Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Midlife crisis…

Netling

Reaction score
Hi @All,

Charlie here and I’ve been in tech for over 20 years now and just not seeing myself staying here but with my knowledge, insights, etc. I’m heavily considering starting a drone business for myself. Partly for the opportunity and freedom it provides.

I’m NOT looking to being the cheapest guy, quite the opposite but I’m also not looking at buying a $15K+ drone to start. Thus I’ve bought a Mavic 2 Zoom (used but new), got Refresh and fly more, with one more extra battery.

I’ve been practicing flying and got my trust/rec/part 64 and studying for my 107/remote operator license in the next two weeks. Oh course registered with the FAA.

I’m located in Colorado and willing to travel.

I’m going to start a thread on recommendation for insurance, equipment, drone software, post software, etc.

Eager to meet all of you, especially anyone from NZ/AU that needs help. ;-)

Hi @All,

Charlie here and I’ve been in tech for over 20 years now and just not seeing myself staying here but with my knowledge, insights, etc. I’m heavily considering starting a drone business for myself. Partly for the opportunity and freedom it provides.

I’m NOT looking to being the cheapest guy, quite the opposite but I’m also not looking at buying a $15K+ drone to start. Thus I’ve bought a Mavic 2 Zoom (used but new), got Refresh and fly more, with one more extra battery.

I’ve been practicing flying and got my trust/rec/part 64 and studying for my 107/remote operator license in the next two weeks. Oh course registered with the FAA.

I’m located in Colorado and willing to travel.

I’m going to start a thread on recommendation for insurance, equipment, drone software, post software, etc.

Eager to meet all of you, especially anyone from NZ/AU that needs help. ;-)

I'm on the same page, going all in but with some sensible buying.

I've bought a spraying drone for my farm, so the drones/training/tools are all tax deductible and the surrounding neighbors are all potential customers. I bought the last runout model Agras T20, and a second hand but unused P4 RTK kit to go with it. All 10's of thousands of dollars cheaper than new retail price.

I'm doing my courses in AU right now, similar with different names I guess. They're just about to come out with some "beyond line of sight" courses here I'm told, which I imagine would unlock some new career opportunities so I'll be ready for that one as well. I won't just stick with farming if there's other interesting lines of work out there.

I'll be looking at adding some contracting to my farm insurance and setting up a water cartage trailer with generator etc. I'm sure you'll find plenty of bits and pieces to spend money on, seems easy enough to do.

What's your connection with AU/NZ?

Reactions: Netling
Spent some time there and almost rung me a sheepish Sheila from NZ….

Yeah, starting smart and affordable is the way to go about this, if something goes sideways it’s not the same as loosing newly purchased equipment. I was able to get the DJI insurance on mine, so that was a pleasant surprise, so I have two fly aways just in case.

I haven’t looked into the AG aspects of droning, my focus is on mapping, photography (I’m near four world class ski resorts), inspection. I’m luck I have connections at some mines and real estate so that will get me started. Connections are the best way to start as many businesses/farms don’t even even realize the potential, all they know is they do stuff with those expensive drones, once we show them the benefits, cost savings and ease of deployment it will take off from there.

Reactions: Captainrisky
Spent some time there and almost rung me a sheepish Sheila from NZ….

Yeah, starting smart and affordable is the way to go about this, if something goes sideways it’s not the same as loosing newly purchased equipment. I was able to get the DJI insurance on mine, so that was a pleasant surprise, so I have two fly aways just in case.

I haven’t looked into the AG aspects of droning, my focus is on mapping, photography (I’m near four world class ski resorts), inspection. I’m luck I have connections at some mines and real estate so that will get me started. Connections are the best way to start as many businesses/farms don’t even even realize the potential, all they know is they do stuff with those expensive drones, once we show them the benefits, cost savings and ease of deployment it will take off from there.

Looks like you dodged TWO bullets then!

Best get in while your luck's holding...

Reactions: Netling

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM