Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Multiple UAVs for Airspace Authorization

I have airspace authorizations using my Inspire. I have additional UAVs. Is the Authorization UAV specific or can we fly other UAVs on the same Authorization?
From what I understand the authorizations are not platform specific. If it is, it would say on your authorization.

Some of the operational waivers are platform specific. But again, they say it on the COA.

The application has the specific UAV and the authorization states the application is part of the authorization.

The authorization applications did use to ask for which UAS was to be used by their registration number, even then entering it was optional if memory serves me correctly.

However more recently when applying for authorizations through the newish FAA dronezone there is no question on the application about the UAS to be used. I have filled out like 14 authorization requests in the last couple weeks.

In all my applications I state I am using "electric VTOL multi rotors and fixed wing aircraft", to allow maximum flexibility. I am screwed if I convert to helos. Which the more I learn the more I am convinced that is what to get into for the bigger payloads.

Last edited:
Is this application being filed through one of the LAANC partnering apps which are setup for online approval?

The application has the specific UAV and the authorization states the application is part of the authorization.
I have the copies of my new applications before me and there is no reference to any specific UAS. The certificate is tied to the pilot; not a particular UAS. So multiples should not be an issue as long as you have authorization grant YOU access to the airspace.

But in the application, they request UAV info and the authorization says the application is part of the authorization.
Yes, the old form requested the information. A copy of the application for the CoA must be attached to the CoA for it to be valid (something that they never mentioned in the school I attended). But the authorization grants the pilot, not the aircraft, permission to use the airspace. You can (and should) confirm that for yourself through your local field office.

Yes, the old form requested the information. A copy of the application for the CoA must be attached to the CoA for it to be valid (something that they never mentioned in the school I attended). But the authorization grants the pilot, not the aircraft, permission to use the airspace. You can (and should) confirm that for yourself through your local field office.

Edward is this a LAANC authorization? The instant authorization

or

A Certificate of Waiver/Authorization? one you got emailed from applying on FAA.gov and after waiting 3+ months for it to be approved?

The authorization applications did use to ask for which UAS was to be used by their registration number, even then entering it was optional if memory serves me correctly.

However more recently when applying for authorizations through the newish FAA dronezone there is no question on the application about the UAS to be used. I have filled out like 14 authorization requests in the last couple weeks.

In all my applications I state I am using "electric VTOL multi rotors and fixed wing aircraft", to allow maximum flexibility. I am screwed if I convert to helos. Which the more I learn the more I am convinced that is what to get into for the bigger payloads.
How many of your requests were approved or denied?

How many of your requests were approved or denied?

I will answer your last question first, it's easier. I have had like 3-4 authorizations denied, several canceled/rolled into 1 authorization and like 20+ approved.

So looking deeper I see what you mean, the authoeizations do state, on page 1, under Standard Provisions: 1st section. "The application made for this certificate shall be attached and become a part hereof."

So lets start with I am not a lawyer, so none of what I am about to write can be construed as legal advice.

Without seeing your application I don't know exactly if this boxes you in or not. It sounds possible you may be screwed in a very strict interpretation.

If you stated in your application you are only going to use a certain model/registration number I think a strict view is yes, you can only use that.

There were fields on the old 107 Waiver Portal that asked for a UAS by registration number. Again I am like 90% certain it was an optional field. Plus the new dronezone authorization applications don't ask anymore.

I have not tried for an airspace waiver or operational waiver on the new dronezone so maybe they ask for a specific UAS on those.

Anyways point is, you did not have to restrict yourself to a particular UAS for a successful authorization, so the intention of the FAA (personal interptetation) is to allow for one authorization to cover multiple UAS types/registration #'s

If you are going to take a strict view then when/if you renew the authorizations I would start over and apply through the dronezone from scratch instead of renewing your existing one.

Again, if I saw your application I might have a more nuanced interpretation. I am not asking you too post it, but without seeing everything I am guessing a bit.

I will answer your last question first, it's easier. I have had like 3-4 authorizations denied, several canceled/rolled into 1 authorization and like 20+ approved.

So looking deeper I see what you mean, the authoeizations do state, on page 1, under Standard Provisions: 1st section. "The application made for this certificate shall be attached and become a part hereof."

So lets start with I am not a lawyer, so none of what I am about to write can be construed as legal advice.

Without seeing your application I don't know exactly if this boxes you in or not. It sounds possible you may be screwed in a very strict interpretation.

If you stated in your application you are only going to use a certain model/registration number I think a strict view is yes, you can only use that.

There were fields on the old 107 Waiver Portal that asked for a UAS by registration number. Again I am like 90% certain it was an optional field. Plus the new dronezone authorization applications don't ask anymore.

I have not tried for an airspace waiver or operational waiver on the new dronezone so maybe they ask for a specific UAS on those.

Anyways point is, you did not have to restrict yourself to a particular UAS for a successful authorization, so the intention of the FAA (personal interptetation) is to allow for one authorization to cover multiple UAS types/registration #'s

If you are going to take a strict view then when/if you renew the authorizations I would start over and apply through the dronezone from scratch instead of renewing your existing one.

Again, if I saw your application I might have a more nuanced interpretation. I am not asking you too post it, but without seeing everything I am guessing a bit.
I believe we are stuck with the guidelines of the original application. Those fields were not optional, as they asked for specific procedures that are usually uav specific. :( may apply for new authorizations for the same areas I already have with more broad application of different drones.

Also, the missions of the additional uavs are different. They dont even have cameras.

I believe we are stuck with the guidelines of the original application. Those fields were not optional, as they asked for specific procedures that are usually uav specific. :( may apply for new authorizations for the same areas I already have with more broad application of different drones.

Also, the missions of the additional uavs are different. They dont even have cameras.

Sorry to hear that man :(

Also I don't think you can always get a blanket authorization on all UAS models. There are likely situations where boxing yourself in to a certain model, operation type, payload etc could make or break an authorization. Like flying in a very sensitive airspace.

But I think in general if you aren't pushing boundaries and use the UAS Facility Maps as a guide you can get a feel for what altitudes are likely to be approved without a ton of extra hoops to jump through.

Maybe try to generalize more in your applications. Say you are doing data collection. that covers almost anything you can imagine.

Instead of using the name of a specific drone model always just say UAS, or UA, or sUAS, or aircraft

In my opinion, beyond being safe and following airspace rules, the FAA doesn't need an in depth look into your specific operations like how you collect data in specific terms or use certain aircraft.

That level of detail is more for operational waivers like BVLOS/EVLOS, flying over people/crowds, deliveries etc.

For what it's worth, in the first of the FAA's recently rolled out series of webinars on waivers and authorizations the FAA narrator stated that including the make and model of sUAS on the application was optional with one specific exception - that being that an application for BVLOS waivers must include the specific equipment (aircraft and supplemental gear) to be utilized. So, you should be good to go with any airworthy sUAS. But, if in doubt, a quick phone call to your local FISDO should set your mind at ease.

Cheers!

After talking with the FAA, they have advised me that the Airspace Authorizations ARE UAV specific.
Edward, that's interesting since it seems to contradict what the FAA's own waiver/authorization webinar (
). Specifically, at 21:33 Kevin Morris (the webinar's host and an FAA Aviation Safety Inspector) discusses Part 3 of the application "sUAS Details" and in the accompanying chart it states: 1) "may select any sUAS you have registered", 2) "option to add an sUAS that is not in your inventory", 3) "not required to enter any sUAS information [except when applying for operation over people, BVLOS, or altitude waivers]."

Edward, that's interesting since it seems to contradict what the FAA's own waiver/authorization webinar (
). Specifically, at 21:33 Kevin Morris (the webinar's host and an FAA Aviation Safety Inspector) discusses Part 3 of the application "sUAS Details" and in the accompanying chart it states: 1) "may select any sUAS you have registered", 2) "option to add an sUAS that is not in your inventory", 3) "not required to enter any sUAS information [except when applying for operation over people, BVLOS, or altitude waivers]."

Edward can correct me, but I think Edward means in his particular case his authorizations are UAV specific because he wrote them into his application.

I don't think Edward is trying to say everyones authorizations are UAV specific.

Except the FAA reps told me this "The make, model and registration number are required of the aircraft that will operate under the waiver."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rats404