Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

My drone was previously registered but not showing up in part 107

Bob

Reaction score
I previously registered my drone (as per the law, it was just as a hobby then) in Nov 2016 it expires in Nov 2018. I went to the FAA Drone Zone and it does not show my previous registration under the 107 dashboard but it does under the 336 dashboard. I have 1 drone do I need to register it again as new under the part 107? I could not find a way to transfer it over. Did I miss something?

Hobby Registration is separate from Commercial and yes if you registered it as hobby then you go back and re-register it under Commercial and give them $5 again.

There is no pathway to transfer over from one to the other. Hobby is basically registering YOU as a hobby operator (Same # goes on all your sUAS) while Commercial is registering the specific aircraft.

Reactions: shooter
I sort of thought that, thank you

I want to stress that if you fly both Part 107 and Part 336 with the same aircraft you do NOT need both types of registration on the aircraft. In fact having both on the aircraft isn't legal. If you fly both then you only need Commercial Registration #'s on the aircraft.

Al, can you elaborate on that? Drone Zone is a bit confusing. If a drone was registered under part 336 and will now be used under Part 107 as well as hobby use do you simply remove the 336 registration decal and let it expire?
It seemed like the way I read something on dronezone was that they seemed to imply you should register it under both, but I'm likely wrong.

@Geo_in_KS

Can you show us what you saw on DroneZone?

If you originally registered under 336, then you can just remove that sticker and put your new 107 registration number for that specific vehicle on it somewhere. Like @BigAl07 said, the 336 registration is independent of the vehicle, therefore you can use that registration number on multiple vehicles. For 107, each individual vehicle needs a separate registration number.

Having a 107 registration on a particular vehicle allows you to use that vehicle for both recreation and commercial whereas having just the 336 restricts you to recreation only.

48.110 and 48.115 may help. 14 CFR Part 48, Subpart B - Certificates of Aircraft Registration for Small Unmanned Aircraft

This answers the question "Can I fly recreationally using part 107?" Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions (See "Flying for fun..., Section 2, Option 2)

@B_Dawson pretty much nailed it.

Al, can you elaborate on that? Drone Zone is a bit confusing. If a drone was registered under part 336 and will now be used under Part 107 as well as hobby use do you simply remove the 336 registration decal and let it expire?
It seemed like the way I read something on dronezone was that they seemed to imply you should register it under both, but I'm likely wrong.

336 - Register the operator and place the same reg# on all hobby/recreational aircraft.

Part107 is aircraft specific. Each aircraft gets it's own unique Commercial Reg#.

If you fly your aircraft for Hobby and for Commercial you ONLY register it under Part 107. If you already have a Hobby Reg simply remove that sticker from the aircraft and replace it with your Part 107 Reg for that specific aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM