Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

McDonald Creek Bridge Project

Christopher Enges

Reaction score
Website
spiritvisionfilms.com
Although I have many different jobs I've flown, most are a combination of both ground-based and aerial videography.
But this project, which is being done for the Clallam County road department to document the rebuilding of the McDonald Creek bridge on the Old Olympic highway between Sequim and Port Angeles, shut down the highway for about 8 months and is totally aerial on my part, with a little Gopro and DSLR thrown in. My job is to fly it about every two weeks to document the progress and then put together a 5-7 minute showing the entire project from beginning to end. Although it wasn't stated in the contract, I have made two progress videos that have been shown on local government websites that have shown how far they are along. I find that giving your clients more than they asked for, only works to your benefit in the long run. I am currently creating a third one next week after they pour the deck on the bridge. The contractor is about 1 month ahead of schedule. Here is one of the progress videos:

Good video

If we can ever see the whole version, I'd like to see it.

Thank you

I've worked with heavy machinery. It's fun to push structures, although carefully, they fall on you fast :rolleyes:

Nice work. How long were you there to capture the pour?
It was supposed to be a 4 to 41/2 hour pour. Ended up closer to 7 hours. I setup my Gopro before they got started and captured the pour in time lapse. I ended going back and forth to my house about 5 miles away to recharge my three batteries, two different times. (I need more batteries!) I got there the first time at 7:30, which is sunrise up here and I finally pulled down my Gopro around 2:30pm. I flew nine times in that space of time. Probably more than I needed. I tend to leave a lot of film on the floor. I will eventually make one 5-7 minute video highlighting the whole project in April.

It was supposed to be a 4 to 41/2 hour pour. Ended up closer to 7 hours. I setup my Gopro before they got started and captured the pour in time lapse. I ended going back and forth to my house about 5 miles away to recharge my three batteries, two different times. (I need more batteries!) I got there the first time at 7:30, which is sunrise up here and I finally pulled down my Gopro around 2:30pm. I flew nine times in that space of time. Probably more than I needed. I tend to leave a lot of film on the floor. I will eventually make one 5-7 minute video highlighting the whole project in April.

Christopher,

Keep us updated on the final film. I'd like to see that.

It's always nice to have more footage than you need, you can always delete it. I always get way more than I need also.

Having more batteries is a good idea. If only they didn't cost a small fortune.

Reactions: Christopher Enges

We never have enough batteries:(

Here is the final McDonald Creek Bridge Replacement video. After a late winter storm slowed the curing of the newly poured bridge deck and two, two week rain delays, the project was completed on May 1st, 2018, almost 10 months after it started on July 10th, 2017. If you haven't seen a bridge built, this video will show you the progression of the various large equipment necessary in this endeavor. Let me know what you think ok? Thank you!

Here is the final McDonald Creek Bridge Replacement video. After a late winter storm slowed the curing of the newly poured bridge deck and two, two week rain delays, the project was completed on May 1st, 2018, almost 10 months after it started on July 10th, 2017. If you haven't seen a bridge built, this video will show you the progression of the various large equipment necessary in this endeavor. Let me know what you think ok? Thank you!
Really great job! Your Client must be thrilled with the video and narration!

Good job :)

Really great job! Your Client must be thrilled with the video and narration!
Thank you for the kind words! They were indeed pleased with the outcome of the project. I dropped off a flash drive with a 1080 and 720p mp4 version on it to the county engineer yesterday, completing my contract with them. I have worked with the county on several projects and have become their go to videographer/drone pilot when needed. The same could be said of the City of Port Angeles, who I have done several projects with.
I have found that working for government and tribal agencies here on the North Olympic Peninsula as being a very good source of income if you deliver a quality product, with a fair price.

What software package are you using for editing and finishing your videos?
I use the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, with Premiere Pro as my editing software and Photoshop as my photograph and graphics creator. I went back to school when I retired from Clallam County in 2012 (yes, it is helpful to know most of the people I now fly for ….. lobbyist anyone haha!) I got a degree in multimedia communications at Peninsula College and graduated in 2014, when I started my business with help from the VA. I took three courses in videography, two in Photoshop, along with various art classes, etc. to fulfill my degree. They used Adobe exclusively in college, so I continue to use what I am now used to. I would recommend that anyone that wants to make great videos, is to take a night class on whatever video editing software that you are comfortable with. Being a great drone pilot is only the first step in being a great film maker. Having the editing skills to use the footage you shoot is essential in moving your business forward. At least that is my experience.

Reactions: Jim H
I use the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, with Premiere Pro as my editing software and Photoshop as my photograph and graphics creator. I went back to school when I retired from Clallam County in 2012 (yes, it is helpful to know most of the people I now fly for ….. lobbyist anyone haha!) I got a degree in multimedia communications at Peninsula College and graduated in 2014, when I started my business with help from the VA. I took three courses in videography, two in Photoshop, along with various art classes, etc. to fulfill my degree. They used Adobe exclusively in college, so I continue to use what I am now used to. I would recommend that anyone that wants to make great videos, is to take a night class on whatever video editing software that you are comfortable with. Being a great drone pilot is only the first step in being a great film maker. Having the editing skills to use the footage you shoot is essential in moving your business forward. At least that is my experience.

Great job, and some of the best advice I have read on the subject.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM