Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

mdurbanek

Reaction score
Website
www.architecturalshots.com
...to integrating drone aerials into my 30 year-old business.

I am an architectural photographer, and my intention is to incorporate drone views into my standard offering. Every shot has a preferred angle, and often that is an elevated position. Often it's only a few feet, but it can mean a lot. For years, my favorite shots seem to be the ones taken from the roof of my Suburban. Now I can trump that!

The 20 mp/24mm optics on the P4A made this possible. The sensor isn't equal to the D800 that I use for most of my work, but careful shooting and processing produces a solid2553sm-1.jpg image. Also, this business is using more video than ever before and I'll be doing that, too.

Most of my work is commercial or institutional architecture, and generally the roof is the ugliest part if the building, so I won't be going very high - but often times, a little is a lot.

I haven't done any billable projects yet, since I'm into 80 days waiting for my certification. Otherwise, I'm ready. See my work at www.ArchitecturalShots.com.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Allen

Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Allen
Thanks, Biggie, just took care of that.

Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome to our newest forum .
Take a little time and look around all our subforums to find what suits you and besure to read our Guidelines and ask if you have any questions in a message to any of the staff .
Enjoy all the knowledge members have to offer .
0rojyyg-png.60

Also be sure and visit this thread CDP Giveaway - Phantom 4 Pro... :)

I am an architectural photographer, and my intention is to incorporate drone views into my standard offering. Every shot has a preferred angle, and often that is an elevated position. Often it's only a few feet, but it can mean a lot. For years, my favorite shots seem to be the ones taken from the roof of my Suburban. Now I can trump that!

The 24mm optics on the P4A made this possible. The sensor isn't equal to the D800 that I use for most of my work, but careful shooting and processing produces a solidView attachment 98 image. Also, this business is using more video than ever before and I'll be doing that, too.

Most of my work is commercial or institutional architecture, and generally the roof is the ugliest part if the building, so I won't be going very high - but often times, a little is a lot.

I haven't done any billable projects yet, since I'm into 80 days waiting for my certification. Otherwise, I'm ready. See my work at www.ArchitecturalShots.com.

You mentioned you're waiting 80 days for certification before doing billable projects. I haven't taken the test yet, but I thought you could start working commercially as soon as you complete the test and have the temporary notice/print that you passed the test. Is that not correct? Thanks, John

You mentioned you're waiting 80 days for certification before doing billable projects. I haven't taken the test yet, but I thought you could start working commercially as soon as you complete the test and have the temporary notice/print that you passed the test. Is that not correct? Thanks, John
The rule reads: "Applications should be validated within 10 days. Applicants will then receive instructions for printing their temporary airman certificate, which is good for 120 days. The FAA will then mail you your permanent Remote Pilot Certificate within that 120 days."

I haven't received the instructions for printing a temporary certificate. After calling the FAA, they indicate that they are processing applications submitted as of November 27. I submitted mine on November 1. I'm assuming it's at the TSA now, but I really don't know.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

The rule reads: "Applications should be validated within 10 days. Applicants will then receive instructions for printing their temporary airman certificate, which is good for 120 days. The FAA will then mail you your permanent Remote Pilot Certificate within that 120 days."

I haven't received the instructions for printing a temporary certificate. After calling the FAA, they indicate that they are processing applications submitted as of November 27. I submitted mine on November 1. I'm assuming it's at the TSA now, but I really don't know.

I have a sneaky suspicion you've missed an email or something along the way. Have you logged into the system to see the status of it yet? You'll have a PENDING there where your certificate number will be later on.

Wow... Good to know. I didn't realize they're so far behind. Thanks for the heads up.

Great news! In fact, I'm hoping this will make folks feel better about the process.

I sent an email to the UASHelp email address, and received a phone call from them less than two hours later. It turns out that the Safari browser (I'm a 25 year Mac guy) doesn't handle their application properly if the preferences are set to block pop-ups. No sane person WANTS pop-ups. They should say something about this in the instructions, but I guess they can't address every anomaly in every browser.

But the bottom line is, the FAA system was responsive to my email and fixed the problem. And the guy on the other end of the conversation was competent, sympathetic and friendly. Kudos.

The 20 mp/24mm optics on the P4A made this possible. The sensor isn't equal to the D800 that I use for most of my work, but careful shooting and processing produces a solidView attachment 98 image. Also, this business is using more video than ever before and I'll be doing that, too.

I perused your gallery, very impressed, you have a lot to share on your expertise. :cool:

Great news! In fact, I'm hoping this will make folks feel better about the process.

I sent an email to the UASHelp email address, and received a phone call from them less than two hours later. It turns out that the Safari browser (I'm a 25 year Mac guy) doesn't handle their application properly if the preferences are set to block pop-ups. No sane person WANTS pop-ups. They should say something about this in the instructions, but I guess they can't address every anomaly in every browser.

But the bottom line is, the FAA system was responsive to my email and fixed the problem. And the guy on the other end of the conversation was competent, sympathetic and friendly. Kudos.
Good deal -- congrats. I'm sure it must have been a surprise when you received the phone call. I know what you mean about not expecting problems like that from a Safari browser. I'm a Mac guy as well and recently switched to using Firefox since I was experiencing problems with Safari and other websites like Godaddy. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: mdurbanek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM