Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

"Maximum Flight Range" - now we know what it means...

Ajkm

Reaction score
Here's an interesting statement from the M300 RTK information from DJI:

"Maximum flight range specification is a proxy for radio link strength and resilience. Always fly your drone within visual line of sight unless otherwise permitted."

I presume this would be their intended understanding of the same specification across the range of products.

"Maximum flight range specification is a proxy for radio link strength and resilience.
That's just a clunky way of saying that actual range will depend on local interference levels.

Not sure I agree - the "specification" is a "proxy" implies, legally, that the term "maximum flight range" is not in fact intended to describe the maximum flight range available but is, instead, intended to express the theoretical "radio link strength and resilience." With that definition specifically provided by the manufacturer, it will be very hard indeed to argue in court or at a tribunal that the RPA is intended and designed for a 15 mile BVLOS flight (in the absence of specific aeronautical authorisation for a BVLOS flight). It does seem that the legal department has spoken to the marketing department.

Not sure I agree - the "specification" is a "proxy" implies, legally, that the term "maximum flight range" is not in fact intended to describe the maximum flight range available but is, instead, intended to express the theoretical "radio link strength and resilience." With that definition specifically provided by the manufacturer, it will be very hard indeed to argue in court or at a tribunal that the RPA is intended and designed for a 15 mile BVLOS flight (in the absence of specific aeronautical authorisation for a BVLOS flight). It does seem that the legal department has spoken to the marketing department.
They say in the specs for the controller:
  • Max Transmitting Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
  • NCC/FCC: 15 km
    CE/MIC: 8 km
    SRRC: 8 km
There are always complaints that people cannot achieve the max range shown in specs (usually because they aren't flying in an interference-free environment).
They are trying to explain that but in a pretty clunk way.
The actual strength and resilience of your control signal may vary due to interference.
This will have an effect on the max range you achieve in your flying environment.

I'm a amateur radio license holder so I goof around with radios somewhat. About every manufacturer wants to slap some range in miles on a radio. That's not how it works and it's about the worst way to quantify a radios strength.

Worst offenders are companies that sell handheld units, walkie talkie type radios, either those not requiring a license or GMRS. The consumer doesn't know crap about radio so they try to impress them with a number. Plus it's a number hard to dispute because under perfect conditions it's true, but nobody ever has perfect conditions.

Range depends on line of sight, interference, signal power, propagation characteristics at the given frequency, so many variables.

I'm with Fred. Marketing wants an impressive sounding range number to throw around. Uneducated customers think "Oh I can fly it that far away, the package says so."

Sounds like the legal team had a meeting with the marketing team.

The problem is that the mobile radio environment does not lend itself to accurate predictions.
Any range given can only mean "up Too" and it can always be considerable less.
The ignorance of customers, that have not the faintest knowledge of the subject matter, with regard to mobile radio communications is the real distraction.

...I'm with Fred. Marketing wants an impressive sounding range number to throw around. Uneducated customers think "Oh I can fly it that far away, the package says so."...

Right...the materials saying the range of the aircraft is “8 to 10 miles” or whatever they’re claiming....but the conflict being you have to keep it within sight unaided....and nobody can see it 8 miles away*...so why market it that way? Trying to encourage people to fly illegally? Why build it and market it with the capability to do this?

So, to avoid being seen as encouraging this activity, they just changed the wording and specified that this range is “radio range“ or transmission possibility.....and not the range of the aircraft....and you should always keep the aircraft in sight....blah, blah, blah.....

* And yes, okay, you’re on a tall hill, the aircraft has a bright strobe and you have incredible vision and can see it miles away. Fine.

I’ve always looked at those maximum flight range statistics the same way I look at top speed stats on cars. Sure, it‘s capable of going 207mph, but that doesn’t mean you can do that whenever or wherever you want.

Reactions: R Martin
Sadly too many noobs view the "maximum range" number as a challenge. How many "let's see how far I can fly" videos have we all seen. DJI is simply doing CYA here. "Sure, you can fly it 5 miles aways, but gee, we're not saying that's ok, just that you can". Wink-Wink-Nudge-Nudge-Know what I mean.

Reactions: Fred Garvin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN