Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Mavic 3 Enterprise Beacon

SkyTec

Reaction score
Website
skytecaerial.net
Hello fellow pilots. I'm new to this forum coming to you from the Houston area. I've decided to expand my small business to include mapping. I would welcome any suggestions or tips as I expand my services.I just purchased the M3E and have a question regarding the beacon light. Does the beacon meet FAA requirements of 3 statue miles of visibility or will I still have to mount my light for any night operations? Thank you all!

Hello fellow pilots. I'm new to this forum coming to you from the Houston area. I've decided to expand my small business to include mapping. I would welcome any suggestions or tips as I expand my services.I just purchased the M3E and have a question regarding the beacon light. Does the beacon meet FAA requirements of 3 statue miles of visibility or will I still have to mount my light for any night operations? Thank you all!
Great question. I don't think I have found anywhere in my M3T manual what the specs are on that top beacon. I fly with second Firehouse one on top. That one is complaint. May be overkill, but want to make sure it is visible to other aircraft in immediate area

Reactions: SkyTec
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Although I can not find anything directly in the manual or from the DJI website here is what I can deduce.

At 10.000 lumens, this is the most powerful auto-moving drone light for all versions of DJI Mavic 3 and Mavic 2. The light is equipped with our patented auto-moving technology and is designed to follow your camera automatically, for optimal lighting.

10000 lumens can be seen as far as 1640 feet (500 meters),

So, the answer is no. The beacon is not bright enough to be used as a stand-alone strobe for night flying.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Although I can not find anything directly in the manual or from the DJI website here is what I can deduce.

At 10.000 lumens, this is the most powerful auto-moving drone light for all versions of DJI Mavic 3 and Mavic 2. The light is equipped with our patented auto-moving technology and is designed to follow your camera automatically, for optimal lighting.

10000 lumens can be seen as far as 1640 feet (500 meters),

So, the answer is no. The beacon is not bright enough to be used as a stand-alone strobe for night flying.
Great information. Thank you GFields.

Reactions: GFields
Are you sure that is in reference to the beacon on the M3E ? That beacon does not move and is not meant for providing light for imagery capture which is what I would assume "auto moving" means. But with chinglish, who knows!

Does the beacon meet FAA requirements of 3 statue miles of visibility
I just wanted to point out that the FAA does not / has not "approved" any lights to meet their requirement. If a products says "it meets the requirement" that just means that they went out and tested it to see if it was visible at 3 statute miles. The FAA did not "approve" it. ;)

So, in regard to the M3E's beacon. Find yourself a suitable location, and test it. If you can see the beacon at 3 statute miles in complete darkness, then it meets the requirement. Easy. No FAA "approval" needed or possibilty to get. :)

Reactions: dmathis and SkyTec
***Update***

After many email exchanges and through many levels of support, here it the final answer I received
Hope you are doing well, thank you for getting back to me and providing the important parameters, upon confirming, 1 mile ≈ 1.6km, which is satisfied according to the parameters.
I read this to mean that it can be seen for a mile, not three. If you read it differently, let me know

***Update***

After many email exchanges and through many levels of support, here it the final answer I received
Hope you are doing well, thank you for getting back to me and providing the important parameters, upon confirming, 1 mile ≈ 1.6km, which is satisfied according to the parameters.
I read this to mean that it can be seen for a mile, not three. If you read it differently, let me know
Gfields,
Thanks for your time and effort to get this information. Yes, I read that the same way and sounds like I'll still need my
***Update***

Gfields,
Thanks for your time and effort to get this information. Yes, I would read this the same way...only 1 mile. Looks like I'll still need to mount my LumeCube for night flights.

Reactions: GFields

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM