Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Looking for advice

I have tried setting POI's to get smoother transitions and it just doesn't work for me. I have tried various POI elevations and still having issues with transitions from one location to another. I change locations three times during the shoot to keep VLOS at all times so the video it actually three videos put together. Learning is so much fun when you get it right, and frustrating when you don't.

Not to go too far off topic, I’m just curious are you involved with the drone/engineering program at UC Merced? After seeing your other post I was looking at their program online and it looks pretty interesting.

As for your technique on your video, I think some of the other readers are right as far as it is hard trying to get close-ups and manually adjusting it in flight. Have you tried Virtual Litchi Mission to smooth it out? I was playing with that on the campus location and the buildings currently do not show up on their map, however The pads do show up on Google earth, making it possible to set up POI’s In the center of each building. The resulting simulated flight looks really smooth, of course that’s just a simulation! ;)

Last edited:
Not to go too far off topic, I’m just curious are you involved with the drone/engineering program at UC Merced? After seeing your other post I was looking at their program online and it looks pretty interesting.

As for your technique on your video, I think some of the other readers are right as far as it is hard trying to get close-ups and manually adjusting it in flight. Have you tried Virtual Litchi Mission to smooth it out? I was playing with that on the campus location and the buildings currently do not show up on their map, however The pads do show up on Google earth, making it possible to set up POI’s In the center of each building. The resulting simulated flight looks really smooth, of course that’s just a simulation! ;)

As for the university, Professor Brandon Stark heads up that department, I do work with him closely because of the proximity of the active college and the construction site. Many times I need to fly on the boarder of the active college and the construction site. My job is construction documentation.

I do use Litchi, and the video flights are autonomous so I can focus on the filming, OP monitors the flight. I haven't used the simulation, simulations and real world are two different things. Example, you can use Microsoft Flight Sim to simulate instrument approaches, adjust the weather, wind, and other factors, but in the real world the ILS approach can be much different.
I'm just trying to get better at doing videos, and it is like anything else, the learning curve. Thanks for your response.

As for the university, Professor Brandon Stark heads up that department, I do work with him closely because of the proximity of the active college and the construction site. Many times I need to fly on the boarder of the active college and the construction site. My job is construction documentation.

I do use Litchi, and the video flights are autonomous so I can focus on the filming, OP monitors the flight. I haven't used the simulation, simulations and real world are two different things. Example, you can use Microsoft Flight Sim to simulate instrument approaches, adjust the weather, wind, and other factors, but in the real world the ILS approach can be much different.
I'm just trying to get better at doing videos, and it is like anything else, the learning curve. Thanks for your response.

Try the Litchi virtual mission app that’s listed on Mavic pilots by Namirda.

I found that it follows the flightpaths very closely, is easy to set up and test and simulate, for both the flight and camera movements was well. I use it mainly for mapping, however video works very well with it as I tested it a few times, even in windy situations. These drones are literally flying robots that are very precise, considering all the flight parameters they are facing, it’s pretty amazing technology.

Last edited:
Your using Litchi for mapping, that is interesting. Considering I'm a baby boomer the technology today does amaze me. How do we justify logging flight time when Auto is flying. When I do mapping with Drone Deploy once the mapping area is set up, I push a button, the drone takes off and begins the mapping, push another button to bring it back when batteries need to be changed, change batteries, and push the button again. To me, that isn't flying, that is being a computer operator. At least when I do the panos I do all the flying, I do all the panos manually because I don't like the way Litchi works with the Inspire 2, beside I can do four panos on one pair of batteries where I can only get three if I use Litchi.
With that said, I do keep my situational awareness and never just assume Drone Deploy or Litchi is going to perform perfectly, they normally do and that can be a trap if you aren't prepared to take control if something goes south. As for the camera control, I'm working on becoming smoother and prefer to control it manually so I can improve my skills, it also gives me the feeling I'm actually learning and doing something.
As for flight sims, they really don't interest me, example my grandson had a flight sim, did an outside loop at almost 500 knots, I explained to him he would be dead, the body can't take those kinds of Gs.

Your using Litchi for mapping, that is interesting. Considering I'm a baby boomer the technology today does amaze me. How do we justify logging flight time when Auto is flying. When I do mapping with Drone Deploy once the mapping area is set up, I push a button, the drone takes off and begins the mapping, push another button to bring it back when batteries need to be changed, change batteries, and push the button again. To me, that isn't flying, that is being a computer operator. At least when I do the panos I do all the flying, I do all the panos manually because I don't like the way Litchi works with the Inspire 2, beside I can do four panos on one pair of batteries where I can only get three if I use Litchi.
With that said, I do keep my situational awareness and never just assume Drone Deploy or Litchi is going to perform perfectly, they normally do and that can be a trap if you aren't prepared to take control if something goes south. As for the camera control, I'm working on becoming smoother and prefer to control it manually so I can improve my skills, it also gives me the feeling I'm actually learning and doing something.
As for flight sims, they really don't interest me, example my grandson had a flight sim, did an outside loop at almost 500 knots, I explained to him he would be dead, the body can't take those kinds of Gs.

I’m in the same boat you are as far as age. You’re not thinking about the benefits of a preflight simulation - I use it to check my camera angles and flight route, and for that rare occasion, what if you’ve accidentally programmed the flight to take it through a building or tree, or perhaps even underground? Drones aren’t made to do that! ;) It’s just a really good way to pre-check everything before you let it fly.

I started using Litchi instead of DroneDeploy for mapping because I can set the ground height so it maintains a constant AGL with varying terrain. That makes it really useful for more accurate photogrammetry. Say for example you need to map the side of a hill, normally people would stairstep it or fly at a higher elevation in order to get the entire hill, whereas I can have the drone stay a set height AGL no matter where it is on the hill thus maintaining a constant photo scale that way.

Keep in mind everything is pretty small scale, Just helping out my wife’s archaeology company and playing around with it as a hobby. I’ve been developing a local GIS database of my town using my drone for aerial imagery, and doing some field checking as well.

Last edited:
I'm a little late on this topic and I may have missed a post on what I'm about to say

1. why is the drone flying so fast? (cinematic or even detail/construction) a slower pace is always better
2. On editing, mix your shots (pan a 360 for the overview, do a couple of birdeyes over the top, add in a few raises or lowers shots)

I'm a little late on this topic and I may have missed a post on what I'm about to say

1. why is the drone flying so fast? (cinematic or even detail/construction) a slower pace is always better
2. On editing, mix your shots (pan a 360 for the overview, do a couple of birdeyes over the top, add in a few raises or lowers shots)

Thanks for your response, I think I already mentioned the client has a problem with file size. The first video I shot for them I shot at 4k, and it was about a 4 min 30 second video, he hated it because of the file size. They send these videos to many different people so he wanted something that covered the same area, but smaller file size, Solution was to fly faster, us 30 fps, and yes I'm not pleased with that, but he is paying the bill. I fully admit I"m learning video, so I do have a lot to learn. I honestly do appreciate all the advice.

Shoot in 4k, just render in 1080p or even 720p to save on file size. Your editing is what is key, if you can cut the time down to under 2:30 sec (that's about as long as the average person pays attention to report info), you see the video I did was only 2:14 sec. The raw unedited clips were about 15-20 mins. Editing is about pace, that is why 2:30 is about the max you want to go with. You're just a few years outside of the MTV style of TV (Music video's, Miami Vice, LA Law), people now days what it fast, slick, and over, while still getting a spoon full of content. As far as transitions go, blending one scene into another always works well, speed ramping keeps the pace or adds pace (just like I did above), cut scenes that are well timed work also.
Just remember those old westerns in the opening scenes (big sky background with a slow pan down to the cowboy on the horse, circle around the rider from front to rear and back away as he rides off down the trail) all that can happen within 15-20 sec's with the right editing. Keep up the work.

As you can see in the video, I'm covering a large area with several structures, I suppose I could cut the time on each structure, then slow the speed down a little. I do know I need to work on my transitions and camera movements. One of the things is my OP is a young lady from the college that has taken the UAV course and has her 107, however her attention span is very short to say the least, so I'm keeping one eye on her and the other on creating the video, I know, bad practice.
I set up an autonomous flight so she really has nothing to do but keep an eye on the drone and hold on to the other controller.
Your advice on the 2:14 seconds sounds spot on, and yes have been told it is too long.
The job site has another ten months to completion and hopefully I can create better videos as the completion gets closer.
Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: Recoveryone
As you can see in the video, I'm covering a large area with several structures, I suppose I could cut the time on each structure, then slow the speed down a little. I do know I need to work on my transitions and camera movements. One of the things is my OP is a young lady from the college that has taken the UAV course and has her 107, however her attention span is very short to say the least, so I'm keeping one eye on her and the other on creating the video, I know, bad practice.
I set up an autonomous flight so she really has nothing to do but keep an eye on the drone and hold on to the other controller.
Your advice on the 2:14 seconds sounds spot on, and yes have been told it is too long.
The job site has another ten months to completion and hopefully I can create better videos as the completion gets closer.
Thanks for your advice.
Unless the OP comes with benefits, might want to consider another OP! ;)

I am doing a project for a company in the same manner as what you are doing. Taking still shots and a video time lapse from grading to completion. Too bad your about 4 hours away from me, but would enjoy assisting you in your effort. I'm sure there should be some other pilots in your area on this form that would jump at the opportunity to help you out, experience is more valuable than pay when it comes to skill building. Reach out to the other forms on here and see if someone is willing to help (that can be in editing or flying). just my 2 cents.

I am doing a project for a company in the same manner as what you are doing. Taking still shots and a video time lapse from grading to completion. Too bad your about 4 hours away from me, but would enjoy assisting you in your effort. I'm sure there should be some other pilots in your area on this form that would jump at the opportunity to help you out, experience is more valuable than pay when it comes to skill building. Reach out to the other forms on here and see if someone is willing to help (that can be in editing or flying). just my 2 cents.

I have been given some good advice, problem is the job site is very restrictive about who comes on the site. I think I'm getting a handle on what I need to do, it is now a matter of putting the knowledge into practice. I would like to post some more video and photos I've taken but Multivista is very touchy about making their data public, and they follow this forum. Anything I post must be old news, and with their blessings.

Reactions: Recoveryone

Oh, and yes there are other pilots in my area, there just aren't many professional photographers and videographers.

Being a Photographer, video was a new realm for me. That book made an immediate difference in my videos. A BIG difference!

I plan all my shots and sequences with an eye to telling a story......and come away from a shoot with dozens and dozens of creative 8-15 second clips.....a 30 second clip is very, very rare, and even if I have one I won’t use all of it.

Last night I took one of my four minute videos, cut each building and area down to 10 to 15 seconds, got the video down to 2 min 5 sec then asked my wife what she thought, well at least I liked it. It isn't easy to make a construction site interesting.
I have decided to take little clips from two years ago and forward and attempt blending them to show the construction progression of the job site, this will be another learning process for me.

Thanks Fred, appreciate your knowledge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905