Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Maritime Photography

Meta4

Reaction score
I liked photographing ships before drones made it easy.
Drones have really opened up the possibilities for angles that were previously impossible without very expensive helicopter flights.
The ships themselves are always interesting but the aerial perspective lifts the resulting images to another level, so far beyond the dead, flat sea level photos that are more usual.
Fortunately ship owners also love images that show off their vessels so well.
I always make the effort to make a picture rather than simply taking photos and the marine environment gives a lot to work with in the form of lighting, skies, water textures and bow waves.
With the right composition and lighting, even plain ships can make memorable images and the drone is the key to being able to compose shots that would have been impossible for me before.

Here are a few favourites from some recent flights:
DJI_0018aa-X3.jpg

Investigator, a 93 metre oceanographic research vessel coming in at sunrise after a two week offshore voyage.
One of my favourite ships - it makes a picture from any angle.

DJI_0802a-X3.jpg

Laust Maersk, a 266 metre container ship. The jumble of container stacks usually makes these ships visually interesting subjects.

DJI_0242aa-X3.jpg

FPMC B 103, not a glamour ship and unimaginatively named, this 254 metre bulk carrier is a real workhorse, loaded deep with 100000 tons of coal.

DJI_0247a-X3.jpg

Fedora, a 228 metre car carrier.
It's always a challenge making a picture with these ugly ducklings, definitely not the prettiest ships on the sea.

DJI_0591aa-X3.jpg

OOCL Chicago, a 277 metre container ship takes a bend at speed.

DJI_0094a-X3.jpg

Full speed ahead for Cape Marin, a 212 metre container vessel.
The head-on shot catches the power and speed as well as an interesting view of the bulb bow.

DJI_0293aa-X3.jpg

Lindanger, a 186 metre oil tanker shows the interesting pattern of reinforcing ribs and pipework on its deck , making an interesting contrast to the sea surface.

DJI_0523a-X3.jpg

Santa Cruz, a 300 metre container ship at speed.
The camera loves red.

Great pics, but I'm even more impressed with the mechanics of getting them! Shooting large ocean going vessels at speed would imply that you are out to sea, taking off and landing on a boat and trying to keep up with or even getting ahead of your subject. Sounds like a monster and the fact that you are doing it implies some killer skills on your part. Well done!

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Excellent work and KUDOS on adding the details for the rest of us. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Those are great pics! What type of setup are you using to get such clear pics at speed? Also, how far out are these ships, how are you getting out there, and how far away from them are you staying while photographing?

Those are great pics! What type of setup are you using to get such clear pics at speed? Also, how far out are these ships, how are you getting out there, and how far away from them are you staying while photographing?
Thanks ... they are shot with a Phantom 4 pro.
Distances vary, sometimes I shoot from a boat and others from the shore.
Here's an extra for you:
Shot under less than ideal conditions at ISO 800 1/10th sec with a 15 knot wind
DJI_0213aa-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM