Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

M3E Map Box resolution

OzoneTech

Reaction score
Using 3rd party apps on M3E on mission planning the map displayed is Map Box. DJI does not support Google services on their smart controllers. The resolution of the map is very poor and unusable. I am based in Singapore,. Is it the same at other places too?
1710551180691.png

Using 3rd party apps on M3E on mission planning the map displayed is Map Box. DJI does not support Google services on their smart controllers. The resolution of the map is very poor and unusable. I am based in Singapore,. Is it the same at other places too?
View attachment 4377
I find the resolution of Google maps to be quite variable. Excellent for built-up areas - cities, towns, et., but poor to very poor for remote locations. Instead of satellite view, can you just select map view to make mission planning easier?
What kind of Google services are you talking about?

I find the resolution of Google maps to be quite variable. Excellent for built-up areas - cities, towns, et., but poor to very poor for remote locations. Instead of satellite view, can you just select map view to make mission planning easier?
What kind of Google services are you talking about?
The maps displayed on M3E RC is not Google maps. It is in Map Box.

Create your own mbtiles.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am not familiar with mbtiles. I will do a search on it and see how I can create my own mbtiles. If you have any article or web site which will help me speed up, please let me know.

Reactions: OzoneTech
It appears that you're encountering limitations with the map resolution when using third-party apps like Map Box on the DJI M3E for mission planning in Singapore. The issue seems to stem from the lack of support for Google services on DJI's smart controllers, which affects the quality of the map display. This problem may not be exclusive to Singapore and could be experienced in other locations as well, depending on the availability and quality of mapping data.

Regarding your suggestion to switch to map view instead of satellite view for mission planning, it's a viable option to consider. While satellite view may provide detailed imagery in built-up areas, it might offer poorer resolution in remote locations. By using map view, you can access clearer and more consistent mapping data for efficient mission planning, especially in areas where satellite imagery is limited or of lower quality.

As for Google services, they typically include various features such as Google Maps, Google Earth, and location-based services that rely on Google's mapping data. However, due to compatibility issues with DJI's smart controllers, accessing Google services directly may not be feasible. Instead, exploring alternative mapping solutions or adjusting settings within existing apps could help optimize mission planning and map display quality on your DJI M3E.
DJI Pilot 2 only uses AMap and/or MapBox. Creating a custom ortho in QGIS and then using the XYZ (MBtiles) exporter is the easiest free way we have found. Setting up your own WMS is the best but is then reliant on data. You can even add content on top of the map in QGIS if you want. I added the perimeter of the project and spot the locations of any special or recurring images that need to be taken.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143