an EVO II Dual 640T RTK V3 and had to send it back for a failed smart remote at 14 days. I am stuck within an exchange with the Authorized dealer losing roughly $1750 do to store policy (Drone Nerds)

• Wow
Reactions: MikeA
Did anything ever come of this? I purchased an EVO II Dual 640T RTK V3 and had to send it back for a failed smart remote at 14 days. I am stuck within an exchange with the Authorized dealer losing roughly $1750 do to store policy (Drone Nerds)
Cole,

I have an RMA number right now and will be shipping it back today.

Drone Nerds has stepped up to the plate to correct this. After a discussion with Robbie and Cody, they are making this return happen. For that reason, they will be the vendor I will recommend to those who ask and where I plan to purchase equipment from in the future.

Tom Olson

I too am dealing with the same exact two guys at Drone Nerds. Are they charging you the 25% restocking fee? My drone has been sitting at drone nerds for a week now waiting for my exchange.

I too am dealing with the same exact two guys at Drone Nerds. Are they charging you the 25% restocking fee? My drone has been sitting at drone nerds for a week now waiting for my exchange.
I am not discussing any further business relations with Drone Nerds, but to say that they are performing as promised.

I wish you the best possible outcome.

I am not discussing any further business relations with Drone Nerds, but to say that they are performing as promised.

I wish you the best possible outcome.
At first I didn't like your answer but I respect it and also wish you the best of luck in your exchange. I was trying to help us both out in getting the best deal possible, since we seem to both be in the same boat right now. No hard feelings here. Do you have any idea what you are looking to use next as a replacement?

At first I didn't like your answer but I respect it and also wish you the best of luck in your exchange. I was trying to help us both out in getting the best deal possible, since we seem to both be in the same boat right now. No hard feelings here. Do you have any idea what you are looking to use next as a replacement?
I do not have a hard and fast plan at the moment. I may proceed with the purchase of a M30T or Matrice 300 thermal but that is in flux at the moment. I know in the future we will be performing thermal inspections at locations which will almost certainly require the use of a Blue List UAV.

It's really pointless to join a group with the only purpose to spam it with a lengthy quasi-legal statement - that has absolutely no legal effect whatever. Even if anyone from Autel read this thread, they would not do anything about it, and posting here does not constitute service of notice.

You then say that you have received the option to return/exchange from the vendor from which you bought your drone - that is precisely what you should have done in the first instance. Since that is going the way you wish, your quasi-legal notice is made even more irrelevant (as well as having precisely zero legal effect).

It's really pointless to join a group with the only purpose to spam it with a lengthy quasi-legal statement - that has absolutely no legal effect whatever. Even if anyone from Autel read this thread, they would not do anything about it, and posting here does not constitute service of notice.

You then say that you have received the option to return/exchange from the vendor from which you bought your drone - that is precisely what you should have done in the first instance. Since that is going the way you wish, your quasi-legal notice is made even more irrelevant (as well as having precisely zero legal effect).
As a prospective Blue Sky certified drone purchaser, I appreciated reading the pertinent technical review information presented in this thread and do not consider it as “spam” as we did not get it as something totally unrelated to drones that was mass mailed involuntarily into all of our mailboxes. OP did the correct thing by placing it on its own thread in the general discussion forum with a properly descriptive title that we could select to read or ignore if desired.

Reactions: yarrr
NOTE: If this problem cannot be solved, I will pursue a Qui Tam petition in the United States Federal Court, Southern District of Texas, citing the False Claims Act (FCA), 31 U.S.C. §§ 3729 – 3733, and Texas Title 2, Chapter 17, and the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Jurisdiction will be based on Diversity of location and Subject Matter since this involves the False Claims Act. If I seek remedy in court, I pursue a class status. That said, Autel should consider how many Autel EVO drones have been sold to Texas Parks and Wildlife alone and thus will involve the Texas Attorney General’s Office.

Also, note that Cody McCormick and Drone Nerds have performed as expected and that no conflict exists between myself, my company and Mr. McCormick or Drone Nerds.

This post is a request from myself to Autel Robotics to deliver the product which I purchased and supply to my company, the Enterprise Level Documentation of its product, Autel EVO II, Dual 640T, version 3, (The Drone or Drone), and cease all false advertising. I have already requested assistance via emails and telephone calls directly with Autel Robotics and via the distributor where I purchased the product.

My name is Tom Olson. I am the owner and chief pilot for Lone Star ISR. This is a new company working in the public safety and biology management space.

I chose Autel Robotics product based on: 1. Its advertisements (website); 2. Its retailers that the Drone purchased is an enterprise grade product; 3. That it installed the American made Teledyne FLIR Boson Core; 4. The features of its live deck product; 5. That it was not a geofenced product; and 5. The Drone’s price.

Autel has marketed its products to commercial and governmental consumers using false representations and without supplying the documentation necessary to operate this product.

What are Autel Robotics’ False Representations.
  • The Drone was built in Washington and equipped with a FLIR Boson Core camera installed.
  • The Drone can works in ranges of “15 km”, “9+ Miles”, and “9.3miles (15km) Maximum Transmission Range”.
  • The Drone was an Enterprise grade product.
  • The Drone has a 42-minute flight time.
Where are the False Representations Regarding the Camera Found?
See the following URLs:
Autel also propagated the false advertising down to its distributors, see the following URL:

View attachment 3865 View attachment 3866 View attachment 3867

What Camera is Installed if not a Teledyne FLIR Boson Core?
On February 1, 2023, I emailed my sales representative, Cody McCormick, at Drone Nerds after seeing this video on YouTube:
while I was desperately trying to find documentation on the operations of the thermal camera. On the following day, Cody replied back to me, “Tom, Confirmed yours is not a FLIR thermal core.”. After deep digging, I have learned this is probably a thermal core manufactured by iRay, and IS NOT AN AMERICAN-BUILT THERMAL CAMERA, but actually made in China. See the following URL:
Where is the False Advertising Regarding the Distance?
The false statements about distance are found at the URL below where it states the drone is capable of operating at distances of “15 km”, “9+ Miles”, and “9.3miles”.
Simultaneously, stated in the Frequently Asked Questions, with the heading “Home / FAQs / Enterprise Products / EVO II Dual 640T”, under the subsection titled “Remote Controller”, it reads: “Under the FCC standard, the maximum image transmission distance is 9km; under the CE standard, the maximum image transmission distance is 5 km.”. This conflicting statement is located at the following URL:
View attachment 3871 View attachment 3872 View attachment 3873 View attachment 3874

What does it mean to be an Enterprise Product?
“Enterprise-grade” describes products that integrate into an infrastructure with a minimum of complexity and offer transparent proxy support – See Gartner. An Enterprise product provides: 1. Integration with other applications; 2. Lifetime Control; 3. Support the integration and use of enterprise-grade products at all stages of implementation and use; 4. Productivity tools like file-sharing or cloud connectivity; 5. Scalability to handle growth; 6. Deployability in multiple use cases;

The Drone purchased does not integrate with any other enterprise applications. The Autel Explorer sold to me is a closed software system without an application program interface (API), with a closed android operating system, unable to import KML files located in the cloud and unable to install 3rd-party software applications into the Smart Controller operating system. Professionally, as a Enterprise Software Architect, I have created a Developer Account at 道通开发者平台 and have been unable to create an application or even download the SDK.

Where is the False Advertising Regarding the Flight Time?
At the following URL, it reads: “42 Minutes of Flight Time Large propellers and revised flight algorithms provide the longest flight time in its category.” At no time has this Drone been able to hover for more than 36 minutes in zero winds at an altitude of 10’ AGL (65’ MSL) at a temperature of 68 degrees.
Documentation Deficiencies
All of the problems above were discovered while trying to obtain documentation on the thermal camera’s operation. Autel has failed to produce any documentation on the operation of its installed camera technology or the mission planning software. On January 31, 2023, I asked Autel Support via email for the documentation on the technical operations of the product. Additionally, I asked my sales representative to gain access to the documentation on the thermal camera’s operations and inquired to precisely what thermal camera was installed with the Drone I purchased if not manufactured by Teledyne FLIR. At this time, I only know this is not a FLIR Boson Core installed in the unit I purchased after relying on the representations made by Autel that it is was manufactured by Teledyne FLIR.

I have signed up to access the Autel Training website; when I have logged in, there is no training materials available to view at the following URL:
The only operational documentation that is available is the 62-page EVO II Dual 640T V3 User Manual-EN that was published on November 10, 2022. Therein, this document CONTAINS NO REFERENCE TO THE THERMAL CAMERA’S OPERATION and on page 30 reads: “HDMI port: Outputs image transmission signals.”, whereas the remote control HDMI Port outputs a mirror signal of the Smart Controller. This documentation is found at this URL:
The documentation that Autel is missing is related to its Autel Explorer software in its remote-control camera settings. These values include:
  • Detail Enhancement
  • Image Mode
  • Noise Reduction (self-explanatory)
  • Gain Mode
  • Thermal Imaging Emissivity (how far is this effective?, how much drain does this place on the battery)
  • Temperature Warning?
  • High and Low Temp threshold settings??
  • Isotherm
  • High and Low or Human Search? What are those values??
  • Overexposure warnings?
  • DeFog? (What are we defogging? Data received or are we defogging the camera lens?)
  • ROI???
Legal Liability Upon ALL Commercial Consumers. Why this is important?
All of Autel Robotics commercial consumers should be demanding that Autel produce proper documentation due to the civil liability which they may be subject to in a court of law.

For example, if an engineering company uses thermography data derived from an Autel Robotics Drone, which you have flown, you may be called into court to testify to the capabilities of the Drone which you used to collect that data. A prosecuting attorney will ask you how you received your training and what documentation you have which you used to support your findings. What will your answer be? You may find the liability becomes shifted to you, the operator, if you did not follow the manufacture's published guidelines… or worse, you made up the guidelines because you did not have the documentation.

In an another scenario, if you worked on a Search and Rescue operation that became a criminal investigation, the defense attorney has the right to question your effectiveness in using Autel Robotics product. If the Search and Rescue effort becomes a kidnapping case, the chain of evidence matters.

These are the reasons this post is important.

The Purpose of this Post. What am I seeking?
Since I cannot directly or indirectly reach anyone at Autel, I am hoping that someone from Autel will see this post here. My desire is that I receive the product that I purchased and all associated documentation.

If this does not happen, I will return the Drone to the seller and buy another product. If that does not happen, I will seek remedy in court.

Tom Olson
281-236-2506
[email protected]
You should have put the SaME effort as this POST into doing your research before purchase. Anyone could have told you everything you found out the hard way. WHY do the majority of the people by D J I ?

I do not have a hard and fast plan at the moment. I may proceed with the purchase of a M30T or Matrice 300 thermal but that is in flux at the moment. I know in the future we will be performing thermal inspections at locations which will almost certainly require the use of a Blue List UAV.
Check Teledyne FLIR they just came out with a new drone that seems to meet your specifications. I’m setting aside funds to buy one if the DJI ban keeps growing. By the way it’s only around $10k

Reactions: MikeA and AMann
You should have put the SaME effort as this POST into doing your research before purchase. Anyone could have told you everything you found out the hard way. WHY do the majority of the people by D J I ?
You are right, I too should have done my research on AUTEL before purchasing a $7k plus unit from them. I purchased this based off the reliability of my V1 EVO II Pro that I have had since it came out. Yes my mistake, I'm now at the mercy of the dealer on how much money I will lose in an exchange for a DJI 3T which I should have bought in the first place. The black listing of DJI was my main concern but heck AUTEL is made right across the street from DJI so I am sure they are doing the same information gathering and our wonderful Gov hasn't caught up to it yet. Thank you for recommending the Teledyne FLIR Drone (SIRAS). I have certainly learned the hard way in this situation and was looking to spread the word and hopefully partner up with someone (fellow Veteran) who is in my exact situation so we could get the best deal on our exchanges. I was wrong at many points of this situation and have learned greatly from it all. I do not have any issues with Drone Nerds yet, however it has been a week of my drone sitting at Drone Nerds and multiple phone calls without an answer as to what they can do for me or when they can do it. It's becoming frustrating to say the least, but driving home the point of do your research on the equipment and dealer before committing a substantial amount of funds to it all.

Reactions: MikeA
You are right, I too should have done my research on AUTEL before purchasing a $7k plus unit from them. I purchased this based off the reliability of my V1 EVO II Pro that I have had since it came out. Yes my mistake, I'm now at the mercy of the dealer on how much money I will lose in an exchange for a DJI 3T which I should have bought in the first place. The black listing of DJI was my main concern but heck AUTEL is made right across the street from DJI so I am sure they are doing the same information gathering and our wonderful Gov hasn't caught up to it yet. Thank you for recommending the Teledyne FLIR Drone (SIRAS). I have certainly learned the hard way in this situation and was looking to spread the word and hopefully partner up with someone (fellow Veteran) who is in my exact situation so we could get the best deal on our exchanges. I was wrong at many points of this situation and have learned greatly from it all. I do not have any issues with Drone Nerds yet, however it has been a week of my drone sitting at Drone Nerds and multiple phone calls without an answer as to what they can do for me or when they can do it. It's becoming frustrating to say the least, but driving home the point of do your research on the equipment and dealer before committing a substantial amount of funds to it all.
Wow, I didn’t mean to be so hard on you. 😔

Florida Drone is doing a series on the Teledyne drone here is the link
I have a least $15 grand tied up in DJI gear so if they continued to get banded I’m in trouble on the government side,😕.
By the way I have the 3E and 3T you will love them. Each has it’s unique benefits. If you bought the 3E with accessories it would still be cheaper than the M30T.

If you see a lot of used M30Ts come on the market that is a sign that DJI’s will be fully banned

The Teledyne drone is pretty close to the things you wanted . Here are the specs SIRAS - Professional drone with thermal and visible camera payload | Teledyne FLIR

As you will see your will still need read the FINE PRINT :

Q: WHERE IS THE SIRAS MANUFACTURED?​

A: The aircraft is manufactured in Taipei, Taiwan from components sourced principally in Taiwan. The payload is manufactured at the Teledyne FLIR facility in Goleta, Calf., USA. Repairs and primary customer service are also performed in the USA by Enterprise UAS.

See where the source of the parts are. key word (PRINCIPALLY)

There is not guarantee that this drone will make the acceptable list.🤔

Good luck it getting your situation cleared up

Wow, I didn’t mean to be so hard on you. 😔

Florida Drone is doing a series on the Teledyne drone here is the link
I have a least $15 grand tied up in DJI gear so if they continued to get banded I’m in trouble on the government side,😕.
By the way I have the 3E and 3T you will love them. Each has it’s unique benefits. If you bought the 3E with accessories it would still be cheaper than the M30T.

If you see a lot of used M30Ts come on the market that is a sign that DJI’s will be fully banned

The Teledyne drone is pretty close to the things you wanted . Here are the specs SIRAS - Professional drone with thermal and visible camera payload | Teledyne FLIR

As you will see your will still need read the FINE PRINT :

Q: WHERE IS THE SIRAS MANUFACTURED?​

A: The aircraft is manufactured in Taipei, Taiwan from components sourced principally in Taiwan. The payload is manufactured at the Teledyne FLIR facility in Goleta, Calf., USA. Repairs and primary customer service are also performed in the USA by Enterprise UAS.

See where the source of the parts are. key word (PRINCIPALLY)

There is not guarantee that this drone will make the acceptable list.🤔

Good luck it getting your situation cleared up
I didn't take it hard at all. I am learning from you more experienced folks. The Marines taught me a long time ago check your feelings at the door, its just business. Something we don't do often in this country anymore is admit we are wrong, no shame here. I greatly appreciate the knowledge and comments you all have shared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143