Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Maps Made Easy... ?? display of full resolution 3D results

dougcjohn

Reaction score
Experimenting with Made Made Easy (MME) - Business Edition.
New to the MME, looked at it in past and didn't pursue... fresh look and it's gotten much better both in Program App & the Processing Service and Fee structure.
I like the under 250 pts free service... for a small block size project or learning project, that allows more experimenting time.

I've uploaded a few sets... they've processed clean, and the private & public links for the 3D and 2D views looks pretty good for "low resolution".
But as typical, the 3D low res when zoomed in are smeared or skewed a bit... that 3D melting look.
Zane (MME Rep) has been a great help, I may be pushing his limits on patience with my questions!

I was assuming... not knowing what to expect, that there would be a Full Resolution, Higher detail 3D Image available to view & download; The 2D Tiff & JPG are nicely detailed.

Questions:
I'm now understanding you need to download the hi-res 3D Files and use a Viewer.
Questions: 1) Do you grab the 3 - 3D files from the generated download section? 2) What is a good viewer, 3) Is there a method to compile or construct the 3D files into a single file to use with a player or maybe a self-running file?

I'm attempting to understand the method a construction, developer, realtor, Ag farmer, etc are to view their Hi-Resolution 3D images. MME indicates they are "too large" for a Web Browser so that rules out placing on Web page and sending them a URL Link. You can already do that with the MME low-res files.
A Client isn't going to have the software to compile & view... nor most won't want to perform the process to collect the multiple files to view the 3D image.

Last edited:
Another subject on the MME...
Converted JPG's from RAW.
I originally captured all the images in DNG / RAW on 2 platforms: I2 X5S 12mm & M2P.
Had captured 4 weekends of progress... granted it was early prep work, so no major changes.
Later discovered MME Cloud service only accepts JPG.

Using OnOne 2019 and Luminar 3 to export JPG from the RAW in 2 separate attempts.
The MME site accepted the JPG's, indicated there were "no thumbnails" but displayed correctly the Map & GPS to verify location... so GPS data was exported with the JPG conversion. Although, these maps later failed in processing for lack of required information.

As a 3rd attempt; I tried Lightroom to export the RAW to JPG. These uploaded with the correct Thumbnails associated but failed on the MME's GPS Map verification page... Error Msg indicating lack of GPS date and to try checking for GPS with GEOiMgr.com. Uploading a few JPG's to GEOioMgr showed the GPS data was within the Photos, and pulled up the associated map location.

Moving on... found that MME has within settings a switch to capture RAW. Flipped that OFF and proceeded to capture all JPG's for Map images. These sets all loaded and processed nicely.

The conversion from RAW to JPG is a bit puzzling... that shouldn't be a major issue.

I'm now understanding you need to download the hi-res 3D Files and use a Viewer.
Questions: 1) Do you grab the 3 - 3D files from the generated download section? 2) What is a good viewer, 3) Is there a method to compile or construct the 3D files into a single file to use with a player or maybe a self-running file?

I'm attempting to understand the method a construction, developer, realtor, Ag farmer, etc are to view their Hi-Resolution 3D images. MME indicates they are "too large" for a Web Browser so that rules out placing on Web page and sending them a URL Link. You can already do that with the MME low-res files.
A Client isn't going to have the software to compile & view... nor most won't want to perform the process to collect the multiple files to view the 3D image.

I, too, am just beginning to use MME. But to answer your question, you should download and install their recommended MeshLab 3d viewer software for higher resolution viewing. You should also download and store all of the files that were generated by MME to a single folder on your local drive because THEY WILL SOON EXPIRE on the MME site. Once they are on your local drive, open your installed MeshLab viewer and choose File > Import Mesh and open the .obj file. The additional two files (.3D.jpg and .mtl files) that are needed will automatically be found in that same local folder and applied. You can then twist the model around and take a snapshot of the various views for the client. Unfortunately, there is no way you can send a single 3d file to a client along with a simple viewer utility for dynamic 3D viewing -- which would be nice. But the client just needs to install MeshLab and be provided with the three .obj, .3D.jpg, and .mtl files to view the hi-res model like you do. Personally, I've also been using a video software (Camtasia) that I have to screen capture the model being twisted around for the client and for presentations. Hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: dougcjohn
I, too, am just beginning to use MME. But to answer your question, you should download and install their recommended MeshLab 3d viewer software for higher resolution viewing. You should also download and store all of the files that were generated by MME to a single folder on your local drive because THEY WILL SOON EXPIRE on the MME site. Once they are on your local drive, open your installed MeshLab viewer and choose File > Import Mesh and open the .obj file. The additional two files (.3D.jpg and .mtl files) that are needed will automatically be found in that same local folder and applied. You can then twist the model around and take a snapshot of the various views for the client. Unfortunately, there is no way you can send a single 3d file to a client along with a simple viewer utility for dynamic 3D viewing -- which would be nice. But the client just needs to install MeshLab and be provided with the three .obj, .3D.jpg, and .mtl files to view the hi-res model like you do. Personally, I've also been using a video software (Camtasia) that I have to screen capture the model being twisted around for the client and for presentations. Hope that helps a bit.
Super to hear.... I'm surprised Zane didn't mention their MeshLab 3D viewer. I'll grab that, that sounds like what I'm looking for at least to grab Hi-Res and to provide the more techie clients how they "could" view the 3D file. I looked at a few Web Sites that offered 3D viewing (Sketchfab, etc.) but most were 50MB limitation and others were a full Photogrammetry 3D modeling programs... found a few free open source but didn't work nicely.

I'd agree... the use of a screen recording capture is one method to consider. Having a self-contained viewer would pretty much need to be on USB Stick all preconfigured & files installed... with a shortcut at the Root level... a little dicey and more than I'd like to provide routinely.

I did catch the 30 day limitation and I was quickly grabbing all the files when their processing was completed for local archive storage. That too will collect quickly if many cross-grids are flown.

I'll grab there MeshLab 3D Viewer... looking forward to trying that out!

Have you examined any other 3d Viewer or 3D Product packages that have caught you attention. Was wondering if any of the packages created a method to condense to a smaller file size... but better detail than the low-res on MME site that could be placed on a Web page for URL sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker