Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

MaviC 2 Batteries: Shelf Life of Unopened Stock

TJS

Reaction score
I am about to buy four, DJI mavic 2 pro batteries. There are some retailers selling genuine ones at 10% discount, but I'm concerned that if they are old stock, the batteries may have partially deteriorated and not perform as well, or as long. Has anyone got a rough idea on whether this is a logical concern please ?

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. It is a concern that you should consider, my mavic batteries are three years old and have worked hard. Still going strong.
Regards

Yes , it is a concern, for all batteries. However, DJI has done a very good job with their batteries, at least the Mavic2 ones (from my experience). They should be in a state of hibernation, partially charged. You "wake" them up and charge to full. You'll most likely need to update their firmware, and be sure to set the discharge timeframe. I set mine at 2 days. If I charge them up and do not use them by 48 hours, they will begin to discharge down to storage levels. Nice feature. If you use a commercial logging system, like Airdata UAV, you can put them in your inventory so when you sync flight logs the battery data will be captured as well.

Once charged up, check the battery health on the controller. Make sure the cells are balanced and no issues are seen. if anything is off just contract the seller for a replacement. In my experience, the Mavic2 batteries are really a notch up in reliability, management and user friendliness.

Thanks Fred - the info on checking battery health is particularly useful - i can stop worrying about how long the batteries have been in the retailers storage when I buy them, and instead do a thorough check on their health immediately on their arrival. If good great, if not - I return to seller for a replacement/refund.

Just heard back from DJI help desk on this - they say the shelf live of batteries in stock is usually only 3 to 4 months ! though up to a year can sometimes be ok.

Just heard back from DJI help desk on this - they say the shelf live of batteries in stock is usually only 3 to 4 months ! though up to a year can sometimes be ok.
Wow, that seems odd. If you consider the warehouse and store processes... may not even make it to a store's shelf in less than 6-12 months from a large distribution warehouse.

I'd agree with Fred, like many computer batteries... the DJI batteries appear to be in a neutral storage state pending a charge. They may dissipate a very minor amount... if even noticeable.

I have TB50, TB55, TB48 and various Mavic Batteries that sit for extended periods well beyond 3-4 months (Winter storage) without issues.

Yep, I wondered how reliable it was. My question made it extremely clear it was about shelf-life of Mavic 2 batteries in shop stock. I have asked permission to share the answer, which they have given. Here it is:-

"Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for your inquiry.
Generally, the shelf life is about three to four months if they are not being charged. I have experienced cases where the batteries lasted for a year on a shelf.
If you want to buy a drone and the batteries should be defective, feel free to contact us about this matter.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Viele Grüße / Best Regards,
Philipp Schneider
Technical Support DJI GmbH"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry woodham