Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Level I sUAS Thermography Certified

NMcDonald

Reaction score
I passed the Level I sUAS Thermography course today. It was fairly easy. If you have a background in electricity/electronics like I do, it's a piece of cake.

Getting certifications adds credibility for getting better jobs. I'm looking forward to moving on to see where this will take me.

Reactions: fleiguy
Well done and congratulations! Added qualifications/certification will help move you ahead of the competitive pack, and should open several new opportunities (HVAV, SAR, utilities inspections, and FD consultation) - especially if you were to combine it with a 107.29 daylight operations waiver. Best of luck!

Reactions: NMcDonald
I passed the Level I sUAS Thermography course today. It was fairly easy. If you have a background in electricity/electronics like I do, it's a piece of cake.

Getting certifications adds credibility for getting better jobs. I'm looking forward to moving on to see where this will take me.

Where can you take that course, where did you take it, how much did it cost, who did you take it from.
and Congrats.

Where can you take that course, where did you take it, how much did it cost, who did you take it from.
and Congrats.
You can find free information (including webinars) at FLIR's website Training | FLIR Systems

Yo can also find FLIR DELTA (Drone Education Lab for Thermal Applications) mini-webinars here FLIR Delta | FLIR Systems

And you can get the details about FLIR's in-person certification workshops - including pricing (currently $1995) offered at various locations around the country here Trainings - FLIR-Direct.com

Reactions: Krvelasco
and Congrats.
I did the training through FLIR's ITC company.

Infrared Training Center

Cost is $1995 USD. There are a bunch of free thermography information courses you can take. I ended up getting a 15% discount coupon, which is what finally pushed me to register and go. I highly recommend it, because you'll get real world practical advice on how how to do different inspections.

Well done and congratulations! Added qualifications/certification will help move you ahead of the competitive pack, and should open several new opportunities (HVAV, SAR, utilities inspections, and FD consultation) - especially if you were to combine it with a 107.29 daylight operations waiver. Best of luck!
Yep, next step is go dig through the FAA webinars on waivers and COAs and do the process.

Yep, next step is go dig through the FAA webinars on waivers and COAs and do the process.
Processing pilot applications is pretty consistent now; figure approx. 90 days each for the 107.29 and 107.41s at non-FAA controlled fields, while 107.41s for DoD fields will run approx. 120 days (since this involves multiple agencies.) If you take the time to compete the application accurately and thoroughly you should have no issues. (In my personal experience I've found both FAA and DoD personnel thoroughly professional and easy to work with.

Welcome to the world of sUAS Thermography brotha.

Here is our 2017 Graduation Class photo with Adam A, Chris K., and others doing our best Jon McBride impression.

GgG1Kmfl.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings, gents. I am considering attending the ITC March class, and would like to solicit the opinion of anyone who has been. I have somewhat of a background in the use of more sophisticated FLIR systems as a helicopter pilot with DHS for some years. Would this course still be worth the buck as someone who is looking to move into the inspection market with an M210 RTK/XT2?

Additionally, they offer a $495 optional add to the price of the course in which you receive a FLIR C3 pocket camera along with a set of reports tools and software. Think that is decent investment? I could potentially see the C3 being useful for familiarization and hands on applications around the house as a prep for the course.

Any guidance or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Joe

I did the course back in November out in PHX. I found it extremely useful, because you go through the basic concepts of heat transfer, how the cameras work and some basic heat conduction principles. If you have a background in electronics, are comfortable already using cameras and analyzing the images, this is a snap. I didn't pay the extra money for the hand held, because I have no interest in that. You can download the FLIR reporting template for free. If you're like me, and you're looking to differentiate yourself from the other drone pilots, I recommend getting this certification. I'm just now getting started, and I've generated a fair amount of interest in my new skills. I'm getting ready to make a proposal to a company for doing a pipeline survey. There aren't a ton of 107ers who have this. I recommend doing the course for the certification. I really liked it a lot. We did hands on exercises in class that helped me understand how the cameras work. You have to take one quiz and pass it, and you must pass the final. Your final grade is a combo of the quiz and final test. You also have 30 days to do a field test before you get the certification, so don't delay; do it while you're still really motivated.

Thank you for the insight. I could see this being cost and risk prohibitive for many UAS pilots. It is fairly daunting to put that much money into the air with anything that does not have excellent corporate support and airworthiness, not to mention supply chain backup. That being said, it appears that you feel that the training enhanced your understanding, safety, and ability to find work so at the end of that day, that's what it's all about in my book! Thanks very much. Hope to hear anyone else chime in who might have positives and negatives for the sake of balance.

Thank you, Bigal for the warm welcome.

Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome!

I took the course 2 years ago, class #4, and if you look through my previous post, I've given my personal thoughts on the ITC course.

In a nutshell, if you are working with client that require Absolute temperature measurement, then take the Level 1 sUAS course. Just be well prepared for the information.

If you are doing simple Qualitative measurements, then pick yourself up an affordable handheld and start taking data, and start to analyze and understand what you are seeing.

Going to FLIR's DELTA series is a good start.

Oh and yes having a handheld , as opposed to flying or hauling your aircraft around everyday to capture data is a lot easier.

Having practical experienced has more weight than having a certification. I was a self-taught drone thermographer for nearly 3 years before ITC offered their sUAS course.

I will not stop anyone from taking the course, but if the cost-to-knowledge transfer is not there, then it is money wasted.

What I mean by that is thermography, like any acquired skill, needs constant exploring and learning.

This is my latest testing aka "screwing" around to see the performance of my 3D printer's hot bed on my FLIR ONE Pro.
1550609258395.png

*Just because one is certified, it doesn't meant they are proficient at their skill.

Last edited:
Great discussion here - I thank you all. I'm the 107 pilot here at work in a technology company. I'm considering paying for the course my self as a "Plan B" of sorts. Security is sometimes self-made and a matter of always adding value when it's within reach.

Curious whether you took the in person course or the on line version. Also, did you already possess an IR device or did you rent one for the class?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM