Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Let's have some fun and learn.

Outta Control

Reaction score
Website
www.hoveranalytics.com
This was taken from today's solar panel mission.

What is this anomaly?

Damaged Cells? Faulty Junction Box? Mud on the panel?

5wPiNeXh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodger and clackey
Not a bad guess AH.

In analyzing thermal data it is like trying to debug or repair you computer. One tries to eliminate the obvious based on their background, knowledge, and experience.

Though the outline doesn't conform to a shape of a solar cell, it does seem more of a natural form, like dirt or mud. If it were some form of mud or dirt the thermal radiation it would emit a value similar to the panel itself, BUT based on the conditions I flew the mission was under a foggy and cool. Thus I would actually get the opposite data and thermal read.

The beauty of learning thermography is about attention to detail.

So the white image you see on the photo was actually a reflection of the tree tops to the left. This reflection was cast upon the ultraviolet rays of the sun on to the tree's leaves, then refracted onto the panel itself.

So thanks for the participation.

Hopefully this was educational and helpful. Did y'all like this? Let me know and I'll do more.

Last edited:
This was taken from today's solar panel mission.

What is this anomaly?

Damaged Cells? Faulty Junction Box? Mud on the panel?

5wPiNeXh.jpg

Very good example or should I say lesson. Please keep the lessons coming. I find this very interesting and helpful.

Nice example! Definitely NOT the droid I was looking for .....
But it begs my question as to how you would go about identifying the root cause for the anomaly?
Shake a tree branch (LOL)? Attack the problem from a different perspective (or flight angle :) ??

"Please Professor Outta, tell us your secrets, Your My Only Hope ! "

But it begs my question as to how you would go about identifying the root cause for the anomaly?
Shake a tree branch (LOL)? Attack the problem from a different perspective (or flight angle :) ??

I would imagine that he took the photo and had first hand knowledge of the scene. Therefore he used it as a teaching example with a definite answer. Just my thoughts.

I would imagine that he took the photo and had first hand knowledge of the scene. Therefore he used it as a teaching example with a definite answer. Just my thoughts.

Pretty close Rodger. Good job.

As any good thermographer should do is collect the image first then analyze the data later. I never make an analysis on the spot with my monitor. Why? Because I am the rPIC of the mission and my priority is aircraft safety. When I work as a thermographer it is 30% data capture and 70% data analysis.

Thank you for the comments RenoAndy.

If you have a scenario or thermal subject you want me to help you learn and understand, I will let you be the first.

Thank you for the comments RenoAndy.

If you have a scenario or thermal subject you want me to help you learn and understand, I will let you be the first.

First, I'm a complete noob at thermal. My question involves natural gas, crude oil and other secondary gathering type pipelines. Inspecting underground pipelines by flying over right-of-ways (using thermograph) on a reoccurring basis is it possible to 1, identify possible subsurface leaks and 2, overlay images to identify changes that could possibly result in leaks in the future. It seems it would be good to capture the delta along the pipeline as it could be an indicator of trouble. I'm not talking major transmission lines, mostly smaller diameter pipes 4" to 10". The smaller gathering systems could cover up to 20 miles and cross waterways like small rivers, lakes and wetlands. What are your thoughts.

First, I'm a complete noob at thermal. My question involves natural gas, crude oil and other secondary gathering type pipelines. Inspecting underground pipelines by flying over right-of-ways (using thermograph) on a reoccurring basis is it possible to 1, identify possible subsurface leaks and 2, overlay images to identify changes that could possibly result in leaks in the future. It seems it would be good to capture the delta along the pipeline as it could be an indicator of trouble. I'm not talking major transmission lines, mostly smaller diameter pipes 4" to 10". The smaller gathering systems could cover up to 20 miles and cross waterways like small rivers, lakes and wetlands. What are your thoughts.

Hi Texbow,

Thanks for your question. Underground pipe detection is one that I am not familiar with but, if I had to make an educated response it would be the following.
1) You would want the highest possible environmental delta to locate potential anomalies. This being that the soil is significantly cooler than the pipes themselves. Though I am not the expert at this, I would not consider every hot/cold spot I detect as a leak.
2) The only way I could imagine to truly identify any major leaks would be include recording the inspection at least twice a week for a period of time.
3) One would want the highest resolution possible for detection. A 336 resolution would not be an ideal sensor for this type of job.
4) The size and depth of the pipes, and the type of soil it sits on would certainly affect your results. See #2

I've attach a video of a pipes line inspection, and incidentally came upon an underground anomaly from a pipe below the ground.

Reactions: ArrUnTuS
Hi Texbow,

Thanks for your question. Underground pipe detection is one that I am not familiar with but, if I had to make an educated response it would be the following.
1) You would want the highest possible environmental delta to locate potential anomalies. This being that the soil is significantly cooler than the pipes themselves. Though I am not the expert at this, I would not consider every hot/cold spot I detect as a leak.
2) The only way I could imagine to truly identify any major leaks would be include recording the inspection at least twice a week for a period of time.
3) One would want the highest resolution possible for detection. A 336 resolution would not be an ideal sensor for this type of job.
4) The size and depth of the pipes, and the type of soil it sits on would certainly affect your results. See #2

I've attach a video of a pipes line inspection, and incidentally came upon an underground anomaly from a pipe below the ground.

Thank you. I do think for a good test you would need to inspect the lines multiple times to establish a baseline and it would need to be done under similar weather conditions (temps). With the ability to record thermal and RGB at the same time seems to be a good solution. Software that lets you identify the differences of each file would be helpful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143