Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Mission in red Restricted zone

manutter51

Reaction score
Did I just bite off more than I can chew? I just accepted a DroneBase mission to do a commercial roof inspection/thermography map with my DJI M2EA, but when I check the location on the DJI Fly Safe web site, it's right in the middle of a red Restricted zone. As a matter of fact, there's a freeway interchange to the SW of the mission point, and the runway is on the other side of the interchange, pointing generally towards where I'd be flying.

I'm still a relatively new commercial drone pilot (this will/would be my 5th mission flown), and I'm not sure (a) if I'm even allowed to fly a mission like this, and (b) if I should attempt it even if I do get the proper permissions/clearances/etc. What do you all think? Here's a screen shot showing the relative locations of the mission and the runway on the Fly Safe web site.

Attachments

• Mission in the Red zone.png
    Mission in the Red zone.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
That's in a ZERO zone. You're gonna have to do some work to get approval to fly there and it's not going to be quick or easy.

See the map below... those are ALL ZERO altitude boxes.
PA_Airspace.jpg

Reactions: Dave Pitman
Yeah, I was looking at that too, and small wonder, considering the runway is pointed almost straight at the mission location. Is this mission even doable?

You know what, no. I just wrote to DroneBase and asked to be removed from this mission. I'll take on red-zone missions some day, but at my current experience level I'm going to play it safe. Maybe my wife will go with me to some big open field where I can practice mapping missions and have her randomly shout "Incoming!" so I can practice interrupting the mission and taking proper evasive action.

Reactions: MikeA
DroneBase was very nice about removing me, and they also mentioned that they can get the authorizations for missions like that, but I still declined. Blue zones, ok; red zones, I'll wait until I have a good few more flight hours logged.

Good for you.

BUT.... As Al alluded to, you need to concern yourself with FAA airspace controls and THEN dji's geo. One is legal and the other is either a head's up or a nuicence depending. The reason I emphasize that is you came in concerned with dji's geo and not the 0' grid which is the REAL issue.
Good attitude though.👍

Oh, I definitely checked both, I just posted the DJI screen shot because it shows the relative location of the mission and the runway more clearly.

I'll believe that when I see it. Zero Grids are notoriously tough to get, and if they are directly under a Glide Slope, adjacent to the airport property....Good luck with that.
I was very surprised when I received an authorization to operate directly adjacent to the approach end of Whidbey Naval Air Station (Zero grid). When I applied, they actually contacted me by phone to discuss and then provided authorization. They required a phone in immediately prior to take off and for me to be available by phone in case they wanted to cancel during my op. To my surprise, they began landing aircraft while I was in the air and did not ask me to terminate.

Sometimes you'll be surprised what you can get if you ask.

I could probably get away with it--the airport only has a few shuttle flights a day and probably not too much private pilot traffic. Latrobe, PA, isn't a major commercial center, really. But for my 5th commercial drone mission? Nah, I'm going to err on the side of caution this time.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
The bigger worry is the battery failing mid flight. We had one the other day, and when I researched, a lot of people with phantom's are having them. I am getting a parachute so I don't bonk any little bunny fuu-fuus.

Uh, no, reality backs up my claim. I'm not saying its a lipo battery concern, but more a phantom 4 concern. I've done a lot of flights, in many areas in western US. Why do you say battery issues are nonsense when many people have encountered them? DJI batteries cost double aftermarket ones, and I'm not seeing a difference in terms of failures. Both fail. Its not gentle, the thing drops. I'm genuinely looking for best management practices on this so would like to hear why that is not a concern.

Uh, no, reality backs up my claim. I'm not saying its a lipo battery concern, but more a phantom 4 concern. I've done a lot of flights, in many areas in western US. Why do you say battery issues are nonsense when many people have encountered them? DJI batteries cost double aftermarket ones, and I'm not seeing a difference in terms of failures. Both fail. Its not gentle, the thing drops. I'm genuinely looking for best management practices on this so would like to hear why that is not a concern.

You said, "a lot of people with phantom's are having them" Can you cite your sources for these claims? Also what is "a lot"? Remember, if you're referring to FB and forums people usually only come to those looking for solutions to problems etc. If you see a reoccurrence of a problem several times in a short period of time it could indicate a genuine issue but a random problem now and then is not even remotely "a lot" on an online group/forum. You need to quantify such a bold remark.

I've got a P4 with hundreds of HOURS of flight time and many MILES of Flight and other than the occasional battery merely losing performance (which is expected, batteries are a consumable item) I have had no battery issues. Even with "marginal" batteries we don't see the aircraft "dropping from the sky" but reduced "punch" and reduced flight times" which in turn would lead us to remove a battery from Flight Duty (save it for bench testing, updates, and use as USB power bank) but that's just a Best Practice situation derived from paying attention to your batteries long-term and seeing a TREND in declining performance long before you push the battery to the Failure Point.

From a very fundamental standpoint DJI batteries are indeed "just lipo batteries" and if you don't treat them properly they will FAIL "just like lipo batteries" do. Unless you got a bad production set of batteries it's all about how you USE and how you CARE for your batteries. Even with the "Smart" aspect of the battery you can still do things to shorten their life and greatly reduce their performance while still operating "within the SMART allowance" of the battery.

You ask, "Why not a concern?". That's because on this forum and the Phantom Pilots forum we aren't seeing what you're reporting. While there are occasional battery failures they are almost always the fault of operator error when the facts are presented in detail. How you treat your batteries during storage, flight, charge, and all other times will have a significant effect on overall battery health and then of course battery life. Battery health is almost always a direct indication of Battery Care.

I'm not saying adding a Parachute to your P4 isn't a good and very cool idea I'm just saying I believe battery failure is a LOT less of a problem than you state it is. Of course any problem that affects you (or me or John Q. Public) directly is a BIG problem that's merely because of perception and not an actual massive problem in the big picture.

I'll believe that when I see it. Zero Grids are notoriously tough to get, and if they are directly under a Glide Slope, adjacent to the airport property....Good luck with that.
Dronebase has inside connections in the FAA and can get them. They’ve done it for me.

Reactions: manutter51
The bigger worry is the battery failing mid flight. We had one the other day, and when I researched, a lot of people with phantom's are having them. I am getting a parachute so I don't bonk any little bunny fuu-fuus.
Lol an FAA certified parachute it’s probably worth more than your drone.
As has been mentioned if you take care of your batteries properly it’s just not a concern.

Oh, I definitely checked both, I just posted the DJI screen shot because it shows the relative location of the mission and the runway more clearly.
More clearly than this?

B4YOUFLY offers satellite views, too. But it also details why there is a restriction. And unlike DJI Fly Safe, it's authoritative.

Screenshot 2022-03-26 091459.jpg

I could probably get away with it--the airport only has a few shuttle flights a day and probably not too much private pilot traffic. Latrobe, PA, isn't a major commercial center, really. But for my 5th commercial drone mission? Nah, I'm going to I th

I don’t think you should be that worried I’ve done several missions in 0 foot areas and never even had a close encounter. If you just keep a decent situational awareness you’ll be fine.
For one thing you’ll only get a 100 foot authorization and it’s rare for an aircraft to be anywhere near that altitude Where you would actually be flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM