Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Mounting other (wide angle) cameras on a Mini minimizing vibration?

vindibona1

Reaction score
I'm thinking about different ways I can market myself now that I have my Part 107. I have several contacts in real estate brokerage, and while it's a tough market, it would probably be one of the easier ones to break into, once i have my s88t together. My daughter just moved into a lovely new house this week and I tried flying my Mini through it to see what I could achieve on film. Unfortunately the lens on the Mini isn't wide enough to be of use and would need a wide angle attachement. While I know the obvious answer is to buy and Osmo pocket or some such thing. But I was thinking, if I mounted a wide angle camera on top of the Mini, how would I dampen the vibrations? Does anyone else do this?

if I mounted a wide angle camera on top of the Mini, how would I dampen the vibrations?
The Mini is barely able to keep itself in the air.
It's not a good candidate for load carrying.
If you really wanted to do a fly through, wouldn't it be better to just use a camera in a handheld gimbal and walk through?
In genera, real estate isn't a great market to try to break into.
RE agents are notoriously cheap and there's a big oversupply of hopefuls offering them drone services.
If you really wanted to get into that sector, it's probably best to offer a complete photography service, with the aerial being just a small part of that.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
The Mini is barely able to keep itself in the air.
It's not a good candidate for load carrying.
If you really wanted to do a fly through, wouldn't it be better to just use a camera in a handheld gimbal and walk through?
In genera, real estate isn't a great market to try to break into.
RE agents are notoriously cheap and there's a big oversupply of hopefuls offering them drone services.
If you really wanted to get into that sector, it's probably best to offer a complete photography service, with the aerial being just a small part of that.

I know about real estate agents. I've dealt with them in terms of promotional headshots, done few photo sessions of houses for sale. For sure I'd offer the whole package. I'm trying to figure out the handheld camera thing. I'm not sure if I want to do virtual tours with an Insta360 yet. That hasn't really hit our area. I looked into an Osmo Pocket, but the effective focal length is 24mm. I'd be better off with my 5D Mark III with my 17mm lens... but I'd need to buy a gimbal and I'm not sure that I want to invest in a Ronin yet. I understand there is a firmware hack for the 5D III to be able to shoot in 4k (Magic Lantern?) .

Yeah, real estate agents are notoriously cheap. In this area the commission a homeowner pays is 6%, which means $60k on a $1million home. Even if the agent has to split it with another agent, then the house, they take home $15k. They can be cheap bastards. The last home I photographed the agent and I agreed on a rate. I even agreed to be paid after the buyers closed on the house (which sold right away, btw). Then she argued with me about the rate we agreed on. I'll never work with that agent again. I do have a relationship with the manager of one of the offices in a nearby upscale neighborhood and some agents from his previous office. If I go that direction I won't be walking in cold as an unknown entity. However in the still photography market my specialties (in no particular order) are jewelry, mirrors and portraits.

@vindibona1 -
Sad to say but the days of a "handshake deal" or a "man’s word" have faded into oblivion. A written, signed contact is what is needed.

Yes, real estate agents can be cheap. But like most businesspeople they’re in the business to make money. Even though the 6% commission appears to be the “standard” rate it can be negotiated.

Most commissions are split 50%. The listing office gets 50% - the selling office gets 50%. Then the office splits the commission with the actual agent that does the transaction. Again, a common split is 50/50 between the office and agent. Some offices will modify the ratio depending on the number of transactions the agent does. Out of the 25% the agent receives from the original commission paid by the seller the agent most often has to pay for desk fees, advertisement expenses, yard signs, vehicle expenses, phone expenses, E&O insurance and MSL dues, which can run from a few hundred to a thousand or more. So out of a $4,000 commission the agent may receive $1,000 of it. Out of that $1,000 then they pay the above expenses so you can see why they try to save every nickel and dime when they can.

The Mini is one of the LAST UAS I'd try adding any type of payload what-so-ever. It's barely flight worthy w/o the additional weight. That's all before we talk/add stabilization to the small aircraft. It's just not the right tool for the job.

Reactions: Ajkm and Meta4
@vindibona1 -
Sad to say but the days of a "handshake deal" or a "man’s word" have faded into oblivion. A written, signed contact is what is needed.

Yes, real estate agents can be cheap. But like most businesspeople they’re in the business to make money. Even though the 6% commission appears to be the “standard” rate it can be negotiated.

Most commissions are split 50%. The listing office gets 50% - the selling office gets 50%. Then the office splits the commission with the actual agent that does the transaction. Again, a common split is 50/50 between the office and agent. Some offices will modify the ratio depending on the number of transactions the agent does. Out of the 25% the agent receives from the original commission paid by the seller the agent most often has to pay for desk fees, advertisement expenses, yard signs, vehicle expenses, phone expenses, E&O insurance and MSL dues, which can run from a few hundred to a thousand or more. So out of a $4,000 commission the agent may receive $1,000 of it. Out of that $1,000 then they pay the above expenses so you can see why they try to save every nickel and dime when they can.
I understand.I know exactly how it works. I think I mentioned that all above .. . But it's not as if the photographer/pilot doesn't have the similar expenses; Equipment, insurance, auto/truck internet, computers, editing software, office overhead, accounting fees taxes, etc. If you are in business you have the same expenses and if you work for someone they have the same expenses while buying you, the employees time wholesale and selling it at a retail rate. As far as realtors fees being "negotiated", it all depends on the area. It's not happening here except in exceptional circumstances, like if the agent is a close relative. My immediate family just had three real estate transactions and if the rate could have been negotiated, it would have been.

“I'm not sure if I want to do virtual tours with an Insta360 yet. That hasn't really hit our area.”

If you wait until it hits your area, you’ll be behind the curve and no more successful.

Other options would include the likes of a Zhiyun Smooth 4 + iPhone 11 or similar. A relatively inexpensive set up that is capable of producing excellent results.

I really don’t understand why one would try to fly a drone through a house - the air currents the props set up are going to make controlling it and achieving stable footage almost impossible except for the really experienced pilot.

If you wait until it hits your area, you’ll be behind the curve and no more successful.

BINGO! Get out in the front and become the PRO before someone else beats you to it. It's a very quick ROI if you can get the clients to use you. One of our quickest ROI since we started our business years ago.

I really don’t understand why one would try to fly a drone through a house - the air currents the props set up are going to make controlling it and achieving stable footage almost impossible except for the really experienced pilot.

We've flown inside many times and it's rarely turned out as expected. There are other products so much better suited for "Interior" flight 90% of the time. Also you'll be stirring up dust and debris that's been well "hidden" for a long time LOL.

Reactions: Ajkm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann