Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Military Public and National Safety

0750cdp

Reaction score
I've just enrolled in this new CDP forum. I successfully completed the online test for FAA Drone Pilot Certification. Already have more than 10 successful hours in the air with the Phantom 3 Advance as a hobbyist. Although 2 knee surgeries have slowed this effort down for about 6 months. Am doing final study for the FAA written test and have located my nearest FAA testing facility. As a Staff Officer of my unit, my top interest is in public and national marine safety. I have long been a member of the uniformed volunteer unit supporting the military organization which provides national coastal and public safety education, support, surveillance, and recovery operations. About a year ago our national military organization suddenly issued a "cease and desist" order preventing any active duty or volunteer affiliated member from "touching, flying, or even researching" a drone on military property or a military connected mission. Still puzzled as to exactly why this came about. However, I've continued to prepare myself personally to be knowledgeable about drones and drone piloting. With 14 years in, I already know many of the ways drones must eventually assist in expanding manpower and effectiveness in the vital citizen and national safety work we do. I live on Florida's magnificent Emerald Coast.

Reactions: rvrrat14
Hello and welcome to the forum. Quite a few of us in Florida it seems; I am in Oviedo, there are a few of us here in Central Florida that are trying to reach out to local law enforcement and Fire/rescue. I think your referring to this past summer when all branches were ordered to cease use of all DJI products. Here is a link to read By the way, good luck on your 107.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Quite a few of us in Florida it seems; I am in Oviedo, there are a few of us here in Central Florida that are trying to reach out to local law enforcement and Fire/rescue. I think your referring to this past summer when all branches were ordered to cease use of all DJI products. Here is a link to read By the way, good luck on your 107.
Hi Pat,
No. This was all Coast Guard active duty and civilian uniformed volunteer units. Everyone. All Drones. Not limited to any one Drone or manufacturer. All other service branches seem to be forging ahead with small Drones. Not sure, they never gave a reason, but I suspect it was panic by some highly placed officers who wondered whether small Drones might be used to attack government facilities. In the business management world I lived in for 44 working years...you never "throw the baby out with the bath water." You solve the problem of a possible attack and put new technology to much needed use.

Hey sorry about the knee man, I have had 2 knee surgeries as well. Can feel your pain....

From what I understand US military soldiers where operating DJI products. DJI is a Chinese company, and I think there was concern that the Chinese Govt. could hack the DJI network and that they would have access to flight data on the US soldiers drones to determine critical mission sensitive information.

Makes sense to me, just what I remember reading on the topic.

That is what I thought as well, what I read was specifically pointed at DJI products, which some folks think all drones are. They are close to the Q-tip brand for the masses
Never remember hearing about a blanket drone ban.

On another subject. As I do the final study for my FAA personal exam, I am still puzzled about one phase of the study material. There is significant study concerning Sector Charts for manned aircraft. In several instances, the study material asks a question about some icon, marked place, or other specific location issue. On several I have searched and searched the Sector Chart without being able to find the marking or information asked about.
Has anyone else found this problem and its solution?

On another subject. As I do the final study for my FAA personal exam, I am still puzzled about one phase of the study material. There is significant study concerning Sector Charts for manned aircraft. In several instances, the study material asks a question about some icon, marked place, or other specific location issue. On several I have searched and searched the Sector Chart without being able to find the marking or information asked about.
Give us what icon or marked place they are asking and the sectional chart they are referring to?

Yes, I have had some trouble too, but eventually I found what I was looking for. The printed designations aren't always with the icon, sometimes they are some distance away with a dashed line leading to it.

Thank you for your volunteer service. My father was a CGA Vice Commander of his flotilla in Long Beach, CA. He put in a lot of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM