Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

"Must be nice flying toys all day" - *sigh*

Nitz

Reaction score
I can't count how many times I hear that from people when I tell them what I do. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or energy to explain how I WISH it was just that.
It's hard to explain that not only do I fly it, I also have to be knowledgeable in other areas

• Videography
  • Photography
  • Photogrammetry
  • Orthophotography
  • Geo-spatial Systems
  • Electric Systems
  • Technical Systems (No tech support in the field)
Not to mention all the laws, regulations, ordinances, etc. then on top of ALL of that ... THE PAPERWORK!

Yes...yes, that's all I do is fly toys...

It doesn’t help that the media that exposes the public to drones, providing them 99% of what they’ve learned about drones, be that fact or fiction, presents them as frivolous, dangerous toys.

I have had a very different response from people at the college and the power company (dam inspection). Most are interested, ask what is involved in getting into the business. I did have one of the foreman's ask me if I worked up a sweat and must be a tough job, I laughed and told him it is but somebody must do it.
My job at the college will end August of 2020 and at that point I'll be 72 and guess I will probably retire again. The dam inspection is only twice a year and not even sure if I'll do that. I said all that to say I can then become a hobbyist and break all the rules.:confused:

Must be nice. I see all these beautiful videos folks post....beautiful countryside, mountains, spectacular beaches.... and then I look at my videos of storage compounds, apartment complexes, strip malls, parking lots and new subdivisions breaking ground and cutting streets..... (sigh) must be nice......

Reactions: PatR
Turning you hobby into a paying job or doing your job for fun are not easy things to do. Fun soon turns into work and working all the time is not fun.

Learned that the hard way after using the RC hobby and full scale flying as stepping stones to a UAV career. A couple years later neither full scale or RC wasn’t fun anymore.

Must be nice. I see all these beautiful videos folks post....beautiful countryside, mountains, spectacular beaches.... and then I look at my videos of storage compounds, apartment complexes, strip malls, parking lots and new subdivisions breaking ground and cutting streets..... (sigh) must be nice......
...if only you had a toy....

Turning you hobby into a paying job or doing your job for fun are not easy things to do. Fun soon turns into work and working all the time is not fun.

Learned that the hard way after using the RC hobby and full scale flying as stepping stones to a UAV career. A couple years later neither full scale or RC wasn’t fun anymore.

Same boat here. I used to fly "RC for fun" every single weekend and many evenings in the summer. Now my "fun" RC aircraft are all pretty much hanger queens. I fly RC plane/heli maybe a dozen times a year and most of those are for demonstration/show purposes now.

...if only you had a toy....

Actually....I do have several tiny toy drones I buzz around in the house. They’re a lot of fun to fly and other than my Tello, can be a bit of a challenge. I’ve got one the size of my thumb (Hubsan Nano) and a palm sized SYMA X20 that flies really well.....and a JJRC H20 mini hex that’s palm sized. And I’ve got my Mavic Air, just no time recently to fly it since I get my work done early morning before the heat sets in....by the afternoon it’s 102+ around here lately......

I never got into RC aircraft but they do seem like fun. I actually bought my drone for my previous business and that was home and commercial inspections. I got tired of climbing on roofs and the drone was a perfect tool for the roof inspection.
I have always loved photography and of course the drone became a nice addition to my photography hobby.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Often I get... "my brother has one of those too, kinda pricey, think he paid $100 or so for it". I just nod and say ya they can get up there pretty high. (While landing an Inspire 2 X5S ).

Or the " ya got a camera on that thing, use could use it to spy".

Not even worth while to engage a conversation, no clue!

I do enjoy the folk that ask intelligent or quizzical questions. They show an interest and appreciation to understand... that's generally a guy above mid-50's or mid-teens.

Get this little guy.....$20 and a real hoot to fly around the house....through stuff, chase the cat.....

That looks to beat my little one... I think an X10 or something... about 1/3 palm size.

Camera angle downward a bit? Many are straight out.

I can't count how many times I hear that from people when I tell them what I do. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or energy to explain how I WISH it was just that.
It's hard to explain that not only do I fly it, I also have to be knowledgeable in other areas

• Videography
  • Photography
  • Photogrammetry
  • Orthophotography
  • Geo-spatial Systems
  • Electric Systems
Not to mention all the laws, regulations, ordinances, etc. then on top of ALL of that ... THE PAPERWORK!

There is time and money pressure, and complications in any work field, especially if you run your own business. You left out, risk of getting sued!

Reactions: dougcjohn
You left out, risk of getting sued!

That little tidbit causes more concern for me than anything else. Destroying an aircraft in a crash and having to replace it is far less of a worry than the possibility of getting sued for something.

There is time and money pressure, and complications in any work field, especially if you run your own business. You left out, risk of getting sued!
Great point, although doesn't the LLC and insurance within the LLC limit the success of personal suit and liabilities... basically why there is the LLC; a protective legal shield in ft of your personal assets.

I do like the new Insurance App offerings... they have 5 Star backing and can insure your LLC for greater than generally accepted levels of suit... as Medical & Law, watch how much you insure your business, if extreme high limits purchased, the rates are high and a suit win will normally cap at your Insured liability. Other professional fields limit this to manage caps.

Last edited:
That looks to beat my little one... I think an X10 or something... about 1/3 palm size.

Camera angle downward a bit? Many are straight out.

No camera.....doesn’t really need one, it’s a toy for in house flying.

I’ve got a tiny Hubsan Nano....the size of my thumb....buzzes like a bee and is a real challenge to control.....

• Videography
  • Photography
  • Photogrammetry
  • Orthophotography
  • Geo-spatial Systems
  • Electric Systems

Yeah I hear it all the time too.

My response is "Yeah this job has its ups and downs".

Most get it hehe

Reactions: Nitz
Thankfully I have never heard that rubbish yet. Were I to do so I wold remind them of how much it cost. How much it cost to insure. How much it cost for my PfCO and finally ask them if they could do the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN