Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Maps made easy questions

Reaction score
Hey all
first time posting new to the drone world using the free trial of maps made easy the map that was created seems choppy and not aligned is this just because it is the trial version or just the way it is ??

photos where taken 200’AGL
my thoughts where possibly flight speed was to fast
overlap was set at recommended 15% for map

and help or advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 6EE2017B-9621-499C-AAB3-03D41200CB6C.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Gagey52
The altitude was fine, but a 15% overlap is way to little IMO. When I use their Map Pilot program I don't set it for less than 75% overlap -- usually 85%. Maybe you had to set it that low to limit the number of photos for their free processing? And don't override the flight speed. Let the software decide during flight what speed is optimal, and then just go with it. I always get excellent results from MME.

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
overlap was set at recommended 15% for map
That is not the recommended overlap. It might be for what they call their "flat map" which is simply a stitched image, like a panorama. But not a georectified orthomosaic.

Open up Map Pilot and in the control center, tap on the overlap icon. Now look at the right in that dialog and it tells you the "recommended" overlap for various conditions.

Reactions: Gagey52
Greetings, welcome to the forum from the outback of Australia, have too agree with the previous correspondents. Overlap is way under the required parameters for good mapping. Have just started experimenting with MME myself and have found surprisingly intuitive for the price point. Re fly the project with higher overlap and let us know how it worked for you.
Regards

Mate it should be better than that. I can’t understand why the tracks and furrows aren’t lining up.
If it was me I’d lower the altitude, and cut the acreage in half ie do two maps to see if that makes any difference.
The other option is to install WEBODM and try to process the images that way. See if that makes any difference.
Regards

I agree there is something wrong with that processing. At 85% overlap and 250 AGL, there should be perfect tile match-up. The only factor that could be off that I can see would be the flight speed. What was that set at for this mission?

Reactions: Gagey52 and BigAl07
I agree there is something wrong with that processing. At 85% overlap and 250 AGL, there should be perfect tile match-up. The only factor that could be off that I can see would be the flight speed. What was that set at for this mission?
Flight speed was set at 13mph

Well I believe I recall my flights usually adjust to around 10-12 mph, so I'm at a loss as to where yours is going wrong. Super windy conditions? (Just grasping at straws.) I'd suggest submitting the problem to MME directly as they often will try to help. It's a little confusing... Drones Made Easy is the support entity for Maps Made Easy. Not sure why that is, but here is the link for their forum to post your issue and example. You may have to sign in. I'll be curious to know what you find out. https://support.dronesmadeeasy.com/hc/en-us

Reactions: BigAl07
Upon further investigation, I'm sure you must have accidentally opted for their Flat Map processing with a very small overlap. Here is their write-up regarding their Flat Maps output showing an example. I've attached an enlargement of their example and have circled some obvious photo misalignments that are similar to yours. I'd steer away from the "flat map" processing, as I question its usefulness.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: GsquaredAerials
Yes that would be what I have chosen to use what option should I have used instead of flat map
All depends on what you want. Those responding to you, including me, assume you want to produce a 3D surface. MME's "Flat Map" is not that. In fact it is not a "map" at all. It is a stitched panorama.

Maybe all you want is a "picture" of the surface? Maybe you don't yet know what your want? That would be the first thing to figure out.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM