Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Litchi Waypoint flying and VLOS LAANCE waivers

Gahan Haskins

Reaction score
I have been checking out Litchi for my Air2S. Looks great.
Waypoints look extremely useful.
Question.
Using waypoints looks like you would rarely see your drone flying a route.
What has been forum members experience getting a LAANCE for flying beyond VLOS?
Thanks in advance.

The LAANC authorization process does not ask if your flight will be VLOS, however part of the process is a statement that you agree to adhere to all FAA drone regulations -- of which maintaining VLOS is one of them.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
What has been forum members experience getting a LAANCE for flying beyond VLOS?
A BVLOS waiver is a whole different ballgame. Currently, very difficult to get one. If you fly BVLOS without a waiver, you are in violation. Simple. It makes no difference if you are flying or Litchi (automation) is in control.

Reactions: rx7ward and MikeA
I interviewed with a company doing police work for different agencies. They have a BVLOS waiver for 3 miles in one jurisdiction. In another, same equipment and pilots, they can't get one. Go figure.

I interviewed with a company doing police work for different agencies. They have a BVLOS waiver for 3 miles in one jurisdiction. In another, same equipment and pilots, they can't get one. Go figure.
I'm not surprised at that. Different areas would have different risk factors. Maybe one jurisdiction has a hospital with an active heliport and air traffic, while another might just be mostly residential.

I'm not surprised at that. Different areas would have different risk factors. Maybe one jurisdiction has a hospital with an active heliport and air traffic, while another might just be mostly residential.
Similar cities. Redondo Beach, Santa Monic and Beverly Hills. It might not be a bona fide FAA Waiver. The city makes a guarantee of responsibility etc. and the FAA blesses it.

Similar cities. Redondo Beach, Santa Monic and Beverly Hills. It might not be a bona fide FAA Waiver. The city makes a guarantee of responsibility etc. and the FAA blesses it.

It's possible they are flying under a Public Safety COA which isn't a waiver because the COA is not flying within Part 107 so Part 107 Waivers aren't applicable.

Getting a Public Safety COA is a LOT of work and takes a LOT of time requiring city/country attorneys, state attorneys etc all to sign off properly.

Reactions: Snowghost and MikeA
As to the OPs question. You don't need to fly beyond line of sight to use Litchi waypoints. Lately I use Litchi regularly and keep the drone withing 1500 feet of my location. The real beauty of waypoint flights is to have your drone fly exact flight paths repeatedly. I have clients that want photos and panos taken from the exact location on each visit. Litchi is perfect for thsoe kinds of flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StewR