Join our growing community today!

Looking to start aerial photography for real estate business.. Needing guidance

fishfryfred

Reaction score
Hello,

I've done research and have this completed so far:

-Bought/ Practices with 2 different drones
-Part 107 license
-Insurance (through SkyWatch.. unless you have a better choice)
-LLC in the works
-Logo + business cards in the works

The last couple things I am looking at are pricing and advertising. What is the going rate for aerial pictures? I've got photo editing software as well. I am likely not living in your area, so I won't be a competitor. ;)

Any tips from those that have done this in the past? I like to learn from people that have done it before.

Thank you!
Fred

And get your Part 107 FAA License. Getting caught without it could ruin your profitability.

#1 piece of advice: don’t give up the day job.

Realistically, there isn’t a livelihood to be made in real estate video as a sole operator. You might do better if you work with an existing business, or have a particular estate agent ready to pay you, but real estate is not where the income is.

if you’re only interested in making pocket money, you might have some success, but don’t give up the day job.

Gotta start somewhere... I had a photo studio for many years and thought of myself as a professional photographer. But every photo specialty requires study and experience to become proficient enough to ensure people will want to buy your product. I started shooting RE seven years ago. Was only marginally better than a GWC (Guy With Camera) for the first couple dozen shoots. Then came flambient and HDR techniques, hard work, Lightroom presets and plug-ins, etc., and I developed a truly professional workflow. I shot exteriors with a 16ft pole for two years, then bought a small UA and got Part 107 certificated. Pricing for aerials was all over the place for the first two years, until I made peace with the ground truth: the drone is just another camera/tool. I use it (or not) as part of a comprehensive shooting process that is different for every property. I also shoot walk-through videos with a stabilized iPhone, to great reviews - so I believe in using whatever works for the price being charged. I shoot 360-degree HDR stills for some properties and charge separately for those, because it's a second complete walk-through and shoot. But I only tack on a small added charge of $20-50 for the 3-7 aerial stills I shoot as part of a simple HDR house shoot. It took over two years for my Mavic Pro to pay for itself that way. If all the client wants is aerial work, I charge the whole-property stills fee (based on square footage) and produce about 15-25 aerial HDR stills. I've had four of those shoots in four years... So, most of my aerial work has been stills to go along with the rest of the interior/exterior shots as just part of the whole gig. I live in Charlottesville, VA and shoot in four surrounding counties out to a radius of 60 miles. There is enough real estate business for me to shoot 3-4 properties a week. I enjoy it immensely, but it isn't a living wage most months. Honestly, the likelihood of someone buying a small UA and drumming up enough RE business to be profitable quickly, is pretty slim. Realtors are notoriously cheap. Take a look on Zillow or Realtor.com at million-plus dollar properties and you will see tons of crappy photos shot with the realtor's smartphone. Fortunately, that's gotten better over the last few years. Used super yachts are still sold that way - it's amazing... So, if you really have your heart set on RE photography, go for it, but seriously temper your expectations or be prepared to make disappointment your best friend. Cheers.

Many people have come on the forum asking the same question. If you are looking to make money with a drone and photography to me real estate is the last place to look. Construction, and agriculture both pay fairly well and you don't need to be a professional photographer, however you should have video and photography basics down.
Also power companies are beginning to hire drone pilots. Take a course on inspecting cell towers I understand there is some good money in that.
I wish you the best of luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN