Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual - Utility Line - Hot Spots?

Nitz

Reaction score
Would the Thermal Sensor on the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual be capable of capturing any hot spots on a utility line or on a utility pole?

I don't need absolute numbers, but just that there is a difference in temperature from other like objects.

Would the Thermal Sensor on the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual be capable of capturing any hot spots on a utility line or on a utility pole?

I don't need absolute numbers, but just that there is a difference in temperature from other like objects.

In some instances "maybe" but in others not so much. It depends on what "DATA" your client is needing and how accurate it needs to be. Remember the M2ED thermal is a 160 sensor so not that great...

In some instances "maybe" but in others not so much. It depends on what "DATA" your client is needing and how accurate it needs to be. Remember the M2ED thermal is a 160 sensor so not that great...

Data would only need to be if something looks 'off' as in, one phase of a 3 phase line is 'hotter' than another. Or bolts holding an insulator is 'hotter' than other bolts.

Reactions: BigAl07
Data would only need to be if something looks 'off' as in, one phase of a 3 phase line is 'hotter' than another. Or bolts holding an insulator is 'hotter' than other bolts.

It just depends on the temperature delta between "good" components (in theory cooler) and "bad" components (in theory warmer). The larger the delta the more pronounced they will appear. If it's only a few degrees you may not even notice a difference on the screen. In that case you'd need a radiometric camera and be able to understand the DATA in order to give an accurate report.

You may want to see if any of the companies out there that rent thermal equipment will be renting the Mavic Duo. I don't think it is going to fit your needs for what you are trying to do, but maybe you can rent one and test for yourself. Or if there is anyone out there that could provide a Thermagram for you to evaluate the target you described.

Reactions: Nitz and BigAl07
Thanks @BigAl07 and @TreeLineView
After talking with some of our engineers, it sounds like the dual may work for the 'initial' then we can call in our Thermal Team for an more comprehensive assessment.

A rental may be the best bet, unless you know of any UAS Suppliers that allow for demos. :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Hello @Nitz

If you have not yet got the answer you need - or a sample inspection shot - or a rental, etc let us know. We of course sell them, but also consider rentals and would likely be able to go get some sample shots around power lines. We have done a decent amount of power line work and this would be pretty easy for us to help you with.

Hello @Nitz

If you have not yet got the answer you need - or a sample inspection shot - or a rental, etc let us know. We of course sell them, but also consider rentals and would likely be able to go get some sample shots around power lines. We have done a decent amount of power line work and this would be pretty easy for us to help you with.

In your opinion then, would the M2E Dual work for his original question? From what I've seen it definitely could if he is able to fly close enough (5-10m).

In your opinion then, would the M2E Dual work for his original question? From what I've seen it definitely could if he is able to fly close enough (5-10m).
Maybe...but keep I mind that this (as pointed out earlier) is a very small thermal sensor - 160px x 120px. A small sensor paired with a narrow field of view helps - but as you mentioned, flying close is going to be the only way to get any significant detail. The OP did mention that they are just initially looking for anomalies on the lines or equipment and if one is found then they would send in better gear.

We have always used 640x512 XT cameras on power lines but the images were being analyzed later by someone who was not on scene with us.

I am trying to find a way to say yes, but really think we need to get out there and do some tests to confirm one way or another.

We have some public safety training going on this week and some mapping / survey training going on as well. I will make sure we find a way to look at some power line equipment with both a regular XT or XT2 and also an Enterprise Dual so we can compare specific items shots from equal distances. Or, if the field of view is substantially different, we will note how much closer or further away each camera is from the target and their distance or height relationship to each other.

Maybe...but keep I mind that this (as pointed out earlier) is a very small thermal sensor - 160px x 120px. A small sensor paired with a narrow field of view helps - but as you mentioned, flying close is going to be the only way to get any significant detail. The OP did mention that they are just initially looking for anomalies on the lines or equipment and if one is found then they would send in better gear.

We have always used 640x512 XT cameras on power lines but the images were being analyzed later by someone who was not on scene with us.

I am trying to find a way to say yes, but really think we need to get out there and do some tests to confirm one way or another.

We have some public safety training going on this week and some mapping / survey training going on as well. I will make sure we find a way to look at some power line equipment with both a regular XT or XT2 and also an Enterprise Dual so we can compare specific items shots from equal distances. Or, if the field of view is substantially different, we will note how much closer or further away each camera is from the target and their distance or height relationship to each other.

I found a couple other use cases talking to other business units, so I am going to purchase the M2ED. We will eventually grow into the XT/XT2/Z30 but right now the smaller units are enough where I can demonstrate the ROI and non-tangible benefits to management while working with field staff to show this is a 'tool' to help them not a job killer.

If I could write a book on all the things NOT to do when starting a program - I think I did everything you shouldn't do except give up :)

Thats great. The little units are definitely handy and quick to deploy. We would love to follow some of your use and successes / challenges as you put them to use in utility environments.

Also, if you are interested, we would love to send you the quote or be in consideration for where you make your purchase. We of course keep these and most all DJI items in stock.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM