Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Live Streaming using IOS Device

jasnwatsn

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a way to live stream without using a 3rd party (i.e. Kittyhawk, DroneSense, etc.). At first glance, one might say "just live stream to YouTube or Facebook". That's somewhat of the plan, but let me tell you what I'm using first and some of the obstacles I've run into first. I'm mainly writing this thread to see if anyone else has come up with a solution. As I work through my problem, if I have success, I'll update the post. So what I'm working with and my idea up till now:
DJI Enterprise Dual or Zoom
iPad mini 4 or 5
My idea was to have an HDMI pig tail come out of the iPad which I THOUGHT would just allow me to have a plug from my controller, to the lightning plug on the pig tail, the pig tail plugs into the iPad, and then an HDMI out to a bigger screen. Seems simple enough right? Yeah, no. What I learned was the lightning in on the pigtail is for power only to make the pigtail work.

Okay, so next work around: two iPads - one connected to the controller and one with the pig tail and HDMI connected to the bigger screen. (Oh by the way, for right now the HDMI is plugged into the screen so I'll know it works. I'll get to the live streaming set up in a second. I'm pretty certain if I get the HDMI issue to work, the rest SHOULD be a piece of cake.) Okay, with both iPads ready to go, I'm hoping I can screen mirror the "flight controller" iPad to the "broadcasting" iPad.

So to live stream (if i can get my screen mirroring idea to work) is to have the HDMI connected to a webcaster, the webcaster sends it signal to a Verizon hot spot (or whichever carrier you prefer). This sends the signal to a private YouTube channel for others to log into and view the flight. Whew. That was a lot.

So I say all this to basically ask if anyone has tried to do the same thing? Mainly with IOS devices. I've heard with CrystalSky tablets it's pretty simple, but since I'm not using an Android device, I've got to be a little bit more creative. Thoughts?

Reactions: dempseycreekkid
What’s in the iPad. My dilemma is that DJI doesn’t allow 3rd party live stream providers the full functionality of the Pilot app. So I have to go back and forth for example if I want to change palletes, use cross hairs, adjust camera exposure, etc. Plus if I can do it myself, then I might be able to save my organization some money...to be spent on something else hopefully.

I’ve tried screen mirroring on another app but I’ll try that one too. I’ll give you a call next week. Thanks.

Take a look at blu-link.

The only issue you may have off of your iPad is you need a HDMI out. But I'm guessing there is some way you can deal with that like an adapter. Or there are a couple android tablets that are inexpensive eith HDMI out.

I'm trying to put together a way to live stream without using a 3rd party (i.e. Kittyhawk, DroneSense, etc.). At first glance, one might say "just live stream to YouTube or Facebook". That's somewhat of the plan, but let me tell you what I'm using first and some of the obstacles I've run into first. I'm mainly writing this thread to see if anyone else has come up with a solution. As I work through my problem, if I have success, I'll update the post. So what I'm working with and my idea up till now:
DJI Enterprise Dual or Zoom
iPad mini 4 or 5
My idea was to have an HDMI pig tail come out of the iPad which I THOUGHT would just allow me to have a plug from my controller, to the lightning plug on the pig tail, the pig tail plugs into the iPad, and then an HDMI out to a bigger screen. Seems simple enough right? Yeah, no. What I learned was the lightning in on the pigtail is for power only to make the pigtail work.

Okay, so next work around: two iPads - one connected to the controller and one with the pig tail and HDMI connected to the bigger screen. (Oh by the way, for right now the HDMI is plugged into the screen so I'll know it works. I'll get to the live streaming set up in a second. I'm pretty certain if I get the HDMI issue to work, the rest SHOULD be a piece of cake.) Okay, with both iPads ready to go, I'm hoping I can screen mirror the "flight controller" iPad to the "broadcasting" iPad.

So to live stream (if i can get my screen mirroring idea to work) is to have the HDMI connected to a webcaster, the webcaster sends it signal to a Verizon hot spot (or whichever carrier you prefer). This sends the signal to a private YouTube channel for others to log into and view the flight. Whew. That was a lot.

So I say all this to basically ask if anyone has tried to do the same thing? Mainly with IOS devices. I've heard with CrystalSky tablets it's pretty simple, but since I'm not using an Android device, I've got to be a little bit more creative. Thoughts?
B&H and Amazon sell these that can stream HDMI video from IOS devices:

You are not going to be able to get HDMI output from an iPhone or iPad that is being used as a controller unless you use the apple TV device. Even so, the resolution will be limited to just that of the screen. I haven’t used a CineEye yet- but just bought on on daily specials from B&H. It looks well-made and my first test showed that it worked, but I haven’t tried it with the drone yet. One concern may be interference for the drone, and I will check that out soon . If it works, it will be much easier than streaming from Apple TV as it is portable and comes with a internal lithium battery, but that’s an option for you too if you set up a external power supply for it.

In either case though, you won’t be getting video from the drone, you will be just mirroring the screen view to your iPad.

Last edited:
I just looked.. amazon has a ton if HDMI out solutions for IPADs. Another thought is you could use a apple TV to link your IPADs screen to another device to stream it...

Just a thought...
Yeah, i got my HDMI dongle from Amazon, but have to screen mirror from the flight controller iPad to the iPad connected to the HDMI. I'll be working through it a little bit more as time allows. Thanks.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM