Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Mavic 2 Pro or Skydio for Real Estate work?

NCKen

Reaction score
I was just about to buy at Mavic 2 Pro with accessories when the Skydio 2 came out. Would the Skydio be a better choice for real estate work?

I am considering a Skydio 2 because I work in the Mountains of Western North Carolina and many of the homes have lots of trees close to the home. Since the Skydio has such an awesome obstacle avoidance system, does that make it a better choice for real estate photography? Or would it be better to have the better camera that the Mavic 2 Pro offers... Thoughts!

Reactions: Mike Flys
I have flown the skydio but only for a very short time. But from what I can tell it is very easy to fly. the obstical avoidance system on it is pretty awesome. They really did a good job with the obstical avoidance system and it seen to protect it well 360. I sae it go in between trees and branches and around buildings with no issues...

I also played with the follow me mode which is WAY better than DJI.

I would like to have some more flight tests with it before I make a final decision and put some hours on it to make sure there are no major bugs. Also I believe it does not have locked airspace which may be a bonus.

It uses a parrot controller which does not have a HdMI out if that is something you need.

But it is a very cool platform and well thought out. hopefully it will be a viable option...

From everything I've read & viewed the Skydio2 would be a nice fit for the Realty work.
I haven't personally seen the software or the features within software other than YouTube reviews.

The M2P probably has the camera edge on the decision but I'm not sure that would be a big difference for Realty.

The M2P has been available and it's a proven quality craft with many positives.
The Skydio2 until it's released isn't really a known product for all to evaluate.

That said, I've enjoyed the M2P / Z, it's been a great reliable performer. Plus, my order on the Skydio2 was placed a few weeks back and I'm on the list...I think it's March for my estimated timeframe for delivery... it's a first come first served on the list.
So if you're wanting a Skydio2... even if not sure in the decision, I'd get on the list. You can always cancel or return later.

There's always a reason to "wait for the next one...", I normally wait for various real-life evaluations but I didn't feel the Skydio2 was a major risk. Although on the humorous side... I recall reading somewhere, in some news blimp... that DJI was close to releasing an 360 optical avoidance platform too.... I think it was associated to a new Phantom style platform.. no facts, but rumors.

I currently use a Phantom 4 Pro V2 for my real estate work. I am also in the first round (I believe) for a Skydio 2 so I'm hopeful to get it at the end of the month and plan to give it some good testing weather permitting. I think it'll be hard to compete with the phantom in terms of raw photo and video quality, but that remains to be seen. With that in mind, all the real estate stuff I deliver is used for small paper flyers, and mls listings. No larger prints yet so I doubt the sensor size will make a real life difference between the two. I live on the Oregon coast and have a lot of houses surrounded by trees also. The phantom is stable and I don't worry to much about it, but there's been a few times where having a little more confidence in something like the Skydio would have yielded better shots.

I know that doesn't answer your question directly, but I'd lean towards the Skydio 2 over a Mavic. If you're doing more commercial and high end work, I think the sensor size will become a larger factor in overall image quality, but for typical real estate stuff and some higher end homes, I doubt there will be much of a noticeable if any difference.

The other guys have great points though and it's still not nearly as proven as the Mavics though, and if you haven't pre-ordered, you'll be waiting several months before getting one unless you were to buy a used one from someone who didn't like it. If time is more important, you wouldn't go wrong with the Mavic 2 Pro either though.

Welcome to the FORUM!!

First off I've NOT flown the Skydio so I can't say much for or against it.

I work and fly "in the mountains of WNC" almost daily and I can tell you without a doubt "obstacle avoidance" isn't you're friend. Sometimes we have to fly in tight areas to get "just the right shot" and OA sensors really slow us down and prevent us from doing what we need to do. I usually fly with all the bells & whistles turned off in order to get the job done and done efficiently.

Obstacle Avoidance is great if you're not on your A-Game to keep you from running into objects but they honestly just slow us down.

We use our Mavic Pro Platinum (yes it's getting old) for the bulk of our Real Estate work and it does an amazing job. Newer versions of this platform would only be a PLUS.

Welcome to the FORUM!!

I work and fly "in the mountains of WNC" almost daily and I can tell you without a doubt "obstacle avoidance" isn't you're friend. Sometimes we have to fly in tight areas to get "just the right shot" and OA sensors really slow us down and prevent us from doing what we need to do. I usually fly with all the bells & whistles turned off in order to get the job done and done efficiently.

Obstacle Avoidance is great if you're not on your A-Game to keep you from running into objects but they honestly just slow us down.

We use our Mavic Pro Platinum (yes it's getting old) for the bulk of our Real Estate work and it does an amazing job. Newer versions of this platform would only be a PLUS.
I agree with you OA sensor Is for rookies AND some especial ocations.
Mines áre almost always off

Welcome to the FORUM!!

I've not used OA, when I've forgotten to turn off, I find it a bit of a bother. Even a simple head-in landing, if standing too close to the LZ, it just hovers & beeps. Flying Yuneec or DJI, it's not been a desired feature. When flying around trees, I'm fully aware of the twigs & limbs and don't want to be forced to fly a large arch vs a small zig-zag to drop or climb through trees.

All that said, I'm very curious of the Skydio2 and it's performance and optical OA logic. It sounds like a huge improvement, with a much tighter spatial dimension around the craft. That may introduce OA in a practical useable manor when in a position it'd be helpful. It may allow more attention to the camera controls if you were very confident the craft could fly where you wanted it to travel. There are many features on the Skidio2 I'm looking forward to examining... all the tracking controls and mag batteries is another, the amount of shielding required makes that an interesting feature too.

Just as a discussion point... Regarding the various tracking autonomous controls... place it on yourself, select a mode to capture your activity and let it rip while you ski or pedal your tail down a trail. Doesn't that conflict with the FAA rules of visual & physical control of craft? If you're ducking limbs on a rocky steep trail, you're certainly not keeping an eye on the air craft for extended periods and have no way of taking manual control quickly.

Humorously, with the launch of the Mavic Mini. The biggest complaint I've heard has been the lack of OA, and 2nd are all the popular autonomous features missing.... Hmmm, and this is stated as a "Beginners" drone. I'm looking forward to playing with the Mini, similar to the Inspire 1 it sounds more like a bare bones craft which in my opinion is great. But then again, I insisted my kids learn a "manual shift" vehicle, it teaches more driving skills, better Winter skills and more aware of the dynamics involved.... LOL, and kept their friends from driving my kid's car.

I think a lot of the answer to the OP's question will come down to the quality of the person doing the video post processing.

One thing that totally ruins any clip is a sudden change in direction or speed - it immediately attracts the eye and distracts from the video subject. OA (and P-Mode) both need to be turned off for complete control of the shot.

I know very little about Skydio other than what has been shown in YouTube videos, but trying to process video that is full of sudden jerks as the RPA stops, changes direction, works out a new route, etc would be a rather nightmare scenario in my view. It seems to be designed more for autonomous flying than hand-controlled flying (the RC appears as an afterthought in all the promo material).

I'd say it was better to go with the heavier M2P with the spectacular camera it carries and be in full control of the filming.

JMTCW.

Reactions: Imingui
I think a lot of the answer to the OP's question will come down to the quality of the person doing the video post processing.

One thing that totally ruins any clip is a sudden change in direction or speed - it immediately attracts the eye and distracts from the video subject. OA (and P-Mode) both need to be turned off for complete control of the shot.

I know very little about Skydio other than what has been shown in YouTube videos, but trying to process video that is full of sudden jerks as the RPA stops, changes direction, works out a new route, etc would be a rather nightmare scenario in my view. It seems to be designed more for autonomous flying than hand-controlled flying (the RC appears as an afterthought in all the promo material).

I'd say it was better to go with the heavier M2P with the spectacular camera it carries and be in full control of the filming.

JMTCW.
I agree if it's jerky, pausing or sudden changes. But from what I've understood that is the difference in their OA & 360 optics that provide the OA compared to normal OA.

There was a good example on DroneU showing how going from outdoors to inside with rafters, outside with trees, roof lines, etc... basically they indicate the OA is more smooth than manual through difficult areas. It's goal is to provide smooth flow, and various options to increase or decrease the matrix.

Although, zero experience personally... so just parroting what I've heard & read.

I have the Mavic pro, and watching the Skydio video I wish I had bought it instead. If you are new to drones and you are going to operating in areas with a lot of trees, I think the Skydio would be a wise choice. The one thing is the camera is only 12 mp, but if that resolution is good enough for you then I think it would be a better fit.
It is also built in the US and the warranty is very good. I would love to test fly one.

I placed my order for one and it is a great tool for videography. Minimizing the risk of losing or crashing your drone will save you in the long run. I´ve seen many Mavics crashing to the ground and it is a terrible feeling to see your $1.5K investment goes to the trash. For real estate, 12megapixel will work because most of your photos will be uploaded on websites and why not support an American company!

I placed my order for one and it is a great tool for videography. Minimizing the risk of losing or crashing your drone will save you in the long run. I´ve seen many Mavics crashing to the ground and it is a terrible feeling to see your $1.5K investment goes to the trash. For real estate, 12megapixel will work because most of your photos will be uploaded on websites and why not support an American company!

Mavic's don't normally "crash to the ground" operatiors crash them. They crash due to inexperience, carelessness, or just plain stupidity. I have had the Phantom 4, the Mavic Pro, and fly the Inspire 2 a few hours every week. I have never crashed any of them.

Reactions: Ajkm
Mavic's don't normally "crash to the ground" operatiors crash them. They crash due to inexperience, carelessness, or just plain stupidity. I have had the Phantom 4, the Mavic Pro, and fly the Inspire 2 a few hours every week. I have never crashed any of them.

Ask the ones on YouTube who are trying to copy some of the best extreme cinematographers. You have to turn off the sensors for a straight shot. SkyDio 2 you can keep the sensors on and minimize risk.

Ask the ones on YouTube who are trying to copy some of the best extreme cinematographers. You have to turn off the sensors for a straight shot. SkyDio 2 you can keep the sensors on and minimize risk.
And you won't get the video shot you're going for either - the OA will keep changing the direction of flight.

It seems to be designed more for autonomous flying than hand-controlled flying (the RC appears as an afterthought in all the promo material).

And you won't get the video shot you're going for either - the OA will keep changing the direction of flight.
Reading more on the SkyDio2, you're correct in that it's design focus and niche is the autonomous selfie type of flights. Not my primary focus, although this has become a very popular type of video work for various sports as example; and able to control the placement of the Skydio2 around your circumference with their small joystick controller. All their examples are focused around autonomous selfie videos on bike, skateboard, etc. The other examples I've viewed have been various forms of pan out shots close to ground objects and again involving a form of selfie action.

The RC controller is probably the only negative, it's a massaged Anafi controller... and that wasn't one of Parrot's highlights. The tablet holder and the power switch are cumbersome. The RC isn't intended as the primary flight control mode.

I'm looking forward to seeing the OA function, it sounds like it far exceeds what we accept as OA and may place new OA expectations on competition, I view it as an Intelligent, almost AI OA. To use as an autonomous craft around a structure will easily outperform the competition's autonomous programs.

To use in place of an experienced manual mission, I don't see this as it's strong point at all.
If it can apply AI and fly the same route as a manual flight with similar results... that would be impressive!

Great to see a USA company introducing a new design, new technology and I do hope it launches more intelligent designs. About 10 years ago, the Tesla self driving concept was sci-fi and now it's performing. I'm not on board with self-driving either, and that's 2 dimensional, duplicate that level of intelligence in 3 dimensional and you've got some complexities. Evidently with all the BVLOS, that is becoming a reality too.

The SkyDio2 will be awesome technology, looking forward to flying but my M2P, I2, and other less OA capable platforms still have a good home.

I'm looking at the Autel Evo2 6k ... watched a few youtube videos and it seems like a solid machine, better battery design and a lot less nanny app.

I'm looking at the Autel Evo2 6k ... watched a few youtube videos and it seems like a solid machine, better battery design and a lot less nanny app.

It's important to have backups for any platform and our backup is not a DJI for that very reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM